The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Asal - both your players missed the cut last week at the SHO. Historically the odds of missing the cut and then winning the following week are pretty low. For that reason also Dustin Johnson is a big risk as a bet (hope that one bites me in the ass, I am having a nibble on Johnson).

G-MAC and Dufner don't hit the ball high for Augusta and G-MAC himself has said the course doesnt fit his eye. I'd like to punt on them both (Dufner particularly) but I don't think it's good value.

For an each way finish I like the following:

Patrick Reed
Jimmy Walker

Bit of a stretch for them to win, being first time invitees. Hasnt been done in my life time (Fuzzy Zoeller in 79). If anyone can break that it would be Reed however. Confidence is sky high and he hits it long and high.

To win I like one of

Rory - 65 on Sunday, good way to start it off and now the favourite in the bookies with the WD of Tiger

Phil - I'm kinda on the fence about him, but can never count him out. Augsuta suits lefties. Much easier to cut the ball than draw it and Augusta favours right to left. Lefties have won 5 out of the last 11 (granted, Phil has 3 of those).

Bubba - see above. Lefty love.

If I was to discount Bubba because he has won before and the second major is harder than the 3rd or 4th or 5th - my wild card pick is Jason Day. He isn't a wild card in regards to his odds - but the fact is he hasnt competed in 7 weeks due to a thumb injury. 2011 second, 2013 third and he can really over power the par 5s.

f**k it, it's a lottery! The best weekend in sports however.

Mikhailov

Quote from: Asal Mor on April 08, 2014, 04:14:02 PM
My Paddy Power account is approaching bankruptcy after some very unlucky(Galway to beat Clare, slightly unlucky(France to beat Ireland) and some downright idiotic(An English team to win the Champions League) bets. Anyone having a bet on the Masters?
It's always a lottery but I might go for Oosthuizen e/w at 70/1 and Kaymer at 150/1.

Great tournament thoroughly enhanced by the SKY coverage which as usual is 2nd to none. Fancy Rory or Schwartzel myself with Harris English a possible first time winner. E/W bet would be Rickie Fowler.

I actually placed a fair bit of money on Kaymer in previous Masters only to be reliably informed by a TV pundit on SKY that it is almost impossible for him to win the masters due to his 'fade' and he actually tried to convert to a 'draw' for this one tournament and failed miserably. Gmac is in the same boat with his low ball flight and therefore I never do him in this one as well.

A great weekends viewing and golf looks brilliant especially when the weather is good. Full of colour and everything in perfect condition. A few lads I know were there a few years ago and the one thing that took them totally by surprise was how many fairways were sloped sideways and how many hills there were all over the course and even in and around the greens....all said TV doesn't do it justice as to how difficult the course actually is.

So Rory and Schwartzel it is with English and Fowler to be EW bets.

Canalman

Will continue in my forlorn habit of backing Dustin Johnston. Maybe a small e/w bet on Cabrera also.

Sidney

I'll be supporting the two Irish players in the field - Graeme McDowell and Darren Clarke.

laoislad

It's time Lee Westwood won and payed me back for all the times I've backed him!
Sergio maybe....will I ever learn  ::)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Asal Mor

Sounds like ye know ye're stuff Mikhailov and Puck. Ye know more than me anyway. Might drop Kaymer and go for one of the citeogs.

Milltown Row2

Think I'll pick Rory. shot a 65 on the last day and may hit some form here early on, hopefully keeps it on the last day
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gabriel_Hurl

Tee Times/pairings for first 2 days

Minder

Think I will go with Harris English & Rickie Fowler, both 66/1. Couldn't back McIlroy at that price.

Paddy Power & Sean Graham are paying out on 6 places.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

heganboy

so a few quid each way for these 4 on Paddy power:

english 61/1
garcia 23/1
wee rory 11/1
Mr Freddie Couples Esquire 126/1
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Tony Baloney

Quote from: heganboy on April 08, 2014, 07:23:38 PM
so a few quid each way for these 4 on Paddy power:

english 61/1
garcia 23/1
wee rory 11/1
Mr Freddie Couples Esquire 126/1
Definitely worse e/w bets than Boom Boom. Would love to see Garcia or Westwood land one of the big ones. Don't think I will back Westwood anymore as not sure he can be consistent for 4 days on that track.

mouview

Quote from: Mikhailov on April 08, 2014, 05:33:17 PM
My Paddy Power account is approaching bankruptcy after some very unlucky(Galway to beat Clare, slightly unlucky(France to beat Ireland) and some downright idiotic(An English team to win the Champions League) bets. Anyone having a bet on the Masters?
It's always a lottery but I might go for Oosthuizen e/w at 70/1 and Kaymer at 150/1.

Great tournament thoroughly enhanced by the SKY coverage which as usual is 2nd to none. Fancy Rory or Schwartzel myself with Harris English a possible first time winner. E/W bet would be Rickie Fowler.

If you can stand the serial interruptions. Saw the Beeb preview earlier; Aliss just all over the place at this stage, time to be pensioned off now like the Masters champions of old.

The course's difficulty disguises somewhat the fact that the Masters is arguably the easiest Major to pick a winner from, this year in particular. If you take away the higher number than average of rookies (24), and sundry past winners who haven't a squeak (Woosnam, Lyle, Olazabal, Couples etc.), the list of genuine candidates is probably quite small. Have a sneaky feeling for Dufner, or maybe Zach Johnson.

DrinkingHarp

Here is a nice piece the Golf Channel did on the last remaining golfer, Errie Ball, from the first Masters (he is 104!!!).

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/errie-ball-last-inaugural-masters-player-still-standing/

My top 3:
Phil
Like Donald
Matt Kuchar

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

whitegoodman

Quote from: mouview on April 10, 2014, 12:29:12 AM
Quote from: Mikhailov on April 08, 2014, 05:33:17 PM

If you can stand the serial interruptions. Saw the Beeb preview earlier; Aliss just all over the place at this stage, time to be pensioned off now like the Masters champions of old.

The course's difficulty disguises somewhat the fact that the Masters is arguably the easiest Major to pick a winner from, this year in particular. If you take away the higher number than average of rookies (24), and sundry past winners who haven't a squeak (Woosnam, Lyle, Olazabal, Couples etc.), the list of genuine candidates is probably quite small. Have a sneaky feeling for Dufner, or maybe Zach Johnson.

I'd agree with this, a couple of the players said up to 70 players could win it but I think they are just playing to the media. IMO only around 15 can win it and likely to be a big hitter.  I'd go for one of the following all at short odds for a reason.

Rory (talking a good game this wk)
Phil
Scott
Bubba
D Johnston
Day
Small EW on Fowler and Z Johnston

I don't think Westwood or Sergio have near a good enough putting stroke or the balls for it and Donald is too short of a hitter.  Kuchar is consistently there but again no killer instinct.

......Actually forget all that and put all your money on big Darren!!!!

DennistheMenace

Zach Johnson won it and he's one of the smallest hitters on tour. The winning total that year was very high at +1, having distance does give you a massive advantage and being able to shape the ball. Fancy Dustin myself.