Shell to Sea

Started by blast05, August 21, 2008, 11:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Hound on June 10, 2009, 02:45:39 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 10, 2009, 02:27:03 PM

Quote from: RMDrive on June 10, 2009, 12:15:37 PM
www.shellguilty.com/

LOL. Looks like a pretty impartial source to me. :)
I fail to see the humour.
That news has been reported in all major news outlets. Nothing less than a stunning victory for the Ogoni people and those who supported their cause
Let me know your opinion after you have had a read.
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/natural_resources/article6459634.ece
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/cif-green/2009/jun/09/saro-wiwa-shell
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jun/08/nigeria-usa
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jun/09/ken-saro-wiwa-jr-reaction
Well I think the funny bit was that despite this story being reported in probably every good newspaper in the world, you chose to quote a source that nobody could possibly take seriously rather than the myriad of impartial sources you could have chosen.
More ironic than humourous.
The report was judged fit for purpose for the veracity, accuracy and conciseness of content and at the same time encapsulating the significance of the news,  actually superior to the other mainstream reports :)

I assumed that anyone entering this thread would have heard about this news item in the last days, unless they had gone deaf and blind.
And my only thought was to enter the info into the thread.
If you had not heard of the Shell Ogona  outcome before you opened this thread and had a doubt about the veracity of the report I linked then I would seriously doubt the level of your general knowledge

ludermor

So you agree that www.shellguilty.com is an impartial source?

muppet

The last few post epitomises part of the problem with Shell in Mayo.

Undeniable facts are less important than who said them.
MWWSI 2017

Main Street

Quote from: ludermor on June 10, 2009, 04:17:29 PM
So you agree that www.shellguilty.com is an impartial source?
WTF are you on about?

Shell, to the whole world, being forced to admit their guilt, makes shellguilty.com an interesting credible source you might think. A sort of a judicial process vote of ultimate confidence on the website's raison d'etre.

Do you have any comment to make on the article information?  anything at all?
Is there one line in what I quoted here or referenced to, that you would like to bring to task and question?
Please feel free to do so.

ludermor

I just asked a question and you answered it.

Declan

Whats the story with the sinking of the trawler though lads?

Main Street

According to the IT  the Shell statement reads
"Shell E&P Ireland said in a statement issued to RTÉ that it "emphatically rejected" any allegation that "people employed on the Corrib gas project were involved in any way in the incident which led to the sinking of the Iona Isle ".

So, they don't deny that someone from Shell, not directly connected to the Corrib project, could have hired the mob who done the deed.

Would this be a crime in the catagory of attempted murder?

Gnevin

Shell denies trawler sinking plot

4 hours ago

Energy giant Shell has strongly denied any involvement in the alleged sinking of a trawler carrying protesters opposed to its controversial new gas terminal in Co Mayo.

Two men were rescued from the stricken boat Iona Isle in the early hours of Thursday morning, with one claiming a masked and armed gang boarded and sank the vessel.

Pat O'Donnell, a prominent critic of Shell's planned refinery at Glengad, said they were held for almost two hours before being forced to flee the vessel.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5iDmEUuPjFkMhe1nxOndFmU6A6FMg
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

muppet

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0627/1224249653722.html

WORK BY the Solitaire ship on laying the offshore pipeline began yesterday in Broadhaven Bay as there were more calls for political leadership and legal clarification on the issues involved.

The Department of Transport confirmed last night that no order had been issued for a 500-metre exclusion zone around the Solitaire. It has issued only one marine notice on work in the bay, which makes no reference to an exclusion zone. Gardaí have said they are policing an exclusion zone "passed by the department".

Earlier, the Erris Inshore Fishermen's Association (EIFA), which has a legal agreement with Shell to facilitate the work, said it was "gravely concerned" at the Government's refusal to clarify the legal situation.

"It is not good enough for a legislative authority to refuse to take responsibility for this project once again, as it has done from day one," EIFA chairman Eddie Diver told The Irish Times.

He was commenting on Thursday's arrest of fishermen Pat and Jonathan O'Donnell, who had been out on the water watching their fishing gear hours before the arrival of the Solitaire. Both fishermen's boats have been detained indefinitely by gardaí under the Maritime Safety Act.

