tyrone v's wexford 2008 Ai semi final

Started by the Deel Rover, August 16, 2008, 05:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Tyrone were playing in a semi final - they scored 23 points and beat Wexford by 6 - that's really all you need to know - now they're in the final where in spite of Kerry's bullish talk, Kerry really aren't relishing the challenge. Kerry know Tyrone can beat them and they're as nervous as hell.

Well done to Mickey  Harte, the backroom team and the players - he has taken this team to an AI final from nowhere.

Zapatista

Quote from: orangeman on September 01, 2008, 10:13:39 AM

Well done to Mickey  Harte, the backroom team and the players - he has taken this team to an AI final from nowhere.

Spot on Orangeman.

red hander

Quote from: clarshack on September 01, 2008, 10:05:55 AM
i thought jordan was superb yesterday - it was more like the jordan of old. it was a good overall performance from the team and I think Kerry are ready for the taking. there'll be lot made out of galvin's return and daragh o'sheas last game so hopefully they'll lose some focus.

Aye Jordan was brilliant, also thought Penrose had a good game along with joey and mccullagh

Rois

Did no one else see McCullagh's poor handling at the start?  There were at least three balls that weren't caught or were dropped, maybe it was just a case of focussing because he certainly came through.

I thought Tommy McGuigan was a fantastic full forward, he beat his man every time, was always showing and made a great catch or two. 

Zapatista

Quote from: Rois on September 01, 2008, 12:33:37 PM
Did no one else see McCullagh's poor handling at the start?  There were at least three balls that weren't caught or were dropped, maybe it was just a case of focussing because he certainly came through.

I thought Tommy McGuigan was a fantastic full forward, he beat his man every time, was always showing and made a great catch or two. 

I did see that, he completely misjudged the first pass to him. He nearly fumbled one after that but gained control again. Other than that I thought he was flawless.

nrico2006

Yep, McCullough was fumbling badly at the start but he soon picked it up.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Main Street

I thought in marked contrast to the previous game it was played in a good spirit. I hardly noticed McEneaney. Players got on with game.
I have noticed in a few games that Tyrone's discipline is very good. They don't crowd the ref and scream at him, they just get on with getting into defensive positions. Dooher is a calm captain to have in any storm. After Wexford came back into the game, Dooher quietly appears in strange places scooping up the ball, maybe he even broke though on his own and pointed then. Imo he exemplifies real leadership and can also apply it with the minimum of fuss at the important times.

reddgnhand

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 31, 2008, 06:33:57 PM
How did Dooher manage to get away with taking the Wexford player out of the play in the square without being picked up by the umpires at least???

You should become a referee and carry on your crusade. Christ what a moaner.

JMohan

McEnaeny is a credit to the game, he'd nearly make a bad game good.

The thing I like about him is the fact he blows the whistle a lot less than others do, it's a mans game and he lets them get on with it, he lets bits of niggles sort themselves out unless they can't and the players respect that. Before him the best was probably Sugrue - he was much the same, blow it at the begining and end of the match and off you went.

ziggysego

Another terrific performance by Tyrone yesterday at Croke Park. It showed that the game against Dublin was not a flash in the pan and was not down to how bad Dublin were supposedly were.

Colm McCullagh is really showing form this past few days and is really stepping up to the plate to fill that void SoN left. Not sure McCullagh,  T. McGuigan, Penrose, the lot of them. They are really beginning to show that there's a lot more in the Tyrone tank to give.

Wexford displayed some great fight and really took the game to Tyrone in the second half and made a game of it. Some have stated that Tyrone took the foot off the pedal, but I think it was more of Wexford showing some of the form they've showed all year.

Testing Accessibility

Model Hammer

I was pleased that Wexford went down fighting at least, and they were clearly determined that there would be no capitulation this time.
It was a shame that we allowed ourselves to fall so far behind so early (11 to 2 is a serious setback!). Tyrone were awesome, but really shouldn't have been allowed so much ball and room.

Against all the odds then we managed to make a game of it. Tyrone probably got a bit complacent especially when our no. 15 didn't emerge for the 2nd half. When we had that period of possession just after the goal we hit some fairly hopeful ball up to the FF line. Colfer is a good man under the high ball, but he got very little support under the breaks, and some of the ball in was poor enough. It's a pity we didn't use young Roche and Deely on the ball a bit more, as they started so well when they came in. I though Red was very quiet by his standards, when we rely on him so badly to lead.

As I said they fought to the end, and the ground that Bradley and Roche made up near the end to get in tackles and blocks was a joy to behold. Wallace guarded his area well (though Davy Harte was unlucky). 3 clean sheets in the last 3 games is a fair achiievement for Masterson and his previously much-maligned full back line, but Tyrone had enough scoring talent to win comfortably on minors alone. You can't really hold the full-back line responsible for the 0-7 scored by defenders!

All in all a great year, and plenty of experience bottled for next year. I wouldn't expect to be in an AI semi-final next year, but a serious tilt at the Leinster Title has to be the aim, and it can be done. Hopefully we can have a good Div 2 campaign, secure our 2nd flight status and bring on the younger lads and a few more with them.

Should be an absolute cracker of an AI Final. The right two teams are in it, and who ever wins it, it will have been hard-earned!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Main Street

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

redhandluke

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 01, 2008, 01:07:19 PM
Yep, McCullough was fumbling badly at the start but he soon picked it up.

McCullough had a great game - thought his handling under the Hogan stand at one stage was superb near the sideline - side-stepping his markers when a lesser player would have been pushed over the line.

Glad to see him getting his reward for giving up the girls game with Newry