Is soccer boring?

Started by his holiness nb, August 11, 2008, 01:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: nifan on August 11, 2008, 03:23:07 PM
In the Wexford match on Saturday the commentators spent the entire first half saying that Wexford where getting dominated etc, but the teams went in with a very marginal difference. (admittedly i felt the commentators where overegging the domination).  How does this square withwhats been said - was it simply the commentators talking balls about the difference, or was it the influence of the wexford free taker who had scored all bar one of the points?

I think that was a case of the pundits actually overrating that Armagh team on past achievements. As in they usually win tight games like these so they probably will do so again today no matter what Wexford do.

The Real Laoislad

Bottom line is all sport can be boring especially if your not a avid fan..and you will always get someone who would rather watch a bad match of their sport than a excellent match in another.
I love practically every sport,and i also give most sports a chance
For example i have tried watching American Football and it does nothing for me,I'd rather watch paint dry but i understand some love it,Same with Cricket though i did get into it at the last World Cup.
I would follow any sport that a Irish man is competing in
For what its worth the Golf last night was as good as anything i have ever experienced as a sports fan,and that includes soccer and gaa,It had it all and the fact that their was a Irish man competing at the top table made it even sweeter.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Rav67

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 11, 2008, 03:15:24 PM
There may not be much scoring in soccer but when there is a score it is a big deal hence the wild celebrations. Part of the beauty of soccer (or weakness depending on your point of view) is that because games can often finish 1-0 it is not uncommon for a less talented team to beat a better team if they get their tactics right and get a bit of luck. Obviously this is far less common in sports like GAA and rugby where there is a higher scoring rate so generally the better team wins more often than not.

But in soccer you have 90 mins so the better team should have more time to exert their dominance.  Upsets in rugby do seem to be very uncommon.

Keepthefaith93

I think scoccer is the most boring sport in the world to watch, i can watch any sport but scoccer puts me to sleep, it is pure crap.
Although having said this its a good enough game to play.

his holiness nb

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 11, 2008, 03:14:46 PM
And for what it's worth comparing a Charity friendly match to a 1/4 Final of a major competition is plain stupid IMHO

Well sorry LL, the way they were talking about it on sky sports they suggested it was a competitive game for an important trophy.
I must have misheard them  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

Main Street

Quote from: nifan on August 11, 2008, 03:23:07 PM
One of my pet peeves (coming from a soccer background) is guys taking a really easy point when there is a great chance of a goal, so in a way I see taking the "easy" option as a bit boring.
In Soccer the guy doesn't have an alternative  of getting a safe 1/3 of a goal :)
There is the easy point in Gaelic.
Sometimes there are cop outs, sometimes there are good reasons.
It is not as easy as it looks.
One thing that should be considered is that the player with the ball can't punch the ball over the goalies head into the net. But he can punch for a point.
He has to kick it to score a goal. The Matty Ford goal was a good example of that. He had the bit of space to dummy the keeper. If there is a defender on the line as well as the goalie, then it's a tight fit.
In the time a player drops the ball to the foot a defender can get in a block, Kildare's last chance a good example of that.

nifan

Yes main street, i am saying that due to my background i probably underestimate the necessity to take the easy point, or even the difficult point, there where some points on the weekend from tight angles in bad rain that I initially thought - why did he do that, then i thought myself of how difficult it would be to execute.

Matty Fords goal is essentially what Id (personally) like to see more of, good ball, good run - bellew let him go a bit easy mind - and then calm finish.
I know what you are saying about the time the ball drops - out of curiosity can they knee it in?

Bogball XV

Quote from: nifan on August 11, 2008, 05:35:48 PM
Yes main street, i am saying that due to my background i probably underestimate the necessity to take the easy point, or even the difficult point, there where some points on the weekend from tight angles in bad rain that I initially thought - why did he do that, then i thought myself of how difficult it would be to execute.

Matty Fords goal is essentially what Id (personally) like to see more of, good ball, good run - bellew let him go a bit easy mind - and then calm finish.
I know what you are saying about the time the ball drops - out of curiosity can they knee it in?
They can knee it in and like you i'd love to see more goals, I would be in favour of a 4 point goal, in saying that long range point scoring is also an art so maybe they should have a zone (like basketball's 3 point zone) where points from play are worth double, say anywhere outside 40 metres from goal (I am aware I'm sounding like Martin Breheny now).

Bogball XV

And no soccer is not an inherently boring game, many games we see are, but that's because, like shite gaa matches tactics play far too high a role in soccer - you can't blame the coaches and clubs, but they often forget that they are supposed to be entertainers.  What I would love to be to see the like of the euro championships repeated time and again, I can't see it somehow.

youngfella

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on August 11, 2008, 01:52:26 PM
I cant see how anyone could not enjoy a good gaelic match.

You should watch this new sport called hurling much more exciting.
Pull hard and early

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: youngfella on August 11, 2008, 06:19:35 PM

And much more skillfull than gaelic,soccer
A good hurling match is better than anything else if you ask me
You'll Never Walk Alone.

J70

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 11, 2008, 06:24:12 PM

Hurling has never done very much for me, to be honest.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: J70 on August 11, 2008, 06:25:09 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 11, 2008, 06:24:12 PM

Hurling has never done very much for me, to be honest.

Each to their own i suppose
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Agnes Dipesto

I would have said soccer was boring until I went to a match, the difference to watching it on TV is unreal. In saying that, the most exciting thing about soccer is if the game goes to penalties.

Gaelic football and hurling are much better games to watch.   

Dinny Breen

QuoteAnd much more skillfull than gaelic,soccer

Now I enjoy a good hurling game but to be brutally honest sitting down in Croke Park watching the game yesterday, all I could was lads hitting the ball as far as they could, poor sideline cuts, failure to pick the sliothar under pressure, terrible wides from both sides and unbelieveable amount of pulling and dragging. More skillful, not sure about that, much more skillful, definitely not.
#newbridgeornowhere