Fianna Fail/SDLP

Started by Feckitt, August 11, 2008, 03:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

I sincerely hope that Fianna Fáil do start organising in the north but I can't see the point in them attaching themselves to an irrelevance such as the SDLP. I spoke with an Ográ Fianna Fáiler on this issue in Queens' a few months back and he said that they wouldn't be joining up with a sinking ship.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

brokencrossbar1

They are looking to restructure the whole party into a party similar to the Irish Party under Parnell etc.  I actually think it might be a good idea.  The novelty factor of the voting for Sinn Fein will wear off soon in the north unless they change their economic policies (or at least define some ).  The way FF are looking at it is that the best way to gain a foothold in the north is to try to attract the disaffected MC catholics who moved their vote away from SDLP and also they are trying to appeal to the less fundamental unionist vote who could be swayed on an economic basis.  I think it makes logical sense as if they are allied to SF they will lose support down south and will have difficulty getting floating voters to follow them.  It will re-invigorate SDLP and may actually make a sizeable dent into Ulster Unionist votes in certain areas, like say Fermanagh and parts of Down and Derry.

Tankie

Quote from: slow corner back on August 11, 2008, 09:35:41 PM

No its completly different, for example the IDA works hard to attract business to Ireland and this is a government back group in regards to tax incentive etc, now if you had the NIDA (dont know if there is one) trying to get the same business back by the same political party how do they choose who they should push to help. there are huge differences in Irish and NI politics and government workings and I am very much behind 'close links' i would be very much against FF ruling in both governments, you cannot have a government that would have a conflict of interest!

You seem to be making things more complicated than they need to be. FF could organise in the north with the intention of building closer links which you seem to be in favour of. There would be no need for FF to go into government. The SDLp are not in Government but this does not mean they are not involved. Closer links between the IDA and an NIDa would be much better for the people than two competetive bodies.
[/quote]

Zapista
Margaret Ritchie is the social development minister, if policing and justice are transferred then under the D'Honte arrangement the SDLP pick up another ministry.
Tankie
As for the IDA/Invest NI argument inward investment anywhere on this island brings benefits to the whole island. Do you honestly believe no northern companies supply into Intel? To say nothing for the many Northerners who work for Intel now or in the past?

Why is it a problem having a party in power on both sides of the border? If SF had not performed so poorly at the last southern general election then that is exactly what you would have had.
[/quote]

It is a problem because they are two completely different governments, what happens when some thing comes up which is Very good for the south but something the North would be against or vice versa, what would FF do? they would probably have to dump the idea and leave the status quo.

Intel in the South has a huge effect on the Irish ecconomy while it only has a small effect for the northern ecconomy, if the choise had to be made i would rather have intel in the south.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Zapatista

Quote from: Tankie on August 12, 2008, 09:45:12 AM

It is a problem because they are two completely different governments,

In what way are they completely different? I think they are more alike than they are different.

For every point you make about how it would not be better there are more to point to where it would be better. Decisions around Security, Health Care, infastructure etc would be much easier and effective if made with two Governments on the island with the same goals.

I think you just don't want to see it Tankie and are making an issue about trivial points to justify it to yourself.

Tankie

Quote from: Zapatista on August 12, 2008, 10:01:59 AM
Quote from: Tankie on August 12, 2008, 09:45:12 AM

It is a problem because they are two completely different governments,

In what way are they completely different? I think they are more alike than they are different.

For every point you make about how it would not be better there are more to point to where it would be better. Decisions around Security, Health Care, infastructure etc would be much easier and effective if made with two Governments on the island with the same goals.

I think you just don't want to see it Tankie and are making an issue about trivial points to justify it to yourself.

All the areas you mention are covered under the British Irish council, maybe except heath care which is probably a benifit to the north that the clowns we have cannot c**k that up for you guys. but infrastructure and security are always discussed. Can you see the point i am making about investment and conflict of interest?
Grand Slam Saturday!

Zapatista

Quote from: Tankie on August 12, 2008, 10:07:09 AM

All the areas you mention are covered under the British Irish council, maybe except heath care which is probably a benifit to the north that the clowns we have cannot c**k that up for you guys. but infrastructure and security are always discussed. Can you see the point i am making about investment and conflict of interest?

I thought the poor health system was the work of the PDs rather than FF :P

I can see your point but I think it is a minor problem.

Tankie

Quote from: Zapatista on August 12, 2008, 10:20:31 AM

I thought the poor health system was the work of the PDs rather than FF.

The heath system has always been in shite and just got worse over the past 30 years, over which FF have been in power for the majority of that time so thay would have to take the blame!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Zapatista

Quote from: Tankie on August 12, 2008, 10:23:11 AM

The heath system has always been in shite and just got worse over the past 30 years, over which FF have been in power for the majority of that time so thay would have to take the blame!

Perhaps they could learn from politics in the north and introduce the NHS island wide. Everyone would be a winner.

Tankie

Quote from: Zapatista on August 12, 2008, 10:31:56 AM
Quote from: Tankie on August 12, 2008, 10:23:11 AM

Perhaps they could learn from politics in the north and introduce the NHS island wide. Everyone would be a winner.

i dont think it would take us to long to work out the NI ecconomic policy. i think it goes comething like - leach of the british taxpayer as much as possible and get free health care even tho its costs the boys in mainland britain a fortune in tax.

I really cant see it work out for us! ;)
Grand Slam Saturday!

Zapatista

maybe except heath care which is probably a benifit to the north that the clowns we have cannot c**k that up for you guys.

Quote from: Tankie on August 12, 2008, 10:36:19 AM

:o

Tankie

Quote from: Zapatista on August 12, 2008, 10:38:32 AM

maybe except heath care which is probably a benifit to the north that the clowns we have cannot c**k that up for you guys.

:o

???
Grand Slam Saturday!

slow corner back

There would undoubtedly be losses around the fringes of the SDLP, Austin Currie joined Fine Gael when he left. However a large part of the SDLP would feel a lot more relevant merged with FF and do not underestimate the lure of power to wanabee politicians.

Rossfan

get free health care even tho its costs the boys in mainland britain a fortune in tax.

Do Islanders off the coast of Britain(England/Scotland/Wales) not pay tax?  :o
I suppose living in Orkney,Shetlands,Hebrides etc would want to have one perk at least.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dodgy umpire

some grassroot SDLP members "would sooner swallow broken glass" than join up with fianna fail it was quoted to me, and id say a lot of fianna fail members would feel that they wouldnt want to be dragged down by the SDLP. also , nationalist seats like fermanagh/s.tyrone would probably go unionist if the nationalist vote was split more. thats assuming the TUV has little impact on the unionist vote.
The Boys in Red and Black are back

Hurler on the Bitch

The Solicitors, Doctors and Lawyers, Party might as wel just throw in the towel at this stage. They are so divided that they are on the verge of splitting. They have virtually no support in the grassroots of nationalism in the north and their youth wing (Alex Attwood in a pair of Reboks?) is about as radical as Peter Robinson's haircut. I wish that their new generation would start dealing with real issues - and not protesting about Zimbabwe, Tibet, China (all that Amnesty Shite) and addressing issues closer to home. The world does not end at the Lisburn Road in Belfast methinks.. As for Ogra Sinn Fein? Don't start me...