Fianna Fail/SDLP

Started by Feckitt, August 11, 2008, 03:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feckitt

Heard from a very good source at the weekend that all the big moves are going to happen in September of this year.  Anyone close to the stoops heard about this?

brokencrossbar1

Recently spoke to a member of the steering committee within FF.  He was saying to me that they are at advanced stages but that they may pull back as they are not sure how strong SDLP are.  They see it as a move towards an All island nationalist party.  They have reservations about going into anything with SF but realise that they may need to do something to appease them also. 

Feckitt

BC, I had also heard that the FFers where pulling back on the whole arrangemnet, but apparently it is now all systems go from next month.

brokencrossbar1

Could well be the case.  It was at the start of June that I spoke to this man and he said that Dermot Aherne was really pushing hard to make the link but that some of the more southernly members were not fully in agreement.  I would like to see them moving north but I am unsure if aligning themselves with the Stoops is a good idea. 

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Are FF going to try and resuscitate the dying man that is the SDLP?
All that this will do is to fracture the Nationalist vote even more.
Tbc....

Zapatista

FF are as serious as a hooker with a personality. If this happenes in the next ten years I will eat my hat.

Tankie

i really dont see the point in this move, i could see the long term benifits if there was a unitrd ireland but that is a long long long way off! other that that i cannot really see the advantages
Grand Slam Saturday!

mylestheslasher

Are FF trying to spread corruption north of the border now too?

Zapatista

Quote from: Tankie on August 11, 2008, 04:48:00 PM
i really dont see the point in this move, i could see the long term benifits if there was a unitrd ireland but that is a long long long way off! other that that i cannot really see the advantages

FF should be concerned about the good such a move would be for the Irish people rather than the good such a move would be for FF (I assume you mean such a move would be bad for FF) If FF believe they are best to represent the Irish people then surely thiey should expand to the North aswell? As FFs only concern is FF this will not happen anytime soon.

Tankie

Quote from: Zapatista on August 11, 2008, 04:58:05 PM
Quote from: Tankie on August 11, 2008, 04:48:00 PM

FF should be concerned about the good such a move would be for the Irish people rather than the good such a move would be for FF (I assume you mean such a move would be bad for FF) If FF believe they are best to represent the Irish people then surely thiey should expand to the North aswell? As FFs only concern is FF this will not happen anytime soon.

I would not be in favour of FF being in power both North and South as there will be a conflict of interest at some stage where decisions will have to eb made that may be bad for north or south and will probably lead to inaction from FF as they will not want to make the decision. In theory the idea of a government part in power both north and sout but in reality i cant see how it would be good for the people as they are two different governments with different mandates and government partners!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Zapatista

Would it not improve relations with our closest neighbours? That's bound to help. Would the interests of the Irish people not be the same across Ireland? Should FF not run in city and country constituensies due to a potential conflict of interests?

Tankie

Quote from: Zapatista on August 11, 2008, 05:08:06 PM
Would it not improve relations with our closest neighbours? That's bound to help. Would the interests of the Irish people not be the same across Ireland? Should FF not run in city and country constituensies due to a potential conflict of interests?

No its completly different, for example the IDA works hard to attract business to Ireland and this is a government back group in regards to tax incentive etc, now if you had the NIDA (dont know if there is one) trying to get the same business back by the same political party how do they choose who they should push to help. there are huge differences in Irish and NI politics and government workings and I am very much behind 'close links' i would be very much against FF ruling in both governments, you cannot have a government that would have a conflict of interest!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Zapatista

Quote from: Tankie on August 11, 2008, 05:20:22 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on August 11, 2008, 05:08:06 PM

No its completly different, for example the IDA works hard to attract business to Ireland and this is a government back group in regards to tax incentive etc, now if you had the NIDA (dont know if there is one) trying to get the same business back by the same political party how do they choose who they should push to help. there are huge differences in Irish and NI politics and government workings and I am very much behind 'close links' i would be very much against FF ruling in both governments, you cannot have a government that would have a conflict of interest!

You seem to be making things more complicated than they need to be. FF could organise in the north with the intention of building closer links which you seem to be in favour of. There would be no need for FF to go into government. The SDLp are not in Government but this does not mean they are not involved. Closer links between the IDA and an NIDa would be much better for the people than two competetive bodies.

magickingdom

as a lifelong ffer i would love to see ff organise in the north...

slow corner back

[/quote]

You seem to be making things more complicated than they need to be. FF could organise in the north with the intention of building closer links which you seem to be in favour of. There would be no need for FF to go into government. The SDLp are not in Government but this does not mean they are not involved. Closer links between the IDA and an NIDa would be much better for the people than two competetive bodies.
[/quote]

Zapista
Margaret Ritchie is the social development minister, if policing and justice are transferred then under the D'Honte arrangement the SDLP pick up another ministry.
Tankie
As for the IDA/Invest NI argument inward investment anywhere on this island brings benefits to the whole island. Do you honestly believe no northern companies supply into Intel? To say nothing for the many Northerners who work for Intel now or in the past?

Why is it a problem having a party in power on both sides of the border? If SF had not performed so poorly at the last southern general election then that is exactly what you would have had.