Aidan O'Mahony = Pathetic

Started by Tankie, August 24, 2008, 05:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue and Navy

Will O'Mahony be in the next Snickers Mr T ad?

And just on Muppets comments on Conor "Mayo will win nothing without me" Mortimer, when Mort scored the goal, he was punched in the net and the umpire HELD HIM BACK so as he wudn't seek retribution- now if the umpire seen the incident and felt the need to hold back the Mayo player, then why didn't he feel the need to inform the ref of the incident? Clearly picking the ball off the ground is more detrimental to the game than hitting players off the ball?

muppet

Quote from: Blue and Navy on August 27, 2008, 03:27:35 PM
Will O'Mahony be in the next Snickers Mr T ad?

And just on Muppets comments on Conor "Mayo will win nothing without me" Mortimer, when Mort scored the goal, he was punched in the net and the umpire HELD HIM BACK so as he wudn't seek retribution- now if the umpire seen the incident and felt the need to hold back the Mayo player, then why didn't he feel the need to inform the ref of the incident? Clearly picking the ball off the ground is more detrimental to the game than hitting players off the ball?

I would say the ref was holding Mort up so he couldn't dive.

Zoyler if a player goes down with a serious injury and this injury (say a neck injury) is compounded by another player rushing in to lift him, the GAA, the team of the player doing the lifting or the player himself doing the lifting, or all 3 would be fleeced in court.

You can't hide behind 'it's just one of those things Judge' or 'it's all part of the game' especially if it happened off the ball.
MWWSI 2017

Billys Boots

QuoteHow does this make O'Neill comparable to O'Mahony?

As I agreed with AZ before GBB, "Cheating with an aim to directly get an opponent sent off for no, or little, reason, is very low in my book."

If you are inclined to say that sledging and taunting are not illegal, I'd answer that isn't diving either, but neither are sporting behaviour.  I wouldn't agree with those who've suggested that what O'Mahony did was less 'manly' than what O'Neill did.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 27, 2008, 03:44:53 PM
QuoteHow does this make O'Neill comparable to O'Mahony?

As I agreed with AZ before GBB, "Cheating with an aim to directly get an opponent sent off for no, or little, reason, is very low in my book."

If you are inclined to say that sledging and taunting are not illegal, I'd answer that isn't diving either, but neither are sporting behaviour.  I wouldn't agree with those who've suggested that what O'Mahony did was less 'manly' than what O'Neill did.

Yes but there is simply no evidence to say O'Neill was cheating. Everyone can plainly see what O'Mahony was up to. It is unfair on O'Neill to brand him with the same brush with practically nothing to back it up. Who's to say that both O'Neill and O'Se were mouthing at each other and O'Se simply lost his rag.

A bit of balance needed before we go branding every player who gets a belt as a cheat who was looking to get someone sent off.

Turlough O Carolan

Quote from: muppet on August 27, 2008, 01:21:11 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 27, 2008, 12:14:29 PMI think it's certainly worse than two lads beating each other. (Despite what the media would say). This is cheating. Throwing slaps in a row is just stupidity or temper.

AZ you normally speak sense but this is where we disagree.

I cannot accept feigning injury is worse than trying to cause injury.

The thing is that it is assumed by some here that throwing a punch is instinctive or a reflex action and therefore, while no one is arguing against sanction, it is an action understood to be in 'hot blood'. The  argument against O'Mahoney is that he somehow planned this.

I would guess that when O'Mahoney got his slap the first thing on his mind was to knock the Cork lad's block off, but he hesitated and before he knew what had happened he found himself diving.

This happened in the 2001 Connacht Final. Ray Connelly and Frankie Dolan squared up before Dolan went down clutching his head. The ref arrived taking out his book but Dolan copped himself on, jumped to his feet and admitted to the ref nothing had happened. The still ref sent off Connelly.

Most people felt Dolan had redeemed himself by trying to prevent the sending off despite his stupid reaction.   

Somewhat related. Last year Frankie struck out at a Galway selector in the Connacht club match. Not sure he even connected, but intent was there, and it was a striking action. However selector took a big backward dive, threw two legs up into the air, like he was shot. Dolan got suspended for 8 weeks. No objections. What amazes is that Cork are objecting in a similar circumstance, and they and many in the media and here believe they have right on their side. Time the big counties were dished out the same treatment as the small.

spectator

Quote from: muppet on August 27, 2008, 01:21:11 PM

This happened in the 2001 Connacht Final. Ray Connelly and Frankie Dolan squared up before Dolan went down clutching his head. The ref arrived taking out his book but Dolan copped himself on, jumped to his feet and admitted to the ref nothing had happened. The still ref sent off Connelly.

Most people felt Dolan had redeemed himself by trying to prevent the sending off despite his stupid reaction.    

Incorrect, Muppet, imho. What actually happened was;

Peter Burke, the Mayo keeper, challenged Frankie head high as they contested the ball. Frankie subsequently explained on local radio that he was always coached to go down if he was illegally challenged in such a manner - he played and excelled mostly at soccer as a teenager, so that's probably where it came from.

Unfortunately for Ray Connelly, who i think was making his first full championship appearance that day(?), he arrived on the scene immediately afterwards.

