Are the Provincial Championships Friar Tucked?

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, August 12, 2008, 11:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazer

If everyone is so against the provincial format and want seedings etc

Sure why dont we just promote the National League more! After all it has divisions and counties playing like for like teams

We dont even need the All Ireland or the Provincials sure!

Seriously people, stop moaning about the getting rid of the Provincial titles, if we get rid of them and play a few divisions to get seeded, then into semi finals blah blah blah - Is that not just the league all over again with a few extra matches thrown in??? ANd we all know how much support the league gets compared to the All Ireland! There is more prestige associated with winning a Provincial title than winning the National League!
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteThe provincial Championships must be retained. Once we go down any other road we are writing off the lower tiers.

Nobody claims that Junior clubs up and down the country are "written off". But they are given a championship structure in which they can be compeititve and have a realistic chances of success and a chance to progress through the tiers as they strengthen.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Mike Sheehy

QuoteThe Munster championship is great fun altogether for Limerick and Tipperary and Waterford etc.

So, once again, despite Limerick being 5 points up against AI semi-finalists Cork with 2 mins to go, hammering Meath and doing a hell of a lot better against Kildare than Ulster finalist Fermanagh ye still view them as a soft touch.

What is the point in arguing with you lads. No matter what is said you will still blindly go on with your self serving arguments.

Tell you what, since you dont rate Limerick we'll trade you them for Down and Fermanagh. I gaurantee you we'd still qualify for the quarter-finals.

ExiledGael

Limerick are the only team in Munster with a chance of beating the top two. How about we trade them for Derry, Monaghan and Donegal?

DUBSFORSAM1

Just leave the provincial championships the way they are for f*cks sake....

Think of the joy that teams like Sligo, Westmeath, Laois etc have got in recent years from winning provincial champions and slightly further back Leitrim, Cavan etc and what it would do for teams like Fermanagh/Wexford to win one...

Lets make the fans travel the country more which will obviously improve attendances
Lets remove the local rivalries that make the game what it is...
Lets copy a soccer idea that is basically designed just for the top teams and screws the weak...

orangeman

Mike, you lads would beat Limerick with half a team and you know that !

ExiledGael

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 13, 2008, 08:25:44 PM
Just leave the provincial championships the way they are for f*cks sake....

Think of the joy that teams like Sligo, Westmeath, Laois etc have got in recent years from winning provincial champions and slightly further back Leitrim, Cavan etc and what it would do for teams like Fermanagh/Wexford to win one...

Lets make the fans travel the country more which will obviously improve attendances
Lets remove the local rivalries that make the game what it is...
Lets copy a soccer idea that is basically designed just for the top teams and screws the weak...

100% agree. You Dubs know the craic.

Bogball XV

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 13, 2008, 08:25:44 PMLets copy a soccer idea that is basically designed just for the top teams and screws the weak...
Is that not the current format??

Hurler on the Bitch

Look - If Dublin and Tyrone / Armagh can pack out Croke in February for a NFL (FIRST ROUND) games, well it doesnt take a rocket science to work out the maths. Dare I mentiion the attendances at the Dr McKarrn Cup games (Tyrone Armagh at Casement 2006) .. the fact is that there is an appetite to have an extended league / championship season.. if this is done with a bit of imagination well who knows? I feel that the National Football League is a good idea - but if we get 8,500 for a double-header final, well that shows that it can die a death in the latter stages - the championships in the provinces are outdated...

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on August 13, 2008, 09:26:53 PM
Look - If Dublin and Tyrone / Armagh can pack out Croke in February for a NFL (FIRST ROUND) games, well it doesnt take a rocket science to work out the maths. Dare I mentiion the attendances at the Dr McKarrn Cup games (Tyrone Armagh at Casement 2006) .. the fact is that there is an appetite to have an extended league / championship season.

Right...

What was the attendances for the quarter finals again? Croke wasn't even half full.

i usse an speelchekor

Hurler on the Bitch

RadioGAAGAA

i usse an speelchekor

Hurler on the Bitch

No but - if they had of been individual games, played on a Sunday, outside Croke, a bit better weather, well?.... Say Armagh v Wexford at Navan / Portlaoise ... Sunday 3.30 and Kerry v Galway at Limerick or Thurles - Sunday 3.30... I would remind you that whenever Kerry were on their roll in the 1980s, they rarely got more than 20,000 at semis at Croke .. 1982 v Armagh 17,500... 1985 v Monaghan 19,000 ...(replay got 51,000)...

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on August 13, 2008, 10:41:58 PM
No but - if they had of been individual games, played on a Sunday, outside Croke, a bit better weather, well?

Well nothing.

No. The attendances would have been no better.

The idea is a bad one - simple as that I'm afraid.
i usse an speelchekor

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on August 13, 2008, 11:15:33 PM
Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on August 13, 2008, 10:41:58 PM
No but - if they had of been individual games, played on a Sunday, outside Croke, a bit better weather, well?

Well nothing.

No. The attendances would have been no better.

The idea is a bad one - simple as that I'm afraid.

Sorry, that was not an argument on your behalf; in fact, it was shite!