All Ireland Senior Hurling Final - Port Láirge vs Cill Chainnigh - 7/09/2008

Started by dodo, August 17, 2008, 07:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Fair play like, they really were something else yesterday. They completley outplayed Waterford on every area of the pitch. Like Waterford were awful but KK were another machine completley. Fair dues like, what a game they had, what a team they are.

INDIANA

all this talk of 6 in a row is shite - it won't happen !

quite willing to bet that it will. who's going to beat them?

tj reid, richie hogan etc etc etc. cha is 23, 23 fuckin years of age, its absolutely bloody frightening.

Colonel Cool

I was at the game and I watched the video last night. It gets better each time I see it. 5-6 in row is a tall order but I wouldn't bet against it.
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

under the bar

Quoteall this talk of 6 in a row is shite - it won't happen !

Depends on the will & motivation.   I'm sure Kilkenny could make the semis every year just training 3 months of the year.  Depends a lot on how motivated Cork & Tipp are to stop them. Sorry if this appears dismissive of other counties chances.

EddieMerx

Who can challenge them over the next two years?? Tipp are overhyped, Cork need another two years at least to rebuild, Galway...... well they are Galway.

Minder

Strange to think before the 2006 final Kilkenny were underdogs, the only thing that can stop them winning at least 5 in a row is themselves. If they play to 80% of their potential nobody can beat them. They are at least 7 points better than the rest most of the time and when they want to they can run up any score they please. For a team to beat them they would need to score 2 or 3 goals, can you see that defence coughing up and the opposition stopping Kilkenny scoring 2-20. I wonder what their average score has been throughout the 3 in a row.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

EddieMerx

The evolution of this brand of hurling has taken 3 years, strange but I think Kilkenny are only going to get better. In 2006 they introduced the intensity (they suffocated Cork in the final) 2007 this intensity was combined with the more traditional Kilkenny skill and in 2008, well words can't describe just how good they are.

orangeman

I know they're a great team - but teams have historically been caught out. What will happen Kilkenny if they lose Henry and maybe a couple of others and the other team have a great day - Kilkenny can get beat - nothing is impossible.

So I really can't see 5 or 6 in a row to be honest.

AZOffaly

Maybe if Brian Cody decides he's had enough, there'll be a bit of a lull. Grasping at straws a bit, but I think Cody is the glue for Kilkenny at the moment.

orangeman

I think Cody is the key alright - he seems to have his players up for every match they play.

Minder

I think a big factor is the strength of their bench, if a player drops their performance even slightly they are off, it must be a huge motivating factor for the starting 15.

orangeman

Reillers

Quote from: EddieMerx on September 09, 2008, 11:02:53 AM
Who can challenge them over the next two years?? Tipp are overhyped, Cork need another two years at least to rebuild, Galway...... well they are Galway.
I do think this 6 in a row is bull and typical Kk fans getting ahead of themselves, I didn't say anything with them celebrating the win on Sunday but this 5 and 6 in a row is bull. I'm not even sure they'll win next season. I think as good and I mean as good as they were against Waterford I honestly think that that'll be a one off, or else they've been given way too much time to just perfect their game, not worrying about who's next or whatever.
I think Cork might be a season off winning the AI, we've a good few youngsters all right who didn't get much of a run in this season. They hopefully will next season but it might just be a bit too early, depending on how the league goes.

Minder

So who will win it next year then Reillers if your not sure Kilkenny will?

imtommygunn

You have a real bee in your bonnet about Kilkenny Reillers.

Sunday's game they were superb. They have brilliant individuals and the work rate they show in denying opponents time and space on the ball is amazing however I think that other teams can, and have to, step up to the plate with the work rate and replicate it.

Others thought it wasn't possible of the Tyrone team of 2003 but it was shown to be.

Realistically the only team with the hurlers close enough  to even threaten Kilkenny is Cork in my opinion. Galway could have, if they get the finger out, hurlers to threaten them. Tipperary may do in time though - O'Mahoney and McGrath are superb hurlers and then there's obviously Eoin Kelly so if they could build round them.

A lot of stepping up required by a lot of people though. TJ Reid would get on any other team in the game and be a star and there's probably a few others like it so not like there's a 15 there who will fall by the wayside in one go. Kilkenny won't lower in standard with this depth - it's just up to others to step up.