Derry City - Are the muckers out of control?

Started by Minder, August 22, 2008, 10:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

It strikes me and frankly worries me that the muckers seem to be getting out of control, listening to the news lately we have them stealing manhole covers, using baseball bats in a non sporting fashion, a paramedic has blood spat in his face while treating someone in need, a woman found guilty of £70000 benefit fraud........Are these instances reflective of life in the maiden city?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

There definitely seems to be disproportionate levels of random violence in derry. No doubt someone with time on their hands will dig out some figures to prove me wrong but it seems that way in the media. I don't what it is (drink and drugs probably) but it seems like every weekend someone gets their jaw broken by some lowlife as the make their way home from the pub.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 22, 2008, 11:04:51 PM
There definitely seems to be disproportionate levels of random violence in derry. No doubt someone with time on their hands will dig out some figures to prove me wrong but it seems that way in the media. I don't what it is (drink and drugs probably) but it seems like every weekend someone gets their jaw broken by some lowlife as the make their way home from the pub.

In fairness I think that goes for just about every town in Ireland at the weekend. I am no great fan of Derry but the fact is there are scumbags everywhere and more and more young people are  obsessed with violence nowadays (in my opinion).

Yes I Would

Your spot on Doogie!! Arseholes everywhere looking for a bit of trouble. Its the level of violence and these f**king knives that worry me.

Derrys no different, but most of the folk up there are sound, and there can be a fair bit of totty floatin about on a Saturday night.

Doogie Browser

Its all too easy to do a bit of Derry bashing, the other thread on the stag night should show people that there is a vibrant and safe atmosphere in Derry - which as I said like other places - keep your nose clean and you will have a grand night out.

I am very concerned about the amount of aggression younger people seem to have these days, pisses me off the attitude of some people on a night out.  Think we will unfortunately see more and more fatalities on our streets at weekends now as a result of fights etc, sorry for the bleak outlook but that seems to be the way its going.  Idiots who need to fight / use aggressive behaviour are absolute scum in my eyes.  Peace love and pints has always been my mantra!

Solomon Kane

Quote from: Minder on August 22, 2008, 10:56:45 PM
It strikes me and frankly worries me that the muckers seem to be getting out of control, listening to the news lately we have them stealing manhole covers, using baseball bats in a non sporting fashion, a paramedic has blood spat in his face while treating someone in need, a woman found guilty of £70000 benefit fraud........Are these instances reflective of life in the maiden city?

Every sporting goods shop I have been in sells them and I've yet to see anyone play baseball. :(

bailestil

Poor Derry is getting it tough on the PR front.
On a night it it is definately no worse than any town or city.

The only bother will happen away from the city centre.
So round the town is as safe as anywhere.

It general it would be pretty rough in some places, but what can you expect with unemployment so high for so long, but again no worse than west belast/dublin limerick etc, only difference being that NI Gov has no intention of trying to solve the mess in the west.

Solomon Kane

Quote from: bailestil on August 23, 2008, 11:37:38 AM
Poor Derry is getting it tough on the PR front.
On a night it it is definately no worse than any town or city.

The only bother will happen away from the city centre.
So round the town is as safe as anywhere.

It general it would be pretty rough in some places, but what can you expect with unemployment so high for so long, but again no worse than west belast/dublin limerick etc, only difference being that NI Gov has no intention of trying to solve the mess in the west.

Derry can hardly complain about government investment compared to some other areas of Northern Ireland. As well as the government putting in a lot of effort John Hume was well known for calling in favours for the area from friends in Europe and the USA. There have been a lot of call centre jobs etc over the last number of years. As far as it being a scary place at the weekend at night, it is worse than most places I have seen, and certainly a lot worse than Belfast or Dublin IMO. I have spent enough time in the place to tell.

bailestil

Any investment in Derry was hard fought for by Hume.
Unfortunately he isn't around anymore and we're stuck with Durkan and Anderson. Dumb and dumber.
I would say Durkan has done almost nothing is his tenure as MP for Foyle. You would be lucky to see his face in a paper from one month to the next.

As for Call Centre work, sure the shirt factories may as well be still here as them.

Why would any company setup in Derry. One drive up the winding A6 and they'd think they are heading into the abyss.

Hurler on the Bitch

I do recall that ear-biting during street fights was (is) a sport in Derry at the weekend.. i.e. 'A man had part of an ear bitten off during an assault in Derry...'

bailestil

Ah sure its hardly a fight unless you've succesfully removed a chunk of the other guys ear ;)

Solomon Kane

Quote from: bailestil on August 23, 2008, 02:35:06 PM
Any investment in Derry was hard fought for by Hume.
Unfortunately he isn't around anymore and we're stuck with Durkan and Anderson. Dumb and dumber.
I would say Durkan has done almost nothing is his tenure as MP for Foyle. You would be lucky to see his face in a paper from one month to the next.

As for Call Centre work, sure the shirt factories may as well be still here as them.
Why would any company setup in Derry. One drive up the winding A6 and they'd think they are heading into the abyss.

Not well paid jobs I grant you, but under competition from India especially Derry has done ok to get them at all, as well as holding on to Seagate. Manufacturing is almost dead and buried anyway as it is throughout the rest of Northern Ireland and beyond. We can't compete with the wage bills in the East. I would imagine all NI MPs are in the local papers less often because the playing field has changed - there is less of a case for them to be engaging with Westminster as we are supposed to be sorting our own problems out now :-[ .

Minder

Minder

Gritters withdrawn after attacks 

The evening gritting service has been withdrawn from Ballymagroarty
The Roads Service has withdrawn its evening gritting service from a Londonderry estate after stones were thrown at its lorries.

Gritters will now be sent out in Ballymagroarty in the early morning.

Garry Matthewson, the headmaster of Holy Family Primary School in Ballymagroarty, said he was shocked.

"The gritting process is vital - the weather in this last period has been very, very cold, very icy and dangerous," he said.

"During periods like this, as a school, we would warn children of the dangers of vehicles not being able to stop quickly.

"And if we have a reduced gritting service, then we would be very concerned as that creates a serious danger for children and all road users."

In a statement, the Roads Service said they will meet with community representatives and the police next week to discuss the problem.

mannix

they like violence until they pick on the wrong man.