Pesky Ruskies!!

Started by An Fear Rua, August 08, 2008, 02:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fear Rua

They only gone and invaded Georgia.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7548715.stm

english radio2 is reporting that the Georgians are asking the US for help!!!    looks like Rocky will have to take one more fight.
Its Grim up North

Donagh

An while the rest of us are watching the Olympics an all.

An Fear Rua

Quote from: Donagh on August 08, 2008, 02:23:39 PM

would you completely rule out the chinese being involved in some way?!
Its Grim up North

Mentalman

Quote from: An Fear Rua on August 08, 2008, 02:24:45 PM
Quote from: Donagh on August 08, 2008, 02:23:39 PM

would you completely rule out the chinese being involved in some way?!

Ah sure the Chinese will be shockin disappointed, after all they've called for a worldwide truce while the Olympics are on...I'm sure the guns are silenbt in Darfur as we speak...
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

full back

Pour Chinese, having their call for a ceasefire during the Olympics ignored - after all they have done for world peace & harmony

Quote from: An Fear Rua on August 08, 2008, 02:21:05 PM
english radio2 is reporting that the Georgians are asking the US for help!!! 

Unless they have millions of gallons of oil the US will let them rot

gallsman

I never understand why the West vociferously supports regions such as Kosovo in their battles for independece, but when it comes to a region that has close ties with Russia, they're strangely silent. The Cold War is over 20 years!

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: gallsman on August 08, 2008, 02:45:24 PM
I never understand why the West vociferously supports regions such as Kosovo in their battles for independece, but when it comes to a region that has close ties with Russia, they're strangely silent. The Cold War is over 20 years!

This action puts the US in a tough spot with Russia,who are now supposedly an ally. Georgia has the third most troops in Iraq behind the US and GB. Never trusted the Russians they were/are always looking for more land to rule just look at Red Dawn.........WOLVERINES.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

The w**ks - sorry Yanks, have an oil pipeline running through Georgia from Azerbijian (?) to Turkey, so I think they will put alot of pressure on the Russians to get this dispute sorted asap.
Tbc....

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

gallsman

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on August 08, 2008, 04:20:41 PM

The w**ks - sorry Yanks, have an oil pipeline running through Georgia from Azerbijian (?) to Turkey, so I think they will put alot of pressure on the Russians to get this dispute sorted asap.

Yes, I know this, but why is the rest of the world silent? Whatever about Abkhazia, South Ossetia is about 70% Ossetian (who identify, naturally anough, with North Ossetia, and also Russia), not Georgia.

J70

Quote from: gallsman on August 08, 2008, 06:17:05 PM

Yes, I know this, but why is the rest of the world silent? Whatever about Abkhazia, South Ossetia is about 70% Ossetian (who identify, naturally anough, with North Ossetia, and also Russia), not Georgia.

Its easier to demand that the Yanks do something (or nothing, whatever the case may be) than to actually take any steps of our own.

gallsman

Quote from: J70 on August 08, 2008, 06:26:06 PM
Quote from: gallsman on August 08, 2008, 06:17:05 PM

Its easier to demand that the Yanks do something (or nothing, whatever the case may be) than to actually take any steps of our own.

I'm not speaking exclusively about the states. It just seems that the Western powers are very selective when it comes to calling for independence to be granted, and in this case it appears that the will of a people matters little, it's the political (and economic) unrest in a region that it could cause is the major factor, not to mention the looming Red figure.