2008 Ryder Cup

Started by corn02, August 22, 2008, 03:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Good start by Clakre, picked up two birdies in first seven holes. Realistically all he has to do is firstly, and most importantly, make the cut. Secondly, he needs a top half finish of those who made the cut. He has basically achived the first one and should achieve the second. It would be a major surprise now if Clarke was overlooked. A testamanet to hitting form at the right time.

Hound

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on August 28, 2008, 12:17:40 PM
Monty has said publicly that he would be happy to take the Vice Captains role if he's not picked - ideal excuse for Faldo not to pick him
Are you sure?

I read a report on Wednesday saying exactly the opposite, that there's no way he'd accept the vice captain's role.

The fact that Faldo is remaining in the US until Sunday reads as bad news IMO for anyone playing in Scotland. I'll be disgusted if he doesn't pick Clarke, but I think he's already chosen Casey and Poulter.

corn02

TORGAEL

Faldo has chosen Casey and Poulter as his two wildcards.

highorlow

QuoteFaldo has chosen Casey and Poulter as his two wildcards

I hope the yanks win it now. Disgraceful decision which was made weeks ago by an arrogant fool !
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Lecale2

Quote from: highorlow on August 31, 2008, 07:46:21 PM

I hope the yanks win it now. Disgraceful decision which was made weeks ago by an arrogant fool !

Why? Clarke isn't up to it if that's your complaint. Casey is a good call and Poulter will prove you wrong.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Hound on August 29, 2008, 11:40:50 AM
Monty has said publicly that he would be happy to take the Vice Captains role if he's not picked - ideal excuse for Faldo not to pick him
Are you sure?

I read a report on Wednesday saying exactly the opposite, that there's no way he'd accept the vice captain's role.

The fact that Faldo is remaining in the US until Sunday reads as bad news IMO for anyone playing in Scotland. I'll be disgusted if he doesn't pick Clarke, but I think he's already chosen Casey and Poulter.

Good call Hound, it's probably the right decision, though Clarke is useful in the foursomes (until he has to putt of course) - overall his form has just been too poor, he didn't qualify for the open when the chips were down and Poulter made a decent run at that championship.  Casey was always going to get the other pick, personally I'd have like to see Kaymer there, but, again, he didn't make it on merit.
It'll be interesting, but I reckon the yanks are going to take this one in a classic role reversal.

gorm agus bui

Quote from: Hound on August 29, 2008, 11:40:50 AM
Are you sure?

good call,Hound

Puckoon

QuoteFaldo has chosen Casey and Poulter as his two wildcards

Why would you hope that, sure we have fair representation in the team.

magickingdom

Quote from: Lecale2 on August 31, 2008, 07:48:50 PM

Why? Clarke isn't up to it if that's your complaint. Casey is a good call and Poulter will prove you wrong.

clarke would have been a better pick than poulter any day. bet harrington and westwood arent too happy about it either. also if poulter gave a shit he would have gone to gleneagles this week. if he had and qualifed in his own right faldo wouldnt have had to waste a pick on him..

The bard of dunclug

It doesnt matter what Harrington and co think they are not the captain clarke isnt in the team because he wasnt good enough if he had entered more events and won them he would have been there by right he didnt end of story.

magickingdom

Quote from: The bard of dunclug on August 31, 2008, 10:18:03 PM
It doesnt matter what Harrington and co think they are not the captain clarke isnt in the team because he wasnt good enough if he had entered more events and won them he would have been there by right he didnt end of story.

its just my opinion, did poulter qualify? did casey qualify?

The bard of dunclug

No they didnt but in golf rankings both of them finished higher than clarke.If anybody should be annoyed its Petterson great golfer.

magickingdom

Quote from: The bard of dunclug on August 31, 2008, 10:29:27 PM
No they didnt but in golf rankings both of them finished higher than clarke.If anybody should be annoyed its Petterson great golfer.

you get the idea of the captains picks dont you?  if they wanted the top 12 in the rankings there wouldnt be any need for picks..