Corcaigh v Cill Dara

Started by Dinny Breen, August 03, 2008, 09:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slapdash

Quote from: Uladh on August 07, 2008, 04:05:08 PM

I believe McCluskey is a problem for Fermanagh and O'Rourke may need to push him back into the corner or play him wing forward next year. So much ball goes through his hands but he's so concerned with keeping possession he simply solos (sideways) or fist passes. this is starving the forwards of early ball in space. if he would (or maybe he can't?) kick pass the ball you'd have fermanagh forwards collecting ball closer to goal and in more space. depending on the quality of the kicking they might even collect the ball within the scoring zone as Clarke and mcdonnell do for armagh

Exactly.  Most people I talk to read far too much into 'ball retention.'  Kieran McGeeney made a living out of driving 60 yard diagonal balls that were far from being 100% balls, but it is a far more effective way of playing IMO.  The effects of excessive ball retention, in defence, further up the field is not tangible, and thus people tend to overlook the consequent problems that arise and cite how effective a player is at keeping possession

Slapdash

Oops, sorry hijacked this thread to talk about Fermanagh, didn't notice it was about the Cork game!

Uladh

The fella (moyna?) who runs dcu regularly does lectures and presentations lauding the fist pass. he presents passages of play and statistics illustrating how much better the ball is retained this way and how often the ball is lost through kick passing. only someone who does not completlely understand the game can't see how this is bollox if you actually want to create scoring opportunities

Slapdash

Yes Moyna is the name, Des or Niall as I recall.  Fermanagh could do a presentation on how underhit point attempts lead to fisted goals, it doesn't mean we should all be trying it though!  Seriously though, it is suggestions like this that baffle me.  There are too many percentages and statistics thrown up to support things that one cannot really understand without an appreciation for the game.  Maybe that accounts for DCU's 1 Sigerson title despite having the best squad of players for a number of years running now.  If someone like Micko had them I doubt he would need the presentations, and I would doubt he would only have 1 Sigerson.

Dinny Breen

Great analysis AZ but don't be given Kildare credit, according to every lazy pundit out there we're the worst team ever to make it to the quarter-finals  :o
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

I looked at the second half last night. Kildare had much more ball in the second half, Fermanagh actually only had 6 shots that went wide or over the bar. 3 of those 6 were frees, and amazingly enough, not one of Fermanagh's shots over the entire 70 minutes was taken from inside the lines of the large square, if you know what I mean. Fermanagh were more efficient in the second half with those 6 shots, scoring 3 of them, but their only scores from play were scored by 2 substitutes. Mark Little finally kicked a free near the end as well.

I'll be watching with interest this weekend. If Kildare can make Cork kick like that, they'll have a right rattle at it.

Tatler Jack

This is a much more 50/50 game than most of the media think. Most of this Cork team have been around for a while and though workmanlike they are not very creative - not helped by the fact that most of the players are very poor at kicking the ball. A lot has been made of the second half performace v Kerry but really that was a once off when Cork gave it an old fashioned lash, got on top at midfield,  drove the ball in to Cussen and everything seemed to work, Not sure it would work so well again and really Kerry were poor in that second half.

If you look back to last year Cork were dreadful v Sligo, middling v Meath and terrible in the AI. They were bad v Limerick and at their worst in the first half of the MF. So form suggests that they are beatable and the second half MF was the exception rather than the rule. If Kildare keep this game close with 15 mins to go then I think they will win. However if Cork start well, get on top at midfield and put early scores on the board then I would fancy Cork.

comethekingdom

Kildare terrrible in 1st half - McGeeney has made some substitutions early which has some way to alleviate their problems but its hard to see anything other than a convincing Cork win.

Our Nail Loney

Ah thats why I didnt find the thread, I searched in bearla!!

Kildare are very poor starters, commentator saying they came out early there and had a huddle with Earley laying down the law in the middle.

Brilliant point there for cork to start the half, o neill was it??

Our Nail Loney

Can our top players not hit penalties anymore! Do they practice?

INDIANA

cork have a lot of scoring options and hence they are winning the game. as i've said in other threads thats what seperates the top teams fromthe rest.

dodo

Wojous penalty, never looked like scoring it with his demeanour. Smith is the only threat up front for Kildare. Johnny Doyle being marked out of the game. Very surprised he declined the penalty, tells you a bit about how he sees things going for himself presently.

dodo

Go on Johnny and take it.....fair play   SCORED

MaroonAndWhite

It would have been well good enough for Cork if Kildare snuck it in the last minute

Our Nail Loney

Why did cork take off their full back who was doing so well?? Arrogance, would have loved it if kildare got a goal there at the death.