Corcaigh v Cill Dara

Started by Dinny Breen, August 03, 2008, 09:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodo

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on August 10, 2008, 03:48:09 PM
Why did cork take off their full back who was doing so well?? Arrogance, would have loved it if kildare got a goal there at the death.

Derek Kavanagh had been booked earlier and then had been turned very easily for a point by Smith I think. Next time he could resort to pulling him down and ended up on the line without the option of a sub to replace him !

Rav67

Fair play to Kildare for making it interesting at the end, but they just don't have the quality.  The fella McLochlainn at corner-back is a real terrier though and never gives an inch, one of the best in that position in the Championship this season.

Dinny Breen

Very proud of what people forget is a very young Kildare side, never gave up and played till the death and augers well for the future.

O'Neill, Cussen and Lynch were exceptional for Cork but they don't have the same quality up front as Kerry but have a better defence will be an interesting semi-final. They were very worthy winners today, 4 games in four weeks showed today for Kildare, we were very leaden at the start and gave up two soft goals. Another missed penalty and couldn't get a stanglehold on midfield but we did have a lot of possession but not enough in dangerous areas. Conway was the catalyst for a lot of our good play today and Smith as I am sick of saying is a quality player who can only get better.

Next year will be interesting, looking forward to it.
#newbridgeornowhere

orangeman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 10, 2008, 08:21:03 PM
Very proud of what people forget is a very young Kildare side, never gave up and played till the death and augers well for the future.

O'Neill, Cussen and Lynch were exceptional for Cork but they don't have the same quality up front as Kerry but have a better defence will be an interesting semi-final. They were very worthy winners today, 4 games in four weeks showed today for Kildare, we were very leaden at the start and gave up two soft goals. Another missed penalty and couldn't get a stanglehold on midfield but we did have a lot of possession but not enough in dangerous areas. Conway was the catalyst for a lot of our good play today and Smith as I am sick of saying is a quality player who can only get better.

Next year will be interesting, looking forward to it.

Best player on the park for Kildare by a mile !!

John Maughan was on the radio saying that Dermot Earley was MOM - Not in my book - I think I'm starting to agree with Ross !

INDIANA

reasonable game,but the decision making of kildare at times killed them. Got to be brutally honest Cork will be facing a Kerry team looking to avenge the Munster final debacle.i fear for Cork, especially the way they capitualted in the last 20 against Kildare who are a limited outfit.

Dinny Breen

Quoteespecially the way they capitualted in the last 20 against Kildare who are a limited outfit.

Of course Cork captiulated nothing to do with Kildare finishing strong as they have in their last three games ::)
#newbridgeornowhere

Rossfan

I see another poster has lost his high opinion of the tanned one  ;D

Dinny - a brave effort by ye're lads who kept plugging away to end up losing by 3 points when it looked as if it might be 30 at one  stage.
A missed penalty, a square ball goal for Cprk and a possible penalty denied at the death - ye could even have won it  :o
By the way does 4 substitutions in the early stages suggest a manager picking the wrong team ?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

INDIANA

hard to know Dinny, fair play to you for salvaging the season but i don't enjoy watching Kildare, genunely no offence. Smith is really good but you need another 3 forwards like him bar Doyle obviously. Its hard to know with Cork, but i'd fancy Kerry to beat them.

Dinny Breen

QuoteDinny - a brave effort by ye're lads who kept plugging away to end up losing by 3 points when it looked as if it might be 30 at one  stage.
A missed penalty, a square ball goal for Cprk and a possible penalty denied at the death - ye could even have won it  Shocked
By the way does 4 substitutions in the early stages suggest a manager picking the wrong team ?

Was it a square ball? Haven't watched the game yet. It was our fourth game in a row, you don't know how your players will react, the four he took off all looked off the pace and it was the right call, he didn't make changes against Wicklow and suffered heavy criticism so he's learning and it has been a quick learning curve.  

In a way it's good to get to the quarter-final apart from Doyle and Earley that was the biggest game for those players in the senior ranks and playing in front of 71K will be a great experience for them. A quarter-final at this stage in their development is just about the top end of their potential spectrum, a semi final against Kerry in which we would have suffered a heavy defeat, Kerry are just ruthless, could have set us back. It's been a good year for a lot of our footballer, an All-Ireland senior quarter final and an All-Ireland u21 final. Hoepfully the Dubs will win the All-Ireland and open up Leinster next year. Just looking forward to the club championship now.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quotehard to know Dinny, fair play to you for salvaging the season but i don't enjoy watching Kildare, genunely no offence. Smith is really good but you need another 3 forwards like him bar Doyle obviously. Its hard to know with Cork, but i'd fancy Kerry to beat them.

Not offended, it was about winning for us this year, we are abandoning the hand passing game for a quicker delivery but that is a work in progress so when under pressure our players revert to type the mix-match then results in poor passes from foot and hand but we're getting there. Kavanagh is a great possession footballer and will get scores, Conway can be a star and with Doyle and Smith I think we can get scores up front and watch out for a young lad named Keith Cribben,
bags of potential.

Having seen Kerry last week and Cork this week, they are two big physical sides, Cork will be the better for today's game, can see it been decided by goals not putting money on it yet though
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

There is a serious lack of pace and cuteness in that Kildare forward line with the exception of Doyle & Smith. Fennin is badly missed. The rest of the forwards look to me like a classic case of picking a load of club midfielders and hoping they'll do a job. Smith should be there for years to come and is a real natural forward. Anyone else likely to make it from this years u-21 team? I'm presuming Chalky White will be centre-back next year. Maybe bring Foley into the middle?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

Eoin O'Flaherty and Gavin Smullen are 2 fowards who should come through, likewise Declan Brennan in defence who was injured for the senior campign and Waters and Higgins are both 6'4 plus midfielders.

Foley is our best centre-half back, wouldn't move him personally, first time he's been fit in two years.
#newbridgeornowhere

imtommygunn

Where were Graham Canty and Nicholas Murphy? Didn't notice them playing today.

Zulu

They were both injured and this should be remembered when considering Corks chances against Kerry.

The Voice Of Reason

I think Cork will be a serious test for Kerry. A lot of games are decided between numbers 5-12 and who wins most possession. Cork have serious ball winning ability in these departments, and I think they've a chance to squeese Kerry out here ... still though you'd have to fancy Kerry given their coolness under pressure and serious firepower up front