If you were giving out All Stars at this stage, who would be shoo ins ?

Started by orangeman, August 11, 2008, 02:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

QuoteCluxton conceded 3 goals to Tyrone ??

Doesn't matter a damn.  He's still "the best in the business" according to Darragh Moloney and McStay.

I thought he should have done better with regard to all 3 goals.

corn02

Quote from: Over the Bar on August 18, 2008, 01:33:32 PM
QuoteCluxton conceded 3 goals to Tyrone ??

Doesn't matter a damn.  He's still "the best in the business" according to Darragh Moloney and McStay.

I thought he should have done better with regard to all 3 goals.
Maybe Cavanaghs. Hadn't a chance for the other two, excellent finishes.

his holiness nb

Alan Brogan had 2 excellent games, one game he was marked out of and one he came off injured early on in. not all-star stuff unfortunately.

The only chance the Dubs have of an all star is Cluxton. I wouldnt blame him for any of the Tyrone goals at all. But he really didnt have a huge amount to do this year before saturday.

I do think he is the best goalkeeper in the country at the moment, but dont think he should get an all star this year for that very reason.
Ask me holy bollix

orangeman

Justin Mc Mahon has had a very steady campaign - could he come in under the radar ???

ExiledGael

Ronan Gallagher would have to be ahead of him surely.

By him I mean James Reill in nets.

Big Mickey

justin mc mahon hasnt put a foot wrong all championship.probably not a natural full back but none of his men ave done any damage this year. a nomination definitely if tyrone reach the final and there alot depends on how he gets on in the final.could be marking donaghy (who he did very well against in teh league holding him scorless) and if he puts in a good perfornce there then very possibly an allstar could be coming his way.

put it this way,who else is there???

just an aside however, anyone else think that maybe fullback could just go to whoever plays full back on the all ireland champions team?????

20leg-end08

Quote from: orangeman on August 18, 2008, 01:44:35 PM
Justin Mc Mahon has had a very steady campaign - could he come in under the radar ???

I think Justins performances in the team have been superb since he was placed at full-back. Every game he's stepped up his performance and surely he would be the front-runner for young player of the year if he performs against wexford.
It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me

cadhlancian

Quote from: Hardy on August 18, 2008, 11:14:46 AM
Quote from: orangeman on August 18, 2008, 10:49:29 AM
Cluxton conceded 3 goals to Tyrone ??

And these people are paid for their opinions!
and there opinions before the game were that Tyrone , would be beat up the road :o I guess they got that wrong, nice to be paid for knowing nothing!

timmyot501

Goalkeepers - Ronan Gallagher from Fermanagh has been solid all year as has McBennett from Monaghan but both have been knocked out too early for consideration I reckon.  Devine is normally good but it was a blunder and a half on Sat.  But he has chances to redeem himself and I think it will be one of the four keepers left in the hat.

Only definates so far are prob Meehan and Forde for the Corner forward positions.  Full Forward is prob Donaghy as Cavanagh tends to play in a few different positions.  But with 3 games left a few heros might still come to the fore and earn an all-star when it really matters.  Others can still manage to throw theirs in the bin like Dublin did last weekend (Has Ryan done enough to earn one or did he need another game or 2?)

Over the Bar

QuoteMaybe Cavanaghs. Hadn't a chance for the other two, excellent finishes.

3 great finishes, but you'd expect him to have stretched himself a little.  He gave a feeble stretch in the direction of the ball and then his body language said "What's the point"?  By the time Davy Harte ran thru
I think Cluxton had given up all hope.   

his holiness nb

Quote from: timmyot501 on August 19, 2008, 09:49:11 AM
Has Ryan done enough to earn one or did he need another game or 2?

Not enough, was excellent in Leinster, but to stand a chance he at least needed one great performance in the knockout stages.
Ask me holy bollix

Uladh

Dubs will probably get 4/5 nominations but no all stars. when did they last not get one? 2000/2001?

Rav67

Quote from: Uladh on August 19, 2008, 02:01:46 PM

Dubs will probably get 4/5 nominations but no all stars. when did they last not get one? 2000/2001?

I think Goggins got one in '01.  I dont think they got any in '04 though, Dublin were shite that year.

rrhf

Mc Menamin, Mc Ginley, Gormley, Cavanagh, Dooher are shoe ins at this stage with dooher in the running for the player of the year, but with plently of turns yet. The two Mc Mahons are really taking this championship by the scruff of the neck too.  The all stars will have to reflect the demise in the importance of the provincial series so that could be tough on the dubs, Armagh and Galway.  Can anyone remember who won the national league as well?     

his holiness nb

Quote from: rrhf on August 19, 2008, 05:10:45 PM
Mc Menamin, Mc Ginley, Gormley, Cavanagh, Dooher are shoe ins at this stage

If Wexford should pull off a shock it would be unusual to see 5 losing semi finalists get all stars, even if they deserve them.
Ask me holy bollix