sky engineer

Started by flog the lot, August 21, 2008, 09:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flog the lot

Am getting an error message 'no signal being received' on our sky TV
Have gone through the troubleshooting with sky but they say need an engineer out, don't want to pay fortune for this so wondering if any way of sorting this out myself?
Or if you know someone in newry/south.armagh area who could get it sorted?

bingobus

Same happened to me in the last few weeks. The Sky Box had gone, ended up having to get a new box wnet for the Sky+ one. Cost a few pound despite the offer currently on for new customers. Have rang them and they are to get back to me about a few free months. Box was only about 2 years old, my old fella has had the same box for 8 years.

Off The Fence

That happend me a few times and I just rang them, they put me through this rigmarole on the system and if it didnt work they would ask if you wanted someone out.  Should probably get it done right if your going to get it done.  

Hardy

Just for the record - none of these "engineers" are engineers.

Hound

You should also note that signal can be lost just before or during thunderstorms. But it should come back shortly afterwards.

Sometimes when you lose signal it might need a simple reset. Turn it off. Then plug it out. Then leave it for 10 minutes. Plug it back in, but then leave it again for 5 minutes. Then turn it on.

If that doesnt work, then you need the "engineer" !

rootthemout

have you checked the aerial lead going into back of sky box,had this problem with my own.unscrewed the aerial in and trimmed back the plastic sleeve a bit to let more wire exposed as i reckoned it wasnt making a connection,tighted it up again and this solved my problem

flog the lot

yea checked all the leads at the back were plugged in and tried to follw the cable tomake sure it wasn't damaged, i think it has to be the dish or the box.
am out well out of the 12 month contract and had cancelled, so was only using the system for freeview channels, so wasn't sure if sky would still send out an engineer. might give them a call and ask them would sort of deal they could do for me if i reconnect with them.

mylestheslasher

Go up on a ladder and have a look at the dish. Check around the hinges and see is there differences in colour (ie parts that were hidden from the weather are now exposed). If you see anything like that then your dish has moved, this is the most common cause of loss of signal. See can you push the dish back into the original position and try your reception again.

The lnb on the end of the dish could also be faulty, you could try and borrow a friends and stick it on and see does it work. You can pick up LNBs for €20 or so on the net.

The sky box could also be fried so again try a friends.

Or to save the hassle get the engineer out - remember they will insist on you being in the house when they come and in my experience theire time keeping is dire.