1/4 Final predictions

Started by The Real Laoislad, August 04, 2008, 10:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

Those of you who have gone for armagh may like to revise your call in the light of paddy russell being appointed to officiate....

his holiness nb

Quote from: Uladh on August 05, 2008, 04:35:41 PM

Those of you who have gone for armagh may like to revise your call in the light of paddy russell being appointed to officiate....

Here we go, making excuses already. Why not write off Tyrone totally too, sure dont the refs always favour us  :D
Ask me holy bollix

Hound

Quote from: Uladh on August 05, 2008, 04:35:41 PM

Remember to put your toe under the ball lads.

Legend though he is, the slagging Peter the Great still gets from Tyrone lads on here for that mistake over a decade ago is unreal....

Lucius Fox

Tyrone - Dublin - Draw
Kerry - Galway - Kerry
Armagh - Wexford - Armagh
Cork - Kildare - Cork

kumquat

Quote from: full back on August 05, 2008, 01:19:32 PM
14:00  Armagh v Wexford  
2 - 5 
15 - 2 
5 - 2 

16:00  Kerry v Galway  
3 - 10 
9 - 1 
3 - 1 

10th Aug 2008
14:00  Cork v Kildare  
1 - 4 
9 - 1 
7 - 2 

16th Aug 2008
14:00  Dublin v Tyrone  
8 - 15 
15 - 2 
15 - 8 

£5 stake on wexford, galway, kildare & tyrone  returns £905.62  ;D

is it worth a fiver?
Buy us a pint then Boselecta!!!

mylestheslasher

Tyrone v Dublin
Cork v Kildare
Armagh v Wexford
Galway v Kerry

AZOffaly

2 out of 4 last week I think. The Special Ks were good to me, while Mayo and Down let me, em, down.

so, Quarter Finals

Tyrone v Dublin. The extra week will help Tyrone, and Dublin have been left idle for quite a while. The fact that the Dubs cruised through Leinster means two things, either they are brilliant, or the rest of Leinster is very poor. Drawing a formline through Westmeath is dangerous, especially since Westmeath's performance against Tyrone has an asterix after it with the two sendings off, however the manner Tyrone dealt with them had parallels with the Dubs. I think this one will be very close, but if Whelan and Ryan can give them a platform in midfield, I'll take the Dubs to win by 3 points.

Kildare v Cork. I'm going to go for a surprise here. The Fermanagh Kildare game was the worst in my memory for shooting, especially in the first half. At times I had to remind myself this was senior inter county football as ball after ball dropped short, harmlessly wide, or was kicked from green jersey to white and back again. However, it was a game in Croker, and Kildare improved in the second half. As per Dinny's preaching, they do seem to have a couple of other forwards who at least can win ball in front, to help Johnny Doyle out. I'm unconvinced by Cork. I think they have a good midfield, but one that can be beaten, and Michael Cussen is hot and cold. I think Cork will need Masters to play and score for them to win, and I just think the more battle hardened Kildare might pull off an upset here. Sorry Dinny.

Kerry v Galway. This should be an entertaining game, and a bit loose. Both teams will try and feed their inside lines, Galway probably using Padraig Joyce as a conduit, while Kerry will go more directly. Galway have good forwards, like Kerry, and Galway's backs are not exactly mugs, while Kerry's were loose enough against admittedly good forwards in Tommy Freeman and co. However, I think Aidan O'Mahoney will do a job on Joyce, and Marc O'Sé will pick up Michael Meehan, making Galway really work for their scores. I fancy a physically improved DEclan O'Sullivan and co to win a lot of breaks around midfield, and Tommy Walsh and Donaghy to win enough ball in the air to see the Kingdom home by 4 points.

Armagh v Wexford. I'm a bit unsure about this one. Armagh's forward line of McDonnell, Clarke and Stephen Kernan, probably, will enjoy the open spaces around Croker, but equally the Wexford forwards will fancy themselves in pulling Armagh around a bit at the back. Paddy Russell may well be a factor in this game, but I think for Wexford the season has been a success, whereas for Armagh it will only be a success if they get to an All Ireland final. I expect the Orchard to use that extra bit of drive to kick on and win by 5 points.

Dinny Breen

Quoteand I just think the more battle hardened Kildare might pull off an upset here

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good analysis of the games as ususal, can understand why people are going for Cork but they didn't set the world alight in the league, were lucky to beat Limerick, a team Kildare out fought and out performed, we still don't know if Kerry imploded in the Munster final, Cork were dire in the 1st half there and their last time in Croker they got absolutely tanked. They're the reasons to give me hope.....

I have to pay bloody 90 euro for two tickets on Sunday, imagine the whinging from the Dubs if they had to pay that price   :P
#newbridgeornowhere

western exile

Kildare have surprised me every round and won when I had tipped their opponents!  So here is going for 4 in a row............

Cork
Kerry
Wexford
Dublin

If correct, this would lead to a Munster v. Leinster final 

Sandy Hill

QuoteArmagh v Wexford. I'm a bit unsure about this one. Armagh's forward line of McDonnell, Clarke and Stephen Kernan, probably, will enjoy the open spaces around Croker, but equally the Wexford forwards will fancy themselves in pulling Armagh around a bit at the back. Paddy Russell may well be a factor in this game, but I think for Wexford the season has been a success, whereas for Armagh it will only be a success if they get to an All Ireland final. I expect the Orchard to use that extra bit of drive to kick on and win by 5 points.

Surely there is something wrong when a team, in this case Armagh, has to worry about who the referee is; all should be consistent and impartial with all teams?

My predictions
Dublin V Tyrone - Draw with Tyrone winning the replay
Armagh
Cork
Kerry.
"Stercus accidit"

AZOffaly

I didn't mean to imply that Paddy would be biased against anyone. But what is undeniable is that each referee has his own 'style' of refereeing, and Paddy's style seems to clash with Armagh, and other teams as well, whenever he referees them.

I'm not suggesting anything sinister at all.

Rossfan

Cork/Galway/Tyrone and Armagh. :)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Sandy Hill

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 06, 2008, 12:36:29 PM
I didn't mean to imply that Paddy would be biased against anyone. But what is undeniable is that each referee has his own 'style' of refereeing, and Paddy's style seems to clash with Armagh, and other teams as well, whenever he referees them.

I'm not suggesting anything sinister at all.

I know you're not, AZ, but it is a fact that if certain refs are appointed to a game, eg Mr Russell, Kinneavey etc., we tend to sh*t ourselves. I remember the night before the 03 AIF, many were concerned about how a certain Mr Whyte would influence the game.  >:(
"Stercus accidit"

magpie seanie

Tyrone v Dublin
Cork v Kildare
Armagh v Wexford
Galway v Kerry

Our Nail Loney