Mayo v Monaghan, All-Ireland Minor quarter-final Saturday, August 9, 2008

Started by RedandGreenSniper, August 07, 2008, 07:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Well done to all concerned. It's great to leave the hard luck stories with the opposition for a change.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

REDCOL

Just a few thoughts on team yesterday

Robert Hennelly (Breaffy) - Great save at the end, steady as always

John Broderick (Claremorris) - Out muscled but kept trying
Kevin Keane (Westport) - On Monaghans best player, struggled at times
David Dolan (Garry) - MOM How could he not make Colmans team

Cathal Freeman (Aghamore) - Kicked two crucial scores when moved to forwards
Eoghan O'Reilly (Mitchels) - Injured early on
Shane Nally (Garry - captain) - Best game so far won a lot of kickouts

Alex Corduff (Ballina) - Big Lad, but needs to use strength more
James Cafferty (Cross) - Good going forward

Dean Gavin (Ballintubber) - Never got going today
Aidan O'Shea (Breaffy) - Wasted at FF, won a lot of ball when moved MF
David Drake (Ballagh) - Won a lot of breaks

Daniel O'Hara (Ballina) - Took goal very well
Aidan Walsh (Mitchels) - Mixed day
Ray Geraghty (Ballintubber) - Showed for ball all day, needs more scores

Overall a good win, backs were excellent hunted in packs, MF never got going until O Shea went out. Forwards were disappointing, missed easy chances with Freeman showing the way when moved forward.Definetly, a good team spirit might not be the most talented bunch but getting the most out of what they got

johnMac

Well done lads. Lifts the gloom a bit. RedCol i'm pretty sure David Dolan was on the Colmans team. Think he was playing wing back. Heard he had a stormer yesterday.
Whats the verdict on the semi-final. Any word on what Kerry are like. Sure they're middling. They produce an odd good footballer down there  ;D ;D ;D

johnMac

Quote from: johnMac on August 10, 2008, 01:06:15 PM
Well done lads. Lifts the gloom a bit. RedCol i'm pretty sure David Dolan was on the Colmans team. Think he was playing wing back. Heard he had a stormer yesterday.
Whats the verdict on the semi-final. Any word on what Kerry are like. Sure they're middling. They produce an odd good footballer down there  ;D ;D ;D

Sorry RedCol did my homework there. David Dolan was not on the Colmans team all right. Can only assume an injury was the reason here.

Barney

westmayo

Good win for the minors on Saturday alright. I presume the semi against Kerry will be on before the Cork v Kerry semi-final in croker. Thought freeman was excellent yesterday along with David Doaln and Shane Nally. But then again Freeman and Nally have been good in each of the games this year. Mayo seem to have struggled to get going in all their games this year even when they get a lead they struggle to kick on and push themselves right out ahead and wrap up the game. Great save by Hennelly near the end when there was only three between the sides, first thing he had to do all day but his awarness was still there.

Waited on and watched the Tyrone v Ross game after, hard luck to the Rossies, they threw everything they had at Tyrone. Came back well at the start of the second half to push a head, but Tyrone's strength and class showed through. They are a side who will take some stopping at this grade.

OirthearMhaigheo

Sounds like Freeman is having a great year, he seems to be one of the more consistent performers this year. The lack of scoring power seems to be the problem with this team, that might stop them going all the way. However a final appearance is there for the taking now. We won the last time we met Kerry in a minor semi,  so hopefully these boys can repeat the trick!

RedandGreenSniper

Kerry, and Barry John Walsh in particular, will take stopping I'd say. He kicked 3-3 against Offaly and last year he kicked eight points against Galway in his first year minor. Serious talent. Tommy's younger brother and apparently blessed with more footballing ability.
They've another lad playing too called Barry John Keane who is handy enough. Never heard anyone with the name Barry John before and now there's two in the one team  :o  What do they be at down there when they're not winning All-Irelands?!

Wasn't at the game on Saturday but not surprised by Cathal Freeman's good form. At the start of the year I would have said himself, Aidan O'Shea, Robert Hennelly and then possibly Nally and Kevin Keane are serious prospects for senior down the line. The longer they stay in the championship the more other lads might get the appetite for this level of football and drive on in the coming years
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

westmayo

I know this is a bit off topic on this thread, does anyone know did the Mayo minor hurlers win on Saturday evening. They were down to play Kildare in the All Ireland Minor B Championship quarter final in Castlebar. I was told at the game on Saturday that young freeman and one of the subs were lining out for the hurlers that evening as well. Some day for them, with the football going to extra time and then rush back to castlebar for anothr full championship game

<Edit>
Just to answer my own question, Mayo lost to Kildare, but Cathal Freeman scored 1-8 for Mayo only a couple of hours after the Monaghan match, some going for a lad in one afternnon