Greatest Irish Sportsperson

Started by The Real Laoislad, August 11, 2008, 01:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franko

Completely agree Bogball - had to speak up cos I was getting fed up reading the stupid replies!  The 66 on Sunday was exceptional - and would have taken some beating. However, the 66 on the saturday was not by any means a truly great round of golf and took full advantage of the timing/conditions.  The fact that the course record of 65 was set that day only goes to prove this.

I also have to laugh at the suggestions that Tiger Woods couldnt have shot 66, 66 in the final two rounds.  The man is unquestionably the greatest golfer in history - how can you possibly say that he wouldnt have been capable of equalling Harrington's score????  Smacks a bit of the old rose tinted jam jars....!

The whole 'asterisk' conversation I do feel is slightly unfair - however life is a bitch and the fact that it is being debated on here only goes to prove that it is on people's minds. Whether or not it will be forgotten about in years to come - only time will tell.

And on the topic of the thread  - yes I do believe that Harrington is now the greatest ever Irish sportsman. (And i'm not sure of the exact figures but I'd be willing to bet that there are more professional golfers in the world than professional middle distance runners...)