The green Party!

Started by An Gaeilgoir, August 25, 2008, 12:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

QuoteCRH emit more CO2 in to the Irish air than the whole of Luxemburg

There's a great yarn about CRH and climate change negotiations (which for libel purposes, I won't repeat) - this report would lead me to believe that the knives are out in Custom House for CRH, especially as there's no mention of the ESB.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hardy

What's Luxembourg doing emitting CO2 into the Irish air?

Anyway, I'd love to see the greens embark on another vote-multiplying campaign by looking to close the cement factories!

Lecale2

Why do so many politicians want to bash motorists? Do they not realise that a large % of the voting population drive?

Gnevin

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on August 28, 2008, 11:02:21 AM
Just heard on the radio that CRH emit more CO2 in to the Irish air than the whole of Luxemburg......I thought the greens were ready to take on big business in their crusade for cleaner air, well maybe next year.... ordinary Joe will have to suffer this year.

CRH?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

mylestheslasher

Gnevin - you were saying there you saved some money on the new VRT/Tax changes championed by  the greens but that is another bullshit idea they came up with. If  they were really interested in making a change why not change the car tax across the board? So what they have done now is create the following situation...

You buy a Honda Accord, 2.2 Dsl in Dec 07 - Tax = €750
Buy it in Jan o8 - Tax = €290

Total insanity if you ask me. You might have worked out on the right side of the law but people like me who always owned clean diesels are now getting shafted. I predict melt down for the greens at the next election.

muppet

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 28, 2008, 02:30:20 PM
Gnevin - you were saying there you saved some money on the new VRT/Tax changes championed by  the greens but that is another bullshit idea they came up with. If  they were really interested in making a change why not change the car tax across the board? So what they have done now is create the following situation...

Total insanity if you ask me. You might have worked out on the right side of the law but people like me who always owned clean diesels are now getting shafted. I predict melt down for the greens at the next election.

The logical course of action would be to scrap car tax and put higher duty on fuel. That way the polluters would pay for causing pollution. Businesses could get tax breaks which would offset some of the cost and as most bigger engines would burn more fuel then it would cost more to run. Fair all round.

But the Greens hands are tied by the various vested interests just like every other party.
MWWSI 2017

Bogball XV

Quote from: Gnevin on August 27, 2008, 12:00:45 PM
Well i have to say after the VRT  changes which i save a couple of k ,I'd serious consider giving them a vote .
not having a go at you gnevin, but that's the wrong attitude, and that's precisely the problem that politicians have in this country, self interest seems to determine how every vote is cast, and because of that we have this constant cycle of governments afraid to take the hard decisions.  Granted it's probably much the same everywhere, but somewhere down the line people have to start and take the common good into account.
In general their VRT changes have been sensible, pity about the car tax fiasco, but muppet has is on the ball as regards that and the fuel duty etc.
As for the motorway speed reduction, there's no chance it'll happen, they have what 5/6 seats in a govt of 88, no chance, but as J70 says, at least they're thinking.

Gnevin

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 28, 2008, 02:30:20 PM

The law has t change sometime and their will always be winners and losers.

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 28, 2008, 03:11:50 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on August 27, 2008, 12:00:45 PM
Well i have to say after the VRT  changes which i save a couple of k ,I'd serious consider giving them a vote .
not having a go at you gnevin, but that's the wrong attitude, and that's precisely the problem that politicians have in this country, self interest seems to determine how every vote is cast, and because of that we have this constant cycle of governments afraid to take the hard decisions.  Granted it's probably much the same everywhere, but somewhere down the line people have to start and take the common good into account.
In general their VRT changes have been sensible, pity about the car tax fiasco, but muppet has is on the ball as regards that and the fuel duty etc.
As for the motorway speed reduction, there's no chance it'll happen, they have what 5/6 seats in a govt of 88, no chance, but as J70 says, at least they're thinking.
I said consider as in before they got into government and effected my life directly i was totally opposed to giving them a vote. Now if i vote for them I would have to weigh up their good ideas with their lets all live in a cave type ideas
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.