Aidan O'Mahony = Pathetic

Started by Tankie, August 24, 2008, 05:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mickey

great decision....first time in a long time that the gaa has applied common sense to a situation such as this.brilliant.rules cannot simply be interpreted in black and white.to do that would destroy our game.they have to implemented by well trained officials who have a understanding of our game and what it stands for.every incident is different and must be treated as such.too many people who havent played the game are commenting on this topic and they are the ones talking bullshit about "lift your hands and you walk",thats not a rule people,strking is a sending of offence and in the mans world of gaelic football,a slap isnt a strike and id like to keep it that way.thank-you

orangeman

Quote from: Big Mickey on August 29, 2008, 04:28:30 PM
great decision....first time in a long time that the gaa has applied common sense to a situation such as this.brilliant.rules cannot simply be interpreted in black and white.to do that would destroy our game.they have to implemented by well trained officials who have a understanding of our game and what it stands for.every incident is different and must be treated as such.too many people who havent played the game are commenting on this topic and they are the ones talking bullshit about "lift your hands and you walk",thats not a rule people,strking is a sending of offence and in the mans world of gaelic football,a slap isnt a strike and id like to keep it that way.thank-you

Correct ! You're 100% right about that !  ;)

screenexile

Load of balls... slapping an opponent cannot and should not be allowed in our game. I know people don't like this but you have to think of the children. Kids are going to see that this kind of behaviour is now condoned and it will be happening all over the place before you know it. O'Connor should be banned as well!

Big Mickey

na,i would be more worried about children seeing omahonys behaviour and them thinking that screeming into an opponents face is ok and then behaving like he did just to get a man sent off. it shows a total lack of respect for your opponent and once that starts creeping into our game you'l have alot more problems. if children where taught to play hard,put the hits in but also expect to get them back and take them when they come your way then theyd have alot more respect for their opponent and this would lead to less problems.

anyway, a minor slap shouldnt be an offence is gaelic football,its not striking.sure for gods sake everytime a man has a ball he's almost guaranteed to get at least 3 slaps on the head (more if ur playing arboe! ;)),is this striking. gaelic football is a different game than soccer and the rules cannot be implemented in the same way so stop trying to.

bunch of pansies

AZOffaly

Ironically, that's how Cork got Lynch off the last time. Joe McQuillan (again) had reported him for 'striking', but Frank and co were able to show that he hadn't actually made contact with Donaghy, so technically he should have been sent off for 'attempting to strike', therefore he was let off on that technicality.

Common sense didn't seem to tog out that particular day.

BennyHarp

Now that o'connor has had his card rescinded, in effect meaning that he didnt commit an offence, then the logical path to follow would be to take action against o'mahony for his role in the incident and fo bringing the game into disrepute!

I think some people here have been watching too much premiership - people saying "if he raises his hand" then he has to be sent off is taken directly from the commentators on sky or match of the day! I agree with big mickey - thats not a strike. I would consider what o'connor did as provocation rather than striking!
That was never a square ball!!

thirteen03

Quote from: Big Mickey on August 29, 2008, 04:48:31 PM
i would be more worried about children seeing omahonys behaviour and them thinking that screeming into an opponents face is ok and then behaving like he did just to get a man sent off. it shows a total lack of respect for your opponent and once that starts creeping into our game you'l have alot more problems

You could say the same thing about slapping an opponent in the face. It shows a lack of respect and it would be as effective as screeming into an opponents face for getting a reaction.

It is a mans game and players do expect to take hits. You're right mickey, when you're on the ball you should expect a few hits, maybe in the head, but this is not comparable to O'Connor's slap. He slapped a fella in the face and ones are chattin about him like he's the victim and he's only trying to play like a man.

On the subject of black and white rules vs common sense. I think a ref's job is hard enough and as much as possible should be made black and white. What's common sense to one man is an obvious mistake to another (as illustrated by this debate), so if things aren't black and white you're guaranteed inconsistency.

Armamike

Quote from: screenexile on August 29, 2008, 04:31:33 PM
Load of balls... slapping an opponent cannot and should not be allowed in our game. I know people don't like this but you have to think of the children. Kids are going to see that this kind of behaviour is now condoned and it will be happening all over the place before you know it. O'Connor should be banned as well!

It was only a matter of time before somebody mentioned the children.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Armagh Exile

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 29, 2008, 05:16:23 PM
Ironically, that's how Cork got Lynch off the last time. Joe McQuillan (again) had reported him for 'striking', but Frank and co were able to show that he hadn't actually made contact with Donaghy, so technically he should have been sent off for 'attempting to strike', therefore he was let off on that technicality.

Common sense didn't seem to tog out that particular day.

A Cork player only 'strikes' in the late winter/early spring.

RadioGAAGAA

Too many poofs about these days.

Never a sending off.

If yez can't handle a mans game - feel free to f**k off to soccer

;D
i usse an speelchekor

john mcgill

An old boss of mine, when bemoaning the increasing bureaucracy in life, used to say there are too many nuclear weapons in the world and not enough slaps in the mouth.  He never watched GAA!

On_the_Couch

There is a whole lot of crap on here about slapping and sending people of for it - watch the 3 games tomorrow - I bet if you took the ultra-strict interpretation that some are advocating, at least 80 players would be sent off.  Let's not turn Gaelic football a sport for a bunch of whinging babies. 

blanketattack

Donncha O'Connor's ban being cancelled had nothing to do with the fact he slapped AOM rather than struck him but was due to a technicality found in the referees wording of the report.

Hardy

How did you find this out, blanketattack? All of GAAdom, not least the Kerry county board has been agog to find out the reason O'Connor's ban was rescinded. I don't know if your information is official, but I'd guess it's correct. I can't imagine  that the CHC would have decided it wasn't a strike, or that the referee erred or that this was a good way to punish O'Mahony's theatrics. None of those would stand up, so I presume The Wig must have pulled another piece of loopholery.

pintsofguinness

thirteen
QuoteYou could say the same thing about slapping an opponent in the face. It shows a lack of respect and it would be as effective as screeming into an opponents face for getting a reaction.

It is a mans game and players do expect to take hits. You're right mickey, when you're on the ball you should expect a few hits, maybe in the head, but this is not comparable to O'Connor's slap. He slapped a fella in the face and ones are chattin about him like he's the victim and he's only trying to play like a man.
excellent point.  So we're allowing slaps in the face now? What if someone hits somone a slap in the face and gets a thump back, is it the one who thumps gets sent off?

btw, FAO THOSE TALKING ABOUT "POOFS" AND IT BEING A MAN'S GAME
Would you mind telling me what sort of a man hits someone a slap across the face?
It's something a woman would be at.  :D
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?