Tin whistle

Started by youngfella, August 19, 2008, 12:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngfella

I would like to learn to play this but im terrible with all things musical. Is it diffiacult to learn? How long would it take to get ot a decent standard?
Pull hard and early

downgirl

No it's easy to pick up definitely go for it!!  Are you going to go to classes for it?  You might be able to pick it up yourself if you get a teach-yourself book.  I started on tin whistle and now play Irish flute, low whistle and uilleann pipes!

As for getting to a good standard, the breathing isn't too hard and once you get the hang of how much breath is needed for each octave you are laughing, shouldn't take you too long to get the scale and sure once you know how to play the notes you can play tunes easily enough!!  ;D

ziggysego

Was taught it years ago. Give it up after two years, as the teacher kept teaching the same song over and over again. Would love to relearn it sometime.
Testing Accessibility

downgirl

I'll teach ya ziggy  :P

Seriously though, you should be able to pick it up yourself again easily enough, if you want specific tunes try  www.thesession.org 

Square Ball

used to play it, i remember being taught Sam Hall by my p7 teacher many years ago
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

full back

youngfella reminds me a bit of armagh4sam

nrico2006

I am useless at playing anything musical but could play the old tin whistle back in the day - the teachers favourite was a cracker of a tune called Cal.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

screenexile

Learned to play it years ago and loved it. Went to classes at our local branch of the Comholtas which were very good and reasonably priced.

I've never forgotten how to play it but I am quite rusty whenever I am called upon to play on rare occasions (a random drunken singalong of a weekend usually). Gave up really because my teacher died and then football had started to take over. I would love to take it up again and push on to learn the flute as well but just don't seem to have the time anymore.

People reckon it's really easy to learn and I suppose it is in a sense to pick up the basics and that but to play it really well requires a lot of practice and a lot of listening to other whistler's playing so that you can borrow little things from everyone and then use them to make your own style of playing. Good luck!

full back

Anyone who ever played the tin whistle or the recorder will remember this:

Frère Jacques,
Frère Jacques,
Dormez vous?
Dormez vous?
Sonnez les matines,
Sonnez les matines,
Din, din, don!
Din, din, don!

downgirl

screenexile, if you can play tin whistle you could pick up irish flute no bother; the notes are the same fingering so all you have to really learn is the breathing.  I have a resin irish flute here actually if you want to buy it off me??  Had it as my first one before I got a proper one made to make sure I liked it and could play it!!

The Gs Man

This wee fella here could taech ye a thing or two firbye.......

Keep 'er lit

Lecale2

Quote from: Square Ball on August 19, 2008, 12:41:47 PM
used to play it, i remember being taught Sam Hall by my p7 teacher many years ago

That was many years ago!  I always found it pretty easy. Just blow in one end and move your fingers about.

full back

Quote from: Lecale2 on August 19, 2008, 01:45:35 PM
That was many years ago!  I always found it pretty easy. Just blow in one end and move your fingers about.

Whoops....
Wouldnt be the first time you did that, eh lecale ;)

downgirl

youngfella, if you are serious about learning it I would recommend getting a proper tin whistle rather than a wee cheap one, sounds a lot better.  Mine is a Tony Dixon one, Gs Man might be able to give you a few more good ones.

ziggysego

That's me sold, gonna get myself a tin whistle at the weekend :)
Testing Accessibility