tyrone v's wexford 2008 Ai semi final

Started by the Deel Rover, August 16, 2008, 05:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

In the league they played Fermanagh twice - drew with them in Fermanagh and then beat them in the League final. They also beat Down in the NFL. In the championship they've beaten Down and Armagh, as well as Meath and Laois. They have a 10-2-1 record this year, their only defeat was the collapse in the Leinster Final. This is a side accustomed to winning.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Over the Bar

Mattie WexForde must be stopped at all costs.  Step forward the block.   Only man for the job.  Sorry Justin, but we canlt take the risk on you being up to the task.

feetofflames

Dont get me wrong Im delighted to be there but I always felt that Tyrone can sometimes underperform to the media profile of the opposition in Croke Park
Over the years the games Tyrone went in against so called lesser favoured teams and lost.  We can suck in as much hype as we want before this game or we can choose to reject it and do the fcukin work.  We were favourites on the following occasions in the past few years
Sligo - 02
Meath - 96 and 07
Mayo - 04
Derry 97
Down 99
Derry 01
Laois 06
We dont like being favourites.  
Chief Wiggum

Jinxy

Hope Mattie doesn't pick up an early yellow.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zapatista

Quote from: feetofflames on August 18, 2008, 01:54:12 PM
People might say this match has a tremendous novelty factor.  These are the same people that are interested in looking for novelty factors. Fcuk them and their novelty factors.  Some people say that Wexford have nothing to lose - its almost a disclaimer.  Wexford have an awful lot to lose - a tilt at Sam in the final, so anybody that tells you that Wexford have nothing to lose tell them to fcuk off and wise up.  Wexford will not be thinking about going in with gay abandon and leaving with their heads held high.  Tyrone have been shit the last 2 years and they could go back to being shit again.  Wexford are good enough to beat Tyrone and make it to an AI final so they'll damn sure not want to lose.   Having seen Wexford this year twice Im telling you the novelty factor will be that Tyrone need to be prprerd for a baatle royal or they will be the next big shock in the championship.  Wexford wont have to stop Tyrone, who have had one good hour this 3 years Tyrone will have to stop Wexford who have had at least 4 good hours this year,  

Well said!!

All this shit talk about hunger pisses me off too. People slabbering about "Tyrone were hungrier" is nonsense. If anyone thinks Tyrone wanted to win more than Dublin they are fools with the likes of Tommy Lyons. Every man women and child in Dublin wanted to win. The same as Tipp yesterday. Waterford were every bit as hungry after 1, 2, 3 all the way to  44 years as they were after 45 years. It did not change yesterday. Alan Brogans face said it all when he was going off. That guy and his team mates wanted to play and wanted nothing else but a win. The same can be said for Tyrone. Anyone who takes to a field in a Championship quarter final has one thing on their mind and that is winning. So take your hunger and stick it up your ass. If I was a manager and felt a player wasn't as hungry as the next man I would seriouly consider dropping them.

Zapatista

Quote from: Over the Bar on August 18, 2008, 02:02:56 PM
Mattie WexForde must be stopped at all costs.  Step forward the block.   Only man for the job.  Sorry Justin, but we canlt take the risk on you being up to the task.

Justin is the man for the job. He is our Full Back. If it is not working out then change it but for now it's Justys job.

ONeill

To be fair Zapatista, the biggest load of bollox I read before the game was your prediction that it would be a slopply unattractive game with Dublin pulling away in the last 10 minutes as the Dubs had that 'bit of class and cool heads' which we supposedly hadn't. Now if that wasn't fictional media-talk I don't know what is. Dublin have never had those qualities.

Zapatista

Quote from: ONeill on August 18, 2008, 02:14:48 PM
To be fair Zapatista, the biggest load of bollox I read before the game was your prediction that it would be a slopply unattractive game with Dublin pulling away in the last 10 minutes as the Dubs had that 'bit of class and cool heads' which we supposedly hadn't. Now if that wasn't fictional media-talk I don't know what is. Dublin have never had those qualities.

Guilty.

Quote from: Zapatista on August 16, 2008, 08:02:43 AM
Why do we think Dublin are fitter? I have seen this mentioned a few times but don't know how that conclusion was reached.

I predict a slopply unattractive game but a good contest and battle, with Dublin pulling away in the last 10 minutes. As was seen with Kerry V Galway and Cork V Kilkenny that bit of class and cool heads is the difference between real Champions and the rest. I think Dublin might have that quality this year.

I think you are being a little misleading though. I was right about the fittness. Dublin were sloppy and unattractive. I was wrong with my result and that Dublin quality but I was hardly alone in that. I stand by what I said about cool heads but I did attribute it to the wrong team. Again I was not alone in this and think it was a reasonable position to take at the time.

