Speed/sharpness training

Started by youngfella, August 18, 2008, 10:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngfella

Morning boys, downgirl,

I have a championship match in 3 weeks, I a bit slow of the mark these days im looking to speed my self up a couple of yards and possibly build up some stamina for this game. What can you recommand i do ?

Later in the year i have championship in november, I want to be flying at this stage what can i do for this ?
Pull hard and early

Off The Fence

Quote from: youngfella on August 18, 2008, 10:28:50 AM
Morning boys, downgirl,

I have a championship match in 3 weeks, I a bit slow of the mark these days im looking to speed my self up a couple of yards and possibly build up some stamina for this game. What can you recommand i do ?

Later in the year i have championship in november, I want to be flying at this stage what can i do for this ?

Say a prayer because if not slow off the mark now, it'll be no different in 3 weeks!

youngfella

was thinking that was going to be the case. IS it possible to build up the stamina (a bit) for then? How about my other goal?

Must go an do some work here, I'll check back later hopefully you's can help me out
Pull hard and early

youngfella

aww no one replied. Can anyone help me pretty please
Pull hard and early

Mac hinery

10 - 15 metre sprints with a tyre on a rope tied around your waist

add leg weights after 1 week

after 2nd week borrow at least one vicious quadraped wear the ankle weights and the tyre around the waist.  Get a good mate to hold the vicious quadraped(s) while you tease and slap at them with a stick.  On a pre arranged signal get your mate to let them go.

tyssam5

Quote from: Mac hinery on August 18, 2008, 08:28:59 PM
10 - 15 metre sprints with a tyre on a rope tied around your waist

add leg weights after 1 week

after 2nd week borrow at least one vicious quadraped wear the ankle weights and the tyre around the waist.  Get a good mate to hold the vicious quadraped(s) while you tease and slap at them with a stick.  On a pre arranged signal get your mate to let them go.

I like it. But do you really think Galvin would take the time out to help the lad?

Zulu

Not knowing you're fitness level makes it difficult to properly advise YF but interval training is your best bet at this stage for improving speed endurance. As for speed off the mark, you won't improve your speed over 3 weeks but you should do some reaction work and short 5 -10m sprints from different starting points, i.e. facing forward/backwards, lying down, sitting down etc.

Frank Casey

Quote from: tyssam5 on August 18, 2008, 09:16:13 PM
I like it. But do you really think Galvin would take the time out to help the lad?

Nasty. Are you worried about him coming back for the final (no disrespect to Yellow Belly or Langer fans).
KERRY 3:7

dodgy umpire

for a quick start on a sprint work ur calf muscles by holding a barbell or dumblells, start flat footed and push onto the balls of ur feet and then stand down again, repeat for about 10 reps. doing squats would also help you big time.
The Boys in Red and Black are back

lynchbhoy

tie a rope around your waist and attach a lump of raw steak at the other end.

Let a pack of hungry alsations/rottweilers or doberman dogs loose after you.
You might get a few bites and end up in hospital, but you will have def increased your speed and soiled your trousers !

you are welcome !
:)

Drumanee 1

DrinkingHarp

Find a good size hill. Pick out a 60- 80 yard path with a good grade.

Sprint up at 100% 5 times

85%  at 5 times

70%  at 5 times

50%  at 5 times

30%  at 5 times

Walk  at 5 times

Do this three times a week.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

mylestheslasher

I would recommend you do the following program.

Few slow lasps and a nice stretch to start. Now the exercises....

Hop on one leg - start with 8 hops on each leg, 5s break in between. Do each leg four times.
take 30s break
Frog Jumps- From a crouched position, jump forward by springing yourself upwards. Distance not important, just do the best you can. 8 jumps, do 4 times (5s break between each go)
take 30s break
Arse kicks. Flick your heels, held together, up to hit you arse. Do this very quick so that your feet hit the ground only for the shortest amount of time. Again do 8 flicks 4 times (5s break between each go)
take 30s break
Knee up. Same as arse kicks except jump with your two knees together. keep the back straight and raise the knees up to waste high. Works the stomach more than the legs but worth doing. Again do 8 flicks 4 times (5s break between each go)
take 30s break
Strides. Do some long stride runs. By stride you must try and stretch your legs in the run as long as possible and bounce of your foot each time it lands. Do 8 strides and repeat 4 times. (5s break between each go)
take 30s break
Arse kick hops! Same as the hop above but this time you must flick your heal up to hit your arse while hopping. So if hopping on the right leg, when you are in the air you must flick your right foot up to your arse and then back onto the ground for the next hop. do 8 at a time, Do each leg four times.
Take 30s break
Pogo Jumps. Straight back, feet together. Jump straight into the air jumping off your toes and powering up using only your lower legs. Do 8 jumps 4 times (5s break in between)

These exercises might make you look like a eejit but they will work and I guaruntee your legs will be very soar after the 1st run of them. Increase to 10 from 8 in week 2 and up to 12 for week 3.

Do a very good stretch after this and then some short 10 meter sprints, running from dead and running straight through the finish line. I'd do 5 sprints, 30s break, and do that 10 times.

Thats the best you can do in 3 weeks.

southdown

In a similar situation, let me know how you get on YF

youngfella

will do mate, thanks slasher and harp. I'lll give both of them ago. Harp a no a hill thats local but has no paths would running on grass be ok?
Pull hard and early