Waterford hurler cashing in on eBay

Started by Bord na Mona man, August 26, 2008, 10:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Hold tough a minute. What exactly is wrong with it? Fair enough a charity auction would be a nice idea, but that should be his decision. Lads swap jersies after almost every game these days, the man would have about 20 of them at least I'd say. What's wrong with him selling them off to make a few bob? I don't see a problem here. Plus the people who buy them might like the idea that these jersies are actually worn in matches.

timmykelleher

The problem would be  that he gets the jersey for playing.
If he swaps this for money then he is getting money for playing.

Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

scalder

AZOffaly

Quote from: timmykelleher on September 02, 2008, 01:22:18 PM
The problem would be  that he gets the jersey for playing.
If he swaps this for money then he is getting money for playing.

Ah, that's a bit of a harsh assessment. If I won a barbeque playing golf, and sold it on eBay, am I a professional golfer?

timmykelleher

Do you not like Barbecues?
If you sold your barbecue you wouldn't be a professional.
However if the Golf club gave you a set of clubs to play every round in the competition and you sold each of them the waters get a bit muddier.
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

AZOffaly

Quote from: timmykelleher on September 02, 2008, 01:55:56 PM
However if the Golf club gave you a set of clubs to play every round in the competition and you sold each of them the waters get a bit muddier.

Alright to stretch this analogy to death, if I was a golfer playing on the Pierce Purcell or Jimmy Bruin team, and the club gave me a new pair of golf shoes every week, or even a new club sweater or something, am I professional if I sold them on? I don't think so.

cornafean

Whatever about professionalism, this isn't exactly a sign of class...
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

EddieMerx

What about the idiots who are willing to spend over €500 on a bloody jersey! Is there any difference between a replica and an original apart from having a number on the back (which could be done for a few euro) No wonder the economy is the way it is with people wasting cash like that.

Puckoon

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 02, 2008, 01:57:43 PM
Quote from: timmykelleher on September 02, 2008, 01:55:56 PM

Alright to stretch this analogy to death, if I was a golfer playing on the Pierce Purcell or Jimmy Bruin team, and the club gave me a new pair of golf shoes every week, or even a new club sweater or something, am I professional if I sold them on? I don't think so.

No, but you are making money off the privileged postition you are in, and abusing the people who argued for years for player welfare. If a player gets 3 pairs of boots a season, this is to prevent the player having to shell out for boots, not for him to make a handy 300 Euros. Those who work tirelessly to ensure the players are looked after, are in it to make sure they are not out of pocket - not profiting. "If" those boots he is selling came from Co Board money, then fundamentally I think it wrong.

magickingdom

not so sure about selling swapped jerseys but selling his own, i wouldn't have a problem with. if he gets a holiday out of it good luck to him

dodo

If he has any sense he'll be buying jerseys at cost price from Ken's sports shop and selling them on at a profit, letting on that they are his.

NAG

This reminds me of the stories of the english world cup winners who had to sell their medals off either to pay of their debts or just to survive. There is something with this it stinks from high heaven if you ask me, essentially the jerseys are his but they are only his, to acknowledge his participation in that game, IMO it totally disrepects everything that the game stands for let alone the player that he swapped jerseys with.

I think this reflect the lack of class that has been shown by this group of players form the begining of this year, can you imagine cody or joe kernans reaction to something like this. Kernan wouldnt even let the boys swap jerseys because no one else had earned the right to wear one of their jerseys.

To me it is profiteering at its most grubby.

Hardy

I don't like it either. I don't dispute his right to do it, but it looks a bit shabby and not in keeping with the traditional respect for the jersey that is part of the fabric (sorry) of the GAA. I don't want to be hard on the lad, but it's just another illustration that people these days are conscious of the price of everything but the value of nothing.

anglocelt39

This weeks Munster Express Newspaper features a pic of Eoin McGrath presenting the proceeds of a raffle of the jersey he wore against Tipp to Bridget Roche of St Patricks Hospital. Either somebodys paid a few bob for a dud or else we have one non-story doing the rounds, take your pick. Fitzy was in the pic as well as a matter of interest.

Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

EddieMerx

I'd say the person who bought A replica Waterford jersey on ebay is somewhat feeling stupid now...