Who will the new Dublin Manager be so?

Started by Uladh, August 16, 2008, 05:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aontroim

Joe Kernan sidestepped the issue nicely on the GAA Show on Today FM this morning when PC asked him about it. Said there were plenty of good candidates in Dublin for the job.

INDIANA

being bluntly honest corn rather than sarcastic.

paddypastit

Be careful with what ye wish for re Kernan. I think time will prove that he is a limited manager.  Good motivator that topped off a team that was in the making for years and had a momentum built up.  Never able to move it on and once the 'Plan A' was sussed, he was outsmarted on the sideline by quite a few peers. Bit like Micko - got lucky with timing in the team that he came to manage and was clever enough to build a reputataion around the acheivements of the players he got that gave his god like status that persuaded Co Bd officals to invest big money to back teams across the line.

Think Dublin need to get away from anyone that was in anyway associated with this and the last management teams. Disagree with the comment about Galvin - shrewd low profile operator.
Agree Mullins doesn't have it. Don't know much about McEntee but recent results don't augur well.  Think Dublin, and any such candidiate, would be mad to go outside the county - will raiuse the pressure even more.  Maybe it would be worth looking at adifferemnjt type of management structure - a manager and a 'head coach' type set up rather than the one 'supremo' type stuff?
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Joe Umbrella (hey)

They could do worse than go for somene like Pete McGrath. He's managed successful teams at all county levels including Ireland in the Compo rules. He even took Down to the Ulster U/21 title this year showing he still has an apetite for the managment game and he would be shrew with the Media too which is part and partial of leading the Dubs.

ExiledGael

Quote from: INDIANA on August 17, 2008, 02:02:55 PM
honestly lads it doesn't matter because we aren't good enough. underage record is poor as well . a posioned chalice.

Did Alan Brogan not captain Dublin to an All-Ireland title a few years back? What more can you do at underage level.
I think it's a bit of a cop out now for Dublin to say they haven't the players to challenge at the top. A lot of them need to grow up fast, including some of the older players, and they need a top manager to help them do that.
Leaderless yesterday, and absolutely clueless in attack without Alan Brogan.

David McKeown

Quote from: paddypastit on August 17, 2008, 02:25:59 PM
Be careful with what ye wish for re Kernan. I think time will prove that he is a limited manager.  Good motivator that topped off a team that was in the making for years and had a momentum built up.  Never able to move it on and once the 'Plan A' was sussed, he was outsmarted on the sideline by quite a few peers. Bit like Micko - got lucky with timing in the team that he came to manage and was clever enough to build a reputataion around the acheivements of the players he got that gave his god like status that persuaded Co Bd officals to invest big money to back teams across the line.

Which of numerous title winning teams are you refering to here?  Was it his Cross team or his Armagh team?  Not the greatest manager ever but definately more than a limited manager
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

INDIANA

Did Alan Brogan not captain Dublin to an All-Ireland title a few years back? What more can you do at underage level.
I think it's a bit of a cop out now for Dublin to say they haven't the players to challenge at the top. A lot of them need to grow up fast, including some of the older players, and they need a top manager to help them do that.

mate you know nothing about underage in Dublin. we haven't won a first round minor/u21 game for about 4 years. hardly a good record. we have won 1 u21 all -ireland since its exception 35 years ago and didn;t play in the grade for long periods. We have won 1 minor all -ireland in 24 years. Its not a cop out , its the facts. so in future do your research before commenting on something you know nothing about. We don;t have the players with the winning mentality from underage to supplement the squad and add the extra 20%. that comes from underage. you think tyrone's success has been built on losing the first round of the ulster minor championship every year.
Me arse.

orangeman

Tommy Lyons should get another go at it ! The problem with Tommy last time was that he forgot the players names -  surely you can put name badges on all the players and this will sort it out.

ExiledGael

Quote from: INDIANA on August 17, 2008, 08:08:53 PM

mate you know nothing about underage in Dublin. we haven't won a first round minor/u21 game for about 4 years. hardly a good record. we have won 1 u21 all -ireland since its exception 35 years ago and didn;t play in the grade for long periods. We have won 1 minor all -ireland in 24 years. Its not a cop out , its the facts. so in future do your research before commenting on something you know nothing about. We don;t have the players with the winning mentality from underage to supplement the squad and add the extra 20%. that comes from underage. you think tyrone's success has been built on losing the first round of the ulster minor championship every year.
Me arse.

It's unforgivable for teams like Mayo to reach All-Irelands when Dublin haven't in how many years. There are players there that can take them to that level at least, they've thrown away winning positions in a number of huge matches in recent years due to a serious mental weakness and bad preparation and management. I honestly think they should have reached that level at least, maybe though then losing out to great Kerry & Tyrone teams. You also beat Tyrone in that 2003 U-21 final.

Rossfan

Quote from: ExiledGael on August 17, 2008, 08:59:46 PM
[It's unforgivable for teams like Mayo to reach All-Irelands when Dublin haven't in how many years. There are players there that can take them to that level at least,

There obviously aren't the players there or they would have bet Mayo in 2006.
Only for Dessie Dolan fluffing a few scorable chances Dublin wouldnt have reached the Leinster Final this year.
The hype and the noise/Hill16 etc may frighten some middlin teams but whenever they met the top teams Dublin this Century just simply havent been good enough.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Muzz

Quote from: orangeman on August 17, 2008, 08:09:08 PM
Tommy Lyons should get another go at it ! The problem with Tommy last time was that he forgot the players names -  surely you can put name badges on all the players and this will sort it out.

Wasnt sure but I think he ruling himself out  ;)  Well that what I took from his words...

orangeman

Quote from: Muzz on August 17, 2008, 10:55:27 PM
Quote from: orangeman on August 17, 2008, 08:09:08 PM

Wasnt sure but I think he ruling himself out  ;)  Well that what I took from his words...
[/b]

He doesn't know what he's saying - so I think it's official - Tommy Lyons is the new Dublin Boss for 2010 !  ;) :D :D

paddypastit

Quote from: David McKeown on August 17, 2008, 07:56:34 PM
Quote from: paddypastit on August 17, 2008, 02:25:59 PM
Be careful with what ye wish for re Kernan. I think time will prove that he is a limited manager.  Good motivator that topped off a team that was in the making for years and had a momentum built up.  Never able to move it on and once the 'Plan A' was sussed, he was outsmarted on the sideline by quite a few peers. Bit like Micko - got lucky with timing in the team that he came to manage and was clever enough to build a reputataion around the acheivements of the players he got that gave his god like status that persuaded Co Bd officals to invest big money to back teams across the line.

Which of numerous title winning teams are you refering to here?  Was it his Cross team or his Armagh team?  Not the greatest manager ever but definately more than a limited manager

Now that you ask... all of them.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word