Aidan O'Mahony = Pathetic

Started by Tankie, August 24, 2008, 05:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

That probably the most stupid incident I ever saw... both should have known better!

The ONLY thing I would say for Zidane is that he was playing in the biggest football game in the world and he notoriously suffers from nerves so the slightest thing could have tipped his mental state over the edge. That was a clear moment of insanity from Zidane where I think he completely lost it. O'Se was more of a rabbit punch and he didn't really look as though he was that out of control.

Bottom line is that the stupidity from Zidane and O'Se shows that there can be benefits to firing a few verbals at lads who mabe can't handle it and most teams will take any advantage they can get these days... ironically O'Se and Zidane are encouraging this practice by their antics rather than stopping it!

Billys Boots

QuoteBottom line is that the stupidity from Zidane and O'Se shows that there can be benefits to firing a few verbals at lads who mabe can't handle it and most teams will take any advantage they can get these days... ironically O'Se and Zidane are encouraging this practice by their antics rather than stopping it!

Yup, yup and yup.  But shouldn't there be protection of these players against verbals, which (in my view) is as bad (and as contrary to the spirit of the game) as diving?

Incidentally, I read Ed Smith's analysis of Zidane's misdemeanour in his excellent book on sport - very interesting about sport in general.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Sport-Tells-About-Life/dp/0670917222/ref=pd_ys_iyr46
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

orangeman

Cork's Donnacha O'Connor is available for selection for this Sundays All-Ireland Football semi-final replay against Kerry.

The attacker was send off for slapping Kerry defender Aidan O'Mahony last Sunday, however, the red card and the four week suspension has been overturned by the Central Hearings Committee and he is free to play this weekend.

Justice is served !!!!!!!!!!!!!

AZOffaly

Kerry have now won this replay.

orangeman

full back

Holy fcuk
This is going to open some can of worms
How do you now differentiate between a hard slap & a not so hard hard slap

bcarrier

Justice my arse.

O'Mahony was out of order but this is a right hole they are digging for themselves now.

Is a deliberate slap in the face a sending off  offence or not ?

AZOffaly

Quote from: full back on August 28, 2008, 01:03:22 PM
Holy fcuk
This is going to open some can of worms
How do you now differentiate between a hard slap & a not so hard hard slap

I think this is an example of hard cases making for bad laws. O'Connor was sent off for a literal interpretation of the rules (aided by O'Mahony's theatrics). Whether he would have been sent off if O'Mahony hadn't collapsed like a house of cards is a moot point, but this decision would seem very strange.

Maybe ProZone have invented slapometers, and the GAA will use them to guage ferocity from now on :D

ríochtciarraí

Good to see him back common sense has probably prevailed alright to be fair. This could open a can of worms however as to what constitutes striking. God only knows what the repurcussions of this will be. Are the referees now to be in charge of deciding how hard a slap has to be to constitute a strike? My understanding was that raising your hand and hitting another player, regardless of the force, is 'striking'. I realise he hardly touched AOM but this is an extremely dangerous road they are going down. Will all (if any) players currently suspended for striking now appeal citing their slap was not hard enough to constitute a strike? What repurcussions does this have for club games and all other games where video analysis is unavailable? This is going to rear its ugly head long after this years championship is forgotten about. As I said though it is probably only right he is back. Sort of.................

Kerry 2008 - Helping to sort out all the anomolies in the GAA rule book by selflessly sacrificing their own players.

orangeman

Quote from: bcarrier on August 28, 2008, 01:04:15 PM
Justice my arse.

O'Mahony was out of order but this is a right hole they are digging for themselves now.

Is a deliberate slap in the face a sending off  offence or not ?

Here we go again unfortunately ! I agree the GAA have made a stick to beat themselves with. I'd love to hear the justification for this.

Billys Boots

As pathetic a decision as O'Mahony's was ... but hardly unexpected.   ::)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

his holiness nb

Anyone not being anal over the strict interpretation of the rules will use common sense and say he should not have been sent off.
Its not like it was a weak punch versus a hard one ffs. Yeah a strike, but an open hand tap on the cheek, come on lads!
If we are going to go down that road you could claim that a pat on the back is also striking. Will be see multiple red cards after games from now on for this?

Whatever about legalities, using common sense as a barometre justice was done. Except perhaps that O'Mahony gets to play the replay.
Ask me holy bollix

muppet

The title of this thread should be changed to Gaa Rules and Procedures = Pathetic..

Why bother with a referee the next day? The CHC should sit on the sideline calling the shots with the CCCC up in the pundits box available to change anything that is queried. The DRA could be in an outside broadcasting unit waiting to reverse something that some one is really really really sorry for, while we should have a High Court sitting convened during the match, just in case like.

BTW, expect slapping to be extremely popular now.

MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 28, 2008, 01:13:09 PM
Anyone not being anal over the strict interpretation of the rules will use common sense and say he should not have been sent off.
Its not like it was a weak punch versus a hard one ffs. Yeah a strike, but an open hand tap on the cheek, come on lads!
If we are going to go down that road you could claim that a pat on the back is also striking. Will be see multiple red cards after games from now on for this?

Whatever about legalities, using common sense as a barometre justice was done. Except perhaps that O'Mahony gets to play the replay.

That's pure rubbish. Using 'commonsense' is no basis for deciding justice or not. Perhaps the referee should have exercised common sense, but if he was reported for striking, and he did strike (even if it was like a woman), then he had to be suspended.

If not, then the gaa needs to reword the rule to say, striking with an open hand is a yellow card offence, as long as it's only a light tap. How would you even enforce that? Common sense is not an option in this case.

theskull1

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 28, 2008, 12:58:32 PM
Kerry have now won this replay.

What? Are you suggesting that this is thee motivational tool for O'Shea going into the replay :o

I'm sure O'Shea won't focus too much on that incident if he's any sense

Same as orangeman....was Kerry winning the replay ever in doubt?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera