South Belfast North of Ireland Supporters Club

Started by T Fearon, August 04, 2008, 09:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: nifan on August 04, 2008, 12:34:26 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on August 04, 2008, 12:31:16 PM
Quote from: nifan on August 04, 2008, 10:45:38 AM
The fact that they may/may not fly a tricolour if NI was to play the ROI doesnt make you right tony.

You said it was for the 12th - it wasnt.

it also makes your first post wrong...

Well we dont know if they fly it or not. So i may or may not be wrong in that it may not fly this flag when the event occurs.
However the point stands that the scotland flag is being flown due to them being our next opponent, not as some sort of 12th festivities as was suggested.

I think you get the point i was making even if there is an attempt to guess what they might so ongoing

In fairness nifan, I pass through Shaftesbury square every day heading to work, and can honestly say that I never see any other flags flying outside the SBENISC, bar the ones already mentioned, will be keeping an eye out to see if other nations flags are put up in the future.
Tbc....

T Fearon

I had never seen any flags outside this establishment before and assumed therefore, quite logically, that these three flags, which are widely used as loyalist iconic emblems, had been erected to celebrate and commemorate the sectarian 12th of July.

nifan

nifan

There was comments in the past when they flew this as one of a few flags to represent germany
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/myfootball/kflag.jpg

With some people mistaking it for a nazi flag.

donalmac99

Quote from: Rossfan on August 04, 2008, 02:15:15 PM
Quote from: donalmac99 on August 04, 2008, 11:10:46 AM
[
how dare a football supporters club fly the flag of the country it claims to represent, the flag of the nation it claims to be part off and the flag of its next opponents.

A flag which represents 55% of the population of the part of Ireland it represents.
I dont think the term "nation" can be applied to the political grouping of England/Scotland/Wales/NE Ireland - dont know if I of Man and Channel Islands also come into this group.

whatever, but you get my point
that they have their flags there for footballing reasons and not political as tony suggested.

T Fearon

If they are for footballing reasons, why are they used to alienate 45% of the population? Also why does OWC/IFA then try to insult our intelligence by feigning interest in Football for All?

Donagh

As a frequent visitor to the South Belfast NI Club I can confirm that these flags were indeed placed there for the local loyalist festivities and attempts by nifan and Donal to deny this are very disingenuous.

donalmac99

Quote from: T Fearon on August 04, 2008, 03:54:13 PM
If they are for footballing reasons, why are they used to alienate 45% of the population? Also why does OWC/IFA then try to insult our intelligence by feigning interest in Football for All?

maybe you need to ask them that ,however  the simple fact is that they identify with it with regard to football even if we dont.  You stated that the flags were there as part of the july 12th celebrations ( eventhough its august.  )You were wrong and yet again made yourself look bitter and twisted.  

nifan

Donagh - the flags are always there for games, and im pretty sure int he run up to them.
If i am incorrect that they are always there then I apologise.
I am not a frequent visitor.

The flag of countries we are playing is there beside the ni flag - which explains scotlands in this case

As a frequent visitor you could confirm the case of the flags of the country we are playing.

nifan

PS if they where put up for the 12th it has nothing to do with FFA anyway.
The club is a private organisation as far as I am concerned.

TacadoirArdMhacha

NI supporters clubs sponsor posters put up for 12th celebrations which is probably a more blatant example of what is being referred to. Can't see the need for the Union Jack but South Belfast NISC do usually fly the flag of the next team they are playing
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Hurler on the Bitch

From a purely business perspective, Surely, if they changed took the flags down .. and just left it as the NISC etc.. well, given their position in Great Victoria Street, they would make a feckin fortune from passing trade?

donalmac99

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on August 04, 2008, 10:52:56 PM
From a purely business perspective, Surely, if they changed took the flags down .. and just left it as the NISC etc.. well, given their position in Great Victoria Street, they would make a feckin fortune from passing trade?

theyd make a fortune if they converted it simply into a public house and dropped the NISC nonsense tbh. Its in a great location.

nifan

Is making money the be all and end all?
They must be making enough to stay open and turn a living so the may be happy enough to remain an nisc.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: nifan on August 05, 2008, 10:33:29 AM
Is making money the be all and end all?
They must be making enough to stay open and turn a living so the may be happy enough to remain an nisc.

I know there's another one on the Shankill rd, would there be many others nifan?
Tbc....