In fairness to the Irish Times they try to report the facts. The facts may leave more questions than answers but reflects the reality accurately.
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

Now they have to re-route the pipe for around 5 miles. Delighted so I am. The only problem is what part of unspoiled scenery will be effected (sp) next?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Bod Mor

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 03, 2009, 10:25:04 PM
Now they have to re-route the pipe for around 5 miles. Delighted so I am. The only problem is what part of unspoiled scenery will be effected (sp) next?

Can you post a link? I can't find anything about this. Good man
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

Farrandeelin

This is from MWR, it's actually 5 kms not 5 miles but it's still great!

"AN BORD PLEANALA HAS DEFERRED A DECISION ON GRANTING SHELL PLANNING PERMISSION FOR ITS CONTROVERSIAL ONSHORE MODIFIED GAS PIPELINE ROUTE IN NORTH MAYO.
IT HAS ASKED SHELL TO ADDRESS A NUMBER ISSUES RELATING TO THE SAFETY OF THE 9KM PIPELINE ROUTE THAT WILL TAKE GAS FROM THE SHORELINE AT GLENGAD TO THE COMPANY'S GAS REFINERY IN BELLANABOY.
SHELL MUST MAKE SIGNIFICANT MODIFICATIONS TO ITS ONSHORE PIPELINE ROUTE AND COME BACK TO THE BOARD BY FEBRUARY.
UNDER THE STRATEGIC INFRASTRUCTURE LEGISLATION THE BOARD HAS IN PRINCIPLE APPROVED THE APPLICATION SUBJECT TO SIGNIFICANT MODIFICATIONS.
AN BORD PLEANALA HIGHLIGHTS PROBLEMS WITH ABOUT 5 KM OF THE ROUTE THROUGH ROSSPORT.
SAYING HOUSES ALONG THE ROUTE ARE WITHIN THE HAZARD RANGE OF THE PIPELINE SHOULD A FAILURE OR FAULT OCCUR.
THE BORD ALSO WANTS A HIGHER RISK THRESHHOLD IMPOSED ON THE PIPELINE ROUTE – SHELL WILL BE REQUIRED TO MEET UK STANDARDS.
IN ADDITION, ITS TELLING THE COMPANY.TO GO BACK TO AN EARLIER ROUTE OPTION THAT WAS REJECTED AND ESSENTIALLY SENDS THE PIPELINE UP THE BAY.
IN A STATEMENT SHELL SAYS  IT REMAINS "FIRMLY OF THE VIEW THAT THE PIPELINE AS DESIGNED IS SAFE AND MEETS ALL INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS AND INDUSTRY BEST PRACATICE".
IT CONCLUDES THAT IT WILL NOW GIVE DETAILED CONSIDERATION TO THE BOARD'S SPECIFIC REQUESTS.
INITIAL REACTION FROM LOCAL RESIDENTS IS THAT AN BORD PLEANALA HAS TAKEN ON BOARD LOCAL CONCERNS EXPRESSED TO IT DURING AN ORAL HEARING ON THE MATTER LAST SUMMER"
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedandGreenSniper

Maura Harrington was on Mid West Radio this morning with Tommy Marren (she's the leading Shell to Sea campaigner for those who don't know). She calls this victory as only a minor victory, that the new route will cause its own problems (close to a lake which supplies water for all of Erris) and the only outcome they'll be happy with is Shell moving their refinary to sea.

What has happened with An Bord Pleanála is a huge turnaround though.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

magpie seanie

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 04, 2009, 10:06:54 AM
Maura Harrington was on Mid West Radio this morning with Tommy Marren (she's the leading Shell to Sea campaigner for those who don't know). She calls this victory as only a minor victory, that the new route will cause its own problems (close to a lake which supplies water for all of Erris) and the only outcome they'll be happy with is Shell moving their refinary to sea.

What has happened with An Bord Pleanála is a huge turnaround though.

It is good news and can be seen as a vindication of the struggle of people like Harrington and Willie Corduff. However, Shell's big wallet would worry me as I'm not altogether convinced of the integrity of our planning system.

Why don't Shell just move the refinery to sea? Practically everyone is happy then (barring the taxpayer who sold the rights for a song - thank you politicians!).