Shock, Horror, IFA in discrimination controversy!

Started by T Fearon, August 20, 2008, 09:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Quote from: An Fear Rua on August 21, 2008, 06:51:58 PM
"Progressive Unionist Party leader, Dawn Purvis, slammed the police who flagged down the supporters for causing offence.

She added: "I am calling on Strathclyde police to clarify the legality of the Northern Ireland flag as it has come to our attention that some officers believe the flag to be illegal and sectarian and have asked travelling supporters to remove it."

I hope they do this, as Dawn needs to learn that( afaik) the flag has no legal standing and is a remnant/bastardised version of a flag that was put out of service in the early 70s and a UDA flag, at least she is correct in thats its not illegal...just minging

That's actually complete horseshit.

Got any more jackanory? I do like a nice bedtime story ::)

MW

Quote from: Main Street on August 21, 2008, 08:20:58 PM
There is some shock at the treatment given to GSTQ from fellow ukayers.

According to the small thread, one says that the GAWA were too busy belting out GSTQ

As I've noted before on here, it's funny how GSTQ is described so often as being "belted out", not "sung". Agenda, much>

with most of them working themselves up to shout out the loud rendition of no surrender to notice the boos from the Scots.
That and other stuff as well.

No doubt  "most" of the support will be reduced in time to a "handfull" in number who all happened to congregate around the Sky microphones (accounting for the audio evidence on tv).

Ah right, so basically what you did was travelled to Hampden, froze time and went round counting how many were shouting, divided this by the total away support, multiplied by 100 and found that it came to over 50%, eh?

I wasn't there but given its a minority of around a few hundred at home games, I would think it was around the same proportion this time.

If you wanted to make a guess based on "audio evidence", you'd also think that Northern Ireland fans were in the majority at Hampden last night.

Donagh

Quote from: Main Street on August 21, 2008, 05:40:48 PM
Glasgow police thought this Ulster flag was an outlawed emblem at yesterdays game between Scotland and NI-
they thought it was an illegal symbol of hate-  they thought it was an outlawed sectarian emblem.
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/NI-fans-are-flagged-down.4412077.jp

;D

Is that not Andy Tyrie's UDA flag? If it's not outlawed, it should be.

MW

Quote from: Donagh on August 21, 2008, 11:17:28 PM
Quote from: Main Street on August 21, 2008, 05:40:48 PM
Glasgow police thought this Ulster flag was an outlawed emblem at yesterdays game between Scotland and NI-
they thought it was an illegal symbol of hate-  they thought it was an outlawed sectarian emblem.
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/NI-fans-are-flagged-down.4412077.jp

;D

Is that not Andy Tyrie's UDA flag? If it's not outlawed, it should be.

Hard to know where to start with this one ::)

1 - that's not even the flag in question. Main Street in his genius has posted the wrong flag.
2 - No, it's not "Andy Tyrie's UDA flag". It's quite clearly an Ulster Banner/former Government of Northern Ireland Flag with a Union Flag in the canton.
3 - Why on earth should be be outlawed?

(As it happens, I dislike the flag since I don't see the need for, or point of, putting the Union Flag in it.)

MW

PS don't bother citing CAIN if that's where you're getting the idea from, it's wrong and the flag they show is non-existent anyway.

Donagh

Quote from: MW on August 21, 2008, 11:26:24 PM
PS don't bother citing CAIN if that's where you're getting the idea from, it's wrong and the flag they show is non-existent anyway.

Well there's one flying round the corner from me. Should I go down and tell the Apprentice Boys in the band hall it's non-existent?

Donagh

PS, if you follow the link I think you'll find it's the flag the OrangeLetter posted.

MW

Quote from: Donagh on August 21, 2008, 11:31:48 PM

Well there's one flying round the corner from me. Should I go down and tell the Apprentice Boys in the band hall it's non-existent?

I seriously doubt that there is. I've never in my life seen a flag looking like that photo but without a crown.

Donagh

Quote from: MW on August 21, 2008, 11:34:47 PM

I seriously doubt that there is. I've never in my life seen a flag looking like that photo but without a crown.

You want me to go out and take a photo for you?

MW

Quote from: Donagh on August 21, 2008, 11:32:50 PM
PS, if you follow the link I think you'll find it's the flag the OrangeLetter posted.

Another quality piece of journalism from the News Letter.

MW

Quote from: Donagh on August 21, 2008, 11:36:19 PM

Not really. You're sure it isn't the flag in the photo on this thread?

Donagh

Quote from: MW on August 21, 2008, 11:39:21 PM
Quote from: Donagh on August 21, 2008, 11:36:19 PM

Not really. You're sure it isn't the flag in the photo on this thread?

Pretty sure, but I'll check again in the morning on my way to work.

Main Street

Quote from: MW on August 21, 2008, 11:06:06 PM
Ah right, so basically what you did was travelled to Hampden, froze time and went round counting how many were shouting, divided this by the total away support, multiplied by 100 and found that it came to over 50%, eh?

I wasn't there but given its a minority of around a few hundred at home games, I would think it was around the same proportion this time.

If you wanted to make a guess based on "audio evidence", you'd also think that Northern Ireland fans were in the majority at Hampden last night.
The countback begins before the last cry of no surrender can be heard in Glasgow  ;D

I am only reporting what fans are writing. I clearly referenced the info.
If you have an issue with the info, take it up on the relevant owc thread.
I couldn't give a shíte.

Solomon Kane

Quote from: full back on August 20, 2008, 01:32:12 PM
Dont understand why the cavalry havent arrived yet....
Cant defend the indefensible I suppose

Probably all in Jockland at the time of the post ;)

slow corner back

Of note in this whole episode is Basil McCrea the ulster unionist MLA calling for a new anthem for northern ireland. Basically along the lines that if the scots and the welsh do not need GSTQ to be british why does the IFA?