RTE archive

Started by An Fear Rua, August 18, 2008, 11:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fear Rua

Hiya,
does anyone know if the archives on RTE are encrypted/streamed or are they simply downloaded to the temp files directory?

Im trying to get a hold of the match from Sat, but am being blocked by the firewall. In some cases these players download the media to the temp folder, which can be copied etc.

Has anyone tried/achieved this?

Thanks
AFR
Its Grim up North

An Fear Rua

if anyone has the time, can they see if the following link opens and saves the content to the temp directory

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/243-2410874-512-288.smil

Its the stand alone player for the tyrone dub match.

(Must be a backdoor somewhere)
Its Grim up North

mylestheslasher

I can tell you this. I open it in real player and in the folder....

c:\documents and settings\mylestheslasher\application data\real\realplayer\temp

there is a file called "rn_tmpsb.ivr". As the video streams it this file is getting larger so I presume this is what you are looking for. I imagine that after playing the video this file will be deleted but there might be a setting in real player preferences that will allow you to prevent the file being deleted. If you can do that then you would have to see if that .ivr file can be played on realplayer or not.

An Fear Rua

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 18, 2008, 12:04:20 PM

there is a file called "rn_tmpsb.ivr". As the video streams it this file is getting larger so I presume this is what you are looking for. I imagine that after playing the video this file will be deleted but there might be a setting in real player preferences that will allow you to prevent the file being deleted. If you can do that then you would have to see if that .ivr file can be played on realplayer or not.

Thats what I would expect would happen. I cant test it myself as im in England and the content is blocked. IVR files are a realplayer format. I would expect that the IVR file could be copied from that directory and saved locally to be replayed at any stage, outside the confines of the RTE player etc. It could prob be converted to a DVD usuable format as well.

Does the date/time stamp on the file match the time you tried it? What size is it growing to?
Its Grim up North

mylestheslasher

Quote from: An Fear Rua on August 18, 2008, 12:28:16 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 18, 2008, 12:04:20 PM

Thats what I would expect would happen. I cant test it myself as im in England and the content is blocked. IVR files are a realplayer format. I would expect that the IVR file could be copied from that directory and saved locally to be replayed at any stage, outside the confines of the RTE player etc. It could prob be converted to a DVD usuable format as well.

Does the date/time stamp on the file match the time you tried it? What size is it growing to?

The date lines up alright. The file was around 3.5Mb after one minute of playing. However, when I stopped the clip the file dissappeared somewhere.

An Fear Rua

Dont suppose its sent to the recycle bin??
can you find it via  a search?

thanks for your help with this , much appreciated
Its Grim up North

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: An Fear Rua on August 18, 2008, 03:55:05 PM
Dont suppose its sent to the recycle bin??
can you find it via  a search?

thanks for your help with this , much appreciated
It wouldn't have went to the recycle bin, it would have been a temporary file and as such, stayed in RAM so the minute you stopped playing, it was gone.

I haven't been able to access archive stuff on RTE recently, last time I did, I was able to download the file itself via real player

I struggled to find some free software to do the conversion for me though and I am loathe to pay for real's which says it would convert to avi which would do nicely.

Let me know if you have any success  ;)

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

An Fear Rua

I may just be onto something? Does anyone know if Real player will let me record a stream as it plays?
Its Grim up North

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: An Fear Rua on August 18, 2008, 05:45:04 PM
I may just be onto something? Does anyone know if Real player will let me record a stream as it plays?
If you pay for it, you can convert from .ivr to .avi or .mpeg
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

mylestheslasher

The file wasn't sent to the recycle bin. For decent free software or trial software try www.tucows.com. You should find something there. If you know of software you can buy for the job you could download emule (emule-project.net), install, do a search for the software you want and download one that has a "crack" with it. Of course downloading software is illegal and I would not suggest you do such a thing - but you could!

An Fear Rua

free version of Real 11 lets you play the ivr file and record it at the same time, so no laws being broken.....

mind you I dont have a ivr file now...
Its Grim up North

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: An Fear Rua on August 18, 2008, 07:53:56 PM
free version of Real 11 lets you play the ivr file and record it at the same time, so no laws being broken.....

Real 11 lets you play and record to ivr.

Check your library within Real to see if your downloads have been successful.  If so, then go to 'tools' then 'preferences' and then 'download & recording' to see where your ivr file is.

An Fear Rua

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on August 18, 2008, 08:05:20 PM
Quote from: An Fear Rua on August 18, 2008, 07:53:56 PM

Real 11 lets you play and record to ivr.

Check your library within Real to see if your downloads have been successful.  If so, then go to 'tools' then 'preferences' and then 'download & recording' to see where your ivr file is.

what I meant was I had a more useful format
Its Grim up North

ardmhachaabu

Ah i see

Care to tell me how?  ;)

PM me if you want...

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

am surprised there isn't more Reeling in the years on youtube - they're repeating the 1960s on the box at the minute and RTE's website doesn't even mention that decade in its advertised link.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"