Anyway, the ref consulted with his umpires & on their advice, showed an incredulous Connelly a straight red card.

Frankie then pointed out to the ref that he had sent off the wrong man,- ie Burke who was the guilty party in Frankie's eyes - but the ref's mind  wasn't for changing & so the wrong man walked.

Most Mayo supporters simply misinterpreted what happened.

Tahht's understandable really, as Frankie went on to play a significant role in helping Ros to an amazing win, which severely punctured Mayo's genuine expectations of AI success. It was a season of great optimism for Mayo up to that point, as Cross had made the AI breakthrough at club level & a national league title had been won.

The following national and local newspaper clips reported the incident correctly at the time though;

Indo - Eugene McGee Column

Incidentally, is it possible that the wrong man, Ray Connelly was sent off for an attack on Frankie Dolan? Dolan himself seemed to be pointing out a different player so we must await developments.

Examiner - Mark Gallagher

Dolan will be remembered in Mayo for more notorious reasons, though. With twelve minutes remaining, the scores level, Dolan was pushed by Mayo keeper Peter Burke. There followed a couple of minutes of heated exchanges before, under his umpire's instruction, Seamus McCormack inexplicably sent off Ray Connelly.

Rubbing his jaw, Dolan shook off the challenge to play a role in Roscommon's first goal.

His running unsettled Mayo defenders, who left Gerry Lohan free. Lohan was released by John Hanly and sliced the ball under Peter Burke's body.

Western People  [Local Mayo Paper]

Wrong call by referee
Then came an incident which had a major bearing on the match. One would want to have a heart of stone not to feel for Ray Connelly from Hollymount who was on the receiving end of an extremely harsh decision when sent to the line by referee. There is no doubt that Frankie Dolan made a meal of the incident but he did have the decency to say to the referee that it was not Ray Connelly who was at fault. The despondent manner in which Ray walked towards the dug-out said it all.
This was a serious mistake by the umpires at the town end and they completely misread the situation. The fact that Ray, who gave a very gutsy performance for Mayo, will almost certainly be fully exonerated at the relevant disciplinary meeting, is perhaps of little consolation to him this week. And referee Seamus McCormack from Meath should be man enough to contact Ray and apologise to him on this occasion

zoyler

For Mid-Louth -

I was merely pointing out that the 'modern era' is like 'the good old days' - It all depends where your starting from!!

Billys Boots

QuoteYes but there is simply no evidence to say O'Neill was cheating. Everyone can plainly see what O'Mahony was up to. It is unfair on O'Neill to brand him with the same brush with practically nothing to back it up.

After the Munster final, the dogs in the street (in Cork) were bragging about O'Neill getting O'Sé sent off - I can't know anything about what happened, for certain, but the odds (from my viewpoint) are that the 'trick' was being repeated (or O'Sé was being reminded about it) last Sunday.

screenexile

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 28, 2008, 09:17:21 AM
QuoteYes but there is simply no evidence to say O'Neill was cheating. Everyone can plainly see what O'Mahony was up to. It is unfair on O'Neill to brand him with the same brush with practically nothing to back it up.

After the Munster final, the dogs in the street (in Cork) were bragging about O'Neill getting O'Sé sent off - I can't know anything about what happened, for certain, but the odds (from my viewpoint) are that the 'trick' was being repeated (or O'Sé was being reminded about it) last Sunday.

In that case O'Se mustn't have a brain cell in his head! The same man riles him enough to get him sent off twice in the space of a few months and only by some freak of nature he won't miss the final over the 2nd incident? O'Se must be stupid!

Billys Boots

QuoteO'Se must be stupid!

As must all players who (continually) respond to verbal provocation about alleged sexual conduct of their loved ones - and that's entirely their (the players) own fault, isn't it screenexile?  Are you suggesting that sort of verbals is acceptable in the game?

full back

How can a man get sent of twice in the last few months & still only miss one game?
I know the first sending off was 2 yellows, but at some stage they have to start punishing serial offenders (this is not a witch hunt against O'Se, just an observation)

AZOffaly

The first sending off, or at least the second yellow card, was for a push under a dropping ball. It was a crazy yellow card. If he was sent off for striking, the ban would be doubled this time, I believe.

Rebel In The Kingdom

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 28, 2008, 09:31:38 AM

As must all players who (continually) respond to verbal provocation about alleged sexual conduct of their loved ones - and that's entirely their (the players) own fault, isn't it screenexile?  Are you suggesting that sort of verbals is acceptable in the game?

Are you suggesting that this is what O'Neill was up to?

screenexile

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 28, 2008, 09:31:38 AM

Of course it's not acceptable in the game but is my saying that on here going to stop it from happening? Really thoughare you going to take something some kn**ker says on a football pitch that seriously? Unless someone had died and I was taking it badly I can't see how I would be assed if some dickhead said "I  shagged your ma and your sister at the same time and they loved it". Really a man of O'Se's experience would need to wise up and let it go. He should have waited until the next 50/50 or even hit him a decent late tackle resulting in a booking for retribution rather than hitting him a slap in front of the referee... stupidity!

Billys Boots

QuoteReally thoughare you going to take something some kn**ker says on a football pitch that seriously?

Well, it happens (frequently), and to folk as experienced as O'Sé too.