Author Topic: The Official Golf Thread  (Read 434507 times)

Rois

• View Profile
Re: The Official Golf Thread
« Reply #5460 on: April 07, 2019, 10:17:01 AM »
Unless Iím in a mixed competition, canít see me being up against those. But plenty of star female golfers, a few of whom are on scholarships in the US.

Orior

• View Profile
« Reply #5461 on: April 07, 2019, 10:53:50 PM »
Played County Cavan today.

Nice course and friendly opposition.

Only positive is that I finished with the same ball that I started with, lol.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Frank_The_Tank

• View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: April 08, 2019, 09:43:51 AM »
Looking forward to The Masters this week - always a great weekend to watch. 
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #5463 on: April 08, 2019, 09:49:12 AM »
Great to see Leona Maguire get her first professional win at the weekend. She has a very bright future ahead of her and is backed by Niall Horan's golf management company.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/irelands-leona-maguire-secures-her-first-professional-victory-with-stunning-performance-in-california-37992392.html

Looking forward to the Masters and really rooting for Rory to do the business.

TheOptimist

• Stay til the end
    • View Profile
« Reply #5464 on: April 09, 2019, 08:57:11 AM »
Got my first round in today for my handicap
 Off the tee and putting I was shocking. Keep this up it will be a big one. Have to say though the two guys I played with at the club  were absolute gents and accommodating to my lack of class. Really made me enjoy it
 Things I done well and was happy with but didn't give myself a chance.

Putting is the easiest to fix through practice as you can always go to the putting green for a half hour....as for driving my advice would be to try a 3 or 5 wood to build up. In my experience too many beginners were trying to hit driver.......you are better off being 150 yards down the fairway than 250 into the trees or rough. We all had to start somewhere....if I remember correctly my first score returned in a competition was a gross 148😩.

So I went out to the range last night to figure out where I was going wrong with the driver. Wouldn't you know couldn't hit the thing any straighter.

Was out putting this morning. I've never really practised it before to be honest

cornerback

• View Profile
« Reply #5465 on: April 09, 2019, 10:27:37 AM »
 Off the tee and putting I was shocking. Keep this up it will be a big one. Have to say though the two guys I played with at the club  were absolute gents and accommodating to my lack of class. Really made me enjoy it

Putting is the easiest to fix through practice as you can always go to the putting green for a half hour....as for driving my advice would be to try a 3 or 5 wood to build up. In my experience too many beginners were trying to hit driver.......you are better off being 150 yards down the fairway than 250 into the trees or rough. We all had to start somewhere....if I remember correctly my first score returned in a competition was a gross 148😩.

So I went out to the range last night to figure out where I was going wrong with the driver. Wouldn't you know couldn't hit the thing any straighter.

Was out putting this morning. I've never really practised it before to be honest

Was doing the same last friday night at the range... then first tee on sunday morning - straight right out of bounds!!  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Insane Bolt

• View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: April 09, 2019, 01:00:12 PM »

Donít become obsessed with driver........try hitting your 3 or 5 ....build up your confidence.
As for putting practice......I used to do half hour.....started off just practicing distance putting..ie from one end of green to the other....not trying to hole anything......then would do 25 feet, 20 etc right down to 3 feet...and then I had to hole 20 in a row before I could quit....kept me focused.
Have you had any lessons?

Orior

• View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: April 09, 2019, 02:04:56 PM »
Explain to me why I can only hit the driver off the tee?

If its a longish par 3, then I would rather go down the shaft of my driver (ooh err missus) than hit a hybrid or 3 wood or 5 wood. These tend to either slice wildly right or snap hook left in 50 50 proportions.

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5468 on: April 09, 2019, 02:14:37 PM »
Explain to me why I can only hit the driver off the tee?

If its a longish par 3, then I would rather go down the shaft of my driver (ooh err missus) than hit a hybrid or 3 wood or 5 wood. These tend to either slice wildly right or snap hook left in 50 50 proportions.

You hit whatever club makes you feel good Orior . . . you just do you!

thebigfella

• View Profile
« Reply #5469 on: April 09, 2019, 05:39:03 PM »
Hit the driver and hit it hard as you can  ;D

To be honest the only way you can build up confidence with the driver is to play it - caveat being you don't have some underlying swing flaw (but that most likely manifests in the shorter woods too).

At the moment I'm toying around with the TM Gapr low 2 and 3 utility irons. Probs will be 3 with loft lowered as I prefer the club face to be open at address (lofting up on 2 closes it). Either way as the courses firm up I reckon it will replace the 3 wood option and certainly straight in the bag for a links.

TheOptimist

• Stay til the end
    • View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: April 10, 2019, 01:36:19 PM »

Donít become obsessed with driver........try hitting your 3 or 5 ....build up your confidence.
As for putting practice......I used to do half hour.....started off just practicing distance putting..ie from one end of green to the other....not trying to hole anything......then would do 25 feet, 20 etc right down to 3 feet...and then I had to hole 20 in a row before I could quit....kept me focused.

Never had a lesson. I've heard people advise it and others advise against it.

How much difference does the ball you use make?

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: April 10, 2019, 01:51:20 PM »

Lessons are worthwhile. Depends if you want to get better or if you're not to fussed. But if you want to improve it's a good investment.

The ball makes literally no difference. It's down to how the clubs, ball etc make you feel. At the top pro level the margins are so fine, a shot here a shot there over 72 holes the ball can make a marginal difference. But with average golfer on a Sunday roll up it doesn't matter a jack.

Applesisapples

• View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: April 11, 2019, 04:05:39 PM »

Lessons are worthwhile. Depends if you want to get better or if you're not to fussed. But if you want to improve it's a good investment.

The ball makes literally no difference. It's down to how the clubs, ball etc make you feel. At the top pro level the margins are so fine, a shot here a shot there over 72 holes the ball can make a marginal difference. But with average golfer on a Sunday roll up it doesn't matter a jack.
100% on the ball, I've played with Pro V I's and Sports Directs cheapest with no real difference. On lessons they are a great investment, but I take them on aspects that are causing me problems and ask the pro to give me one thing to change, you don't want 5 thoughts in your head.

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #5473 on: April 11, 2019, 07:33:59 PM »
The ball does make a difference.

New golfers and golfers with an erratic swing should stay away from balls with a high spin rate, as it will only accentuate the inevitable hook or slice.

And while I do believe that 99% of golfers get no benefit from a prov1 over the next rung of balls down, thereís no doubt that a softer ball provides a better feel on and around the greens.

Stay away from rock hard balls and stay away from high spin rates.

TwoUpTwoDown

• View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: April 11, 2019, 09:10:45 PM »
I'd classify myself as a solid golfer. For me that means I can play golf to a standard where I enjoy it  ;D the one thing I am fighting with, and always have, is a slice from left to right off the tee (right hander). Anybody any ideas on how to cut it out? Irons and short stuff has always been solid but when on the tee I have absolutely no idea about the final destination  ;D