feetofflames

agreed
Anybody that thinks the best team dosent win football games tell them to away and fcuk them selves.  No excuses, 4 teams stripped of hype, bullshit and tags ie that blanket defense bullshite (started by Spillane and bought into by people with neither a brain nor idea for themselves)  to the bare bones and throw the ball in.  The race for Sam this year is now between 4 teams
Kerry favourites with experience and are good enough to get back to the last 4 despite having a few things not go their way - if they play as well as they can they take a lot of beating but face tough opponents in Cork who appear to be rectifying their terrible showing in last yeasr aifinal.  Cork have shown they can beat Kerry and Kerry have shown they can beat Cork - could go either way.  The winners of this will be the media favourites for the final, but if you are chatting to any of this media ask them to shove their favouritism whrer the sun dont shine. I think all 4 teams would be very worthy winners.
Tyrone V Wexfors this game is a defeat of the 1994 Division 3 league final which Tyrone won, and thats as relevant as their game in 2002 or that infamous rainy league semi final.  Both teams have established a winning momentum and both would love to get to the final.  Do Wexford deserve to be fabvourites because they have consistently played better than Tyrone this year or do  Tyrone deserve to be favourites because they have won 2 Sams this decade.  Probably even chances all round, Id have thought.  Tyrone result against the Dubs was in my mind as freakish as Wexfords against the Dubs. When you look for patterns it Wexford for me when you look at the ability to hit a great one off result its Tyrone based on the evidence supplied to date this season.     
Chief Wiggum

ONeill

Quote from: Zapatista on August 18, 2008, 02:27:39 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 18, 2008, 02:14:48 PM

Guilty.

Quote from: Zapatista on August 16, 2008, 08:02:43 AM
Why do we think Dublin are fitter? I have seen this mentioned a few times but don't know how that conclusion was reached.

I predict a slopply unattractive game but a good contest and battle, with Dublin pulling away in the last 10 minutes. As was seen with Kerry V Galway and Cork V Kilkenny that bit of class and cool heads is the difference between real Champions and the rest. I think Dublin might have that quality this year.

I think you are being a little misleading though. I was right about the fittness. Dublin were sloppy and unattractive. I was wrong with my result and that Dublin quality but I was hardly alone in that. I stand by what I said about cool heads but I did attribute it to the wrong team. Again I was not alone in this and think it was a reasonable position to take at the time.

Fair enough. However on the previous point - you simply cannot rule out 'hunger' being a factor in some games. I've seen Division 3 teams beat Division 1 teams in Tyrone competitions because of complacency on one side versus an intense will to defeat a better side. Look at Cork and Kildare. There's no doubt Cork were a better side. However, after being 8-points up, they became complacent whereas McGeeney had the Lily Whites hyped to the eyeballs after the second half and could easily wave walked away with a robbery. Would Kildare have deserved it? Yes because they maintained that drive and will to succeed whereas the Rebels took their eye off the ball. So, yes, I believe the mental approach at this level is a factor.

nrico2006

QuoteWhen you look for patterns it Wexford for me when you look at the ability to hit a great one off result its Tyrone based on the evidence supplied to date this season.   

Tyrone have as much consistency in the Championship this year as Wexford.  They have both lost once each.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

feetofflames

Sorry I meant in terms of perfomance.  Wexford have been more impressive than Tyrone to Saturday
Chief Wiggum

nrico2006

I sorta see what you mean Fleet but its still a tight argument to say that Tyrone were less impressive than Wexford due to the drubbing Wexford received in the Leinster Final.  25 odd points in the Senior football championship football is as big a hammering as you will ever see whereas Tyrone lost narrowly to Down.  But I'm sure you will agree that none of this matters a fcuk come the semi final.  It will be an interesting match.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: feetofflames on August 18, 2008, 01:54:12 PM
People might say this match has a tremendous novelty factor.  These are the same people that are interested in looking for novelty factors. Fcuk them and their novelty factors.  Some people say that Wexford have nothing to lose - its almost a disclaimer.  Wexford have an awful lot to lose - a tilt at Sam in the final, so anybody that tells you that Wexford have nothing to lose tell them to fcuk off and wise up.  Wexford will not be thinking about going in with gay abandon and leaving with their heads held high.  Tyrone have been shit the last 2 years and they could go back to being shit again.  Wexford are good enough to beat Tyrone and make it to an AI final so they'll damn sure not want to lose.   Having seen Wexford this year twice Im telling you the novelty factor will be that Tyrone need to be prprerd for a baatle royal or they will be the next big shock in the championship.  Wexford wont have to stop Tyrone, who have had one good hour this 3 years Tyrone will have to stop Wexford who have had at least 4 good hours this year,  

We've been poor this past few years but wouldnt go that far. We didnt win an ulster title last year beating Fermanagh,Donegal and Monaghan without playing decent football. We have been good in patches this year but Saturday was the first time we put it together for a full match. Wexford will be a tough test and they have gained experience this year of what its like to play in big mathces in Croke Park. I'd be disappointed though if we dont go on and reach the final now. There's plenty of competition for places and the squad will be boosted from Saturdays win. I would hope that Wexford will struggle with the pace of the game played by Tyrone. It will be interesting to see if Tyrone can put together good performances back to back. If we underestimate Wexford (which I dont think the players will) we'll be out.

feetofflames

Agreed both men.  Listen Ive had tyrone people saying redficulous things about winning all irelands and the like and thats crazy talk.  The Dubs were the worst team Tyrone have played in Croke Park since Fermanagh 2003.  When we back up that performance Ill be happy because Ill know it was not a freak result of which theres been a lot this year.  I mena would form have pointed to the performance, Harte and Holmes had.  Fair fcuks to them guys, they were immense but Id expect the same the next day. 
Chief Wiggum