Cavan Senior Football Managers job, Apply on Sporttracker.ie

Started by BallyhaiseMan, August 07, 2008, 03:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 08, 2008, 12:53:57 PM
From Lynchboy
Cavan are better than what they have shown, but need an experienced good man with them. While I don't think dempsey is that good to create an AI winning team, he certainly woul dbring them up a few levels and have them competing for an ulster.
Fermanagh are the template

Thats what we want.  But can we take the slagging we would get from Longford/Westmeath?  Here I mean the fans. 
What is like with the players?  Would he be able to keep Dermot McCabe interested in playing next year?
whats a slagging going to do ? Esp as you are in the ulster championship - this will not really count.

McCabe wont be around forever,so if he comes back , its a bonus - plus I think he could be a bit too much of a dissenter for any new manager to try and integrate - from what I have prev heard. If he toes the line, and puts it in, then he'd be an addition to any county team.
If not, then Cavan have decent young talent that they need to focus on more so than the old guard.

Armamike

If Cavan want to use an agency to select their manager, good luck to them. Who really cares as long as they get the best man they can for the job.  It's not as if their current system has been working a treat the past 10 years.
That's just, like your opinion man.

mylestheslasher

I suppose we couldn't go any lower than we did by shafting Cassidy and appointing Mr clueless Donal Keoghan. Put on the other hand the county board have a job to do to appoint the right manager. That is one of their core responsibilities. Cavan need a big name, someone that demands respect. Is that type of guy going to apply  to a recruitment agency? I doubt it. Then, as tierworker blue says, if it all goes wrong we'll be told that the agency is to blame. This approach means that no one takes ownership of the process of appointing a manager so no one is accountable for it.

boojangles

Quote from: Armamike on August 08, 2008, 02:35:40 PM
If Cavan want to use an agency to select their manager, good luck to them. Who really cares as long as they get the best man they can for the job.  It's not as if their current system has been working a treat the past 10 years.

Exactly my feelings.If this results in Cavan winning Ulster or anything then so be it.Pete McGrath would b a good judge in my book and as Armamike said its not as if the recruitment process has worked for the past 10 years.So why not try something different?

boojangles

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 08, 2008, 05:22:49 PM
Is that type of guy going to apply  to a recruitment agency? I doubt it. Then, as tierworker blue says, if it all goes wrong we'll be told that the agency is to blame. This approach means that no one takes ownership of the process of appointing a manager so no one is accountable for it.
Thats a load of bollix Myles in fairness.Philip Smith and the County Board hav taken a decision to use Sporttracker to help them find a new Senior manager.If we get a bad Manager that wins nothing I know who You and Me and Tierworker Blue and every other Cavan man will blame and it wont b Sporttracker,it will be Philip Smith and the County Board,So dont say that they wont b accountable.They made the decision to go down this path so the buck and the blame stops with them too.
The last 10 years of recruiting Senior managers hasnt worked so why not try something new?Pete McGrath mite know a thing or 2,or even a few suitable candidates?

tierworker blue

Quote from: boojangles on August 08, 2008, 05:32:27 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 08, 2008, 05:22:49 PM
Is that type of guy going to apply  to a recruitment agency? I doubt it. Then, as tierworker blue says, if it all goes wrong we'll be told that the agency is to blame. This approach means that no one takes ownership of the process of appointing a manager so no one is accountable for it.
Thats a load of bollix Myles in fairness.Philip Smith and the County Board hav taken a decision to use Sporttracker to help them find a new Senior manager.If we get a bad Manager that wins nothing I know who You and Me and Tierworker Blue and every other Cavan man will blame and it wont b Sporttracker,it will be Philip Smith and the County Board,So dont say that they wont b accountable.They made the decision to go down this path so the buck and the blame stops with them too.
The last 10 years of recruiting Senior managers hasnt worked so why not try something new?Pete McGrath mite know a thing or 2,or even a few suitable candidates?

i think you're slightly misinterpreting the point boojangles...by my logic, we're actually all in agreement.i  totally agree with you that obviously the buck stops with the county board and that they are 100% accountable - my point is that by hiring sporttracker, the board are distancing themselves from any potential failures, thus blaming others (as usual!) and having a buffer zone to protect their own reputations (so essentially, it does'nt affect their positions whether it works out or not...in my opinion it should directly affect them when things do not work out, ie P45 for the whole lot of 'em!) Sporttracker have been hired to do a job, and they can only pick from the candidates that come forward...if this does'nt work out it will have nowt to do with them blame wise. i have nothing in the world against trying something new, and please god it works out, but i think it could've been done differently (as i've already rattled on about!)

cavanmaniac

Personally lads I think it's a moot point. County boards appoint managers year in, year out and when they don't work the manager is dispatched while the people who may have erred in appointing him, remain on to make another selection. They need neither insulation nor buffer zone, they'll just chug on regardless of what happens because necks like a jockey's whatsits is the only buffer they need.

It's all a bit embarrassing, what exactly sporttracker are going to do, that the county board couldn't do themselves, is beyond me. It seems they'll just field the applications online and pass them on to the board who'll sift through them and select their candidates for interview/ratification. They've just added a middleman with sporttracker, the overall process would appear to be the same, only this time the 'advertisement' will encourage a whole lot more people to put their names forward because it now has a raised profile.

Besides the whole X-factor auditions feel about it, I can't see it doing any harm really.

JMohan

Does it not strike people as odd having Mickey Harte picking the manager he'll be possibly competing against in Ulster next year?

Anyway from looking at the mess that is Cavan football you'd wonder who would want to take it on - even Grimbo left it after a year.

I think the only man for the job is Gerry McCarville

boojangles

I think the only man for the job is Gerry McCarville
[/quote]
Im noyt sure all Gaels men would agree with ya there.Like I think any Manager worth his salt at club level could have taken the Gaels to a 3 in a row,but a real good Manager would have won at least an Ulster Club with them.