The term "Puke football"

Started by Mike Sheehy, August 13, 2008, 07:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

Whenever I hear  the term "Puke football" being used these days is, for the most part, by Notherners, specifically, those from Tyrone. Its quite astonishing how much this simple term has invaded their psyche. What is it lads..? I think if ye stopped talking about it it would just fade away. Just let it go......sticks and stones and all that. Why is it such a sensitive topic 5 years after it was uttered ?

rrhf

its a Kerry term not a Northern term. 

Main Street

I did a search for the term "puke football" on the GAA Discussion Board,

It looks like the term is mainly used by Mike Sheehy himself and other posters slagging off Tyrone  and or Ulster Football.

Zapatista

Don't trivialise it Mike it defines an era. It's up there with 'surfing the web' and 'axis of evil'.

under the bar

QuoteWhy is it such a sensitive topic 5 years after it was uttered ?

Not at all sensitive to us Mike.  Maybe you're double-bluffing to hide the scars.....

T Fearon

Its a term that has already indelibly entered the lexicon and will always be justifiably synonomous with Tyrone Football. Spillane was spot on the money here.

Zapatista

Quote from: T Fearon on August 13, 2008, 08:52:31 AM
Its a term that has already indelibly entered the lexicon and will always be justifiably synonomous with Tyrone Football. Spillane was spot on the money here.

As was his comparison with Armagh and his Granny a year earlier ;)

rrhf

I remember reading the granny faster than Francie statement and thinking thats out of order.  Now I dont think Francie would catch Pats Granny going for a ball over the top at all.

ONeill

Poor Pat couldn't explain the 'fluke'
So he labelled Tyrone's semi win 'puke'
But 2 years on they settled the score
By hammering Kerry clean out the door.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

T Fearon

Shane, at this juncture we do not need puke poetry from Tyrone as well as puke football. I persuaded Hardy to desist from his long winded insomnia curing stories that incredibly some people here found funny, I will now attempt to discourage you in your poetic attempts which are equally devoid of humour.

Zapatista

I think he meant to say 'Pure football' but the mistake took on a life of it's own and he just ran like his Granny with it.

magpie seanie

Jaysus if football makes some of ye puke ye must be a right shower of softies altogether.

T Fearon

Yes we can stomach oceans of Buckfast and remain perfectly healthy, but the mere sight of a white jersey with a red hand (and I dont mean an Ulster Rugbyl jersey) has us all reaching for the sickbags. I have been known to throw up in various O'Neills' retail outlets at the mere sight of one ;D

ONeill

Quote from: T Fearon on August 13, 2008, 09:37:50 AM
Yes we can stomach oceans of Buckfast and remain perfectly healthy, but the mere sight of a white jersey with a red hand (and I dont mean an Ulster Rugbyl jersey) has us all reaching for the sickbags. I have been known to throw up in various O'Neills' retail outlets at the mere sight of one ;D

That's understandable. '84, '03 and '05 were momumental defeats to the big brother.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Doohicky

I wonder has Spillane ever watched the 86 final again?
For the amount he complains about blanket defence you would think he never did it himself... :P