Mayo v Monaghan, All-Ireland Minor quarter-final Saturday, August 9, 2008

Started by RedandGreenSniper, August 07, 2008, 07:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Probably won't be a lot of fuss about this game but a good chance for one of these counties to return to Croke Park after senior disappointment of last week.

I've heard a lot about Tyrone this year. How far off them were Monaghan the last day?

Mayo were lucky enough to win the Connacht final against Roscommon but had to deal with the mental challenge of beating them for the second time in championship this year and nearly came unstuck. Hopefully the gap since that game and the lack of the Leaving Cert etc should help Ray Dempsey and Co.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedandGreenSniper

Mayo team picked

Robert Hennelly (Breaffy)

John Broderick (Claremorris)
Kevin Keane (Westport)
David Dolan (Garry)

Cathal Freeman (Aghamore)
Eoghan O'Reilly (Mitchels)
Shane Nally (Garry - captain)

Alex Corduff (Ballina)
James Cafferty (Cross)

Dean Gavin (Ballintubber)
Aidan O'Shea (Breaffy)
David Drake (Ballagh)

Daniel O'Hara (Ballina)
Aidan Walsh (Mitchels)
Ray Geraghty (Ballintubber)

Two changes, John Broderick in for Shane McHale and Dean Gavin in for Ultan Crowe
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

dodo

Good move in dropping Dempsey's clubmate McHale as has been very shaky in last few games and being substituted. Don't know much about Broderick his replacement. Gavin and Crowe seem to start for each other every second game, the bit of Gavin I saw I liked, a strongly built lad with a good hard working attitude. Maybe the like of footballer that could be moulded into an effective senior that would do a job for you.
I noticed in the Connacht final that the Roscommon team were set up a lot more tightly than Mayo who seemed to play a little too much off the cuff. Roscommon played to their strengths and pushed Mayo all the way, Aidan O'Shea in the end being the difference. This after Mayo beating Roscommon a month earlier a lot more convincingly. This is what would worry me, a more talented Mayo team making harder work in beating other teams than they should. Or even worse, losing games they should not. If Roscommon had beat Mayo it would have been sickening, they were damn close to doing it as well. I only hope that this Mayo team do themselves justice as there are some very good footballers on it, the further they go in the championship the more likely these lads will take their football seriously in subsequent years.
Unfortunately due to a family occasion will not be able to make this today but best of luck to the lads.
Maigh eo abĂș !

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers

mayo51

extra time  mayo 1.12  monaghan 0.09  mayo scored goal with last kick of the game.good win for mayo as they had to come   from  behind in normal time to tie the game and lost  oreilly and keane thro injury in the second half.

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers