Mayo Season Review 2008 - O'Mahony Confirmed for Another Year

Started by Barney, August 03, 2008, 07:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Tubberman on August 14, 2008, 08:54:41 AM
It is very interesting indeed to note the body language when you read what Johnno had to say about his possible third year at the helm and also what Sean Feeney had to say in reply.
First, O'Mahony says something like. "My future is not up to me; it is the call of the county board to either back me or sack me. If it has no confidence in me, I will walk away."
Not one word of enthusiasm for the task in hand and not a dicky about plans for the future either. Does he feel another year under him will be better or worse for the state of Mayo football? We probably will never know as he isn't about to tell us.

What Feeney really said in reply was:
"We won't break our side of the agreement. He's there and if the f**ker wants to stay on he can do so. It's his decision one way or the other. Probably he can't do any worse than he's been doing fore the last two years and anyway we're getting quite a bad reputation for kicking managers out; however, if he can take a hint, he should do so"
Who will make the next move?

No Lar, that's not really what either of them said. You've made up a story there, we can all do that if we want. You've just taken a quote from a newspaper/website and decided that it really meant something else.

Okay then; here are the quotes attributed to O'Mahony and to Sean Feeney. Both appeared in the Mayo News and both are being taken directly from Hoganstand.com
To date, neither party appears to have contradicted what has been attributed to them.

John O'Mahony first:
"You might have a three-year term the way the GAA works, but I have never stayed in any job where I wasn't wanted. I am willing to live by my commitment, but obviously I have to sit down with the county board and see what they want. I'll see how the dust settles. That will be down to other people as well. It won't be my decision, it never is," said O'Mahony.

Now I see that as a plain statement of fact; no more and no less. If the board doesn't want him, he won't be staying in the job. He gave a commitment to Mayo football and he is willing to live by his commitment, unless he is asked to leave
John O'Mahony and the county board agreed to a three year term.
Why then should the manager declare his hand so publicly before meeting with the county board for an interim review?
After all, he has left no room for compromise; agreed?

How did Sean Feeney react to this?
Remember Sean would have had the opportunity to study what John has had to say before issuing his reply.
"John was appointed for three years with a review and we are happy to see that through," said Feeney.
"That was the agreement and there's no move against John. He's there and if he wants the job it's his."

Now, Sean appears to be saying that the board will also honour its commitment but if John wants to pull out the decision is his. There is no ringing endorsement of John's work to date or a plea for him to continue the good work. He said the bare minimum required and then passed the onus back on O'Mahony.  Remember he has had ample time to consider what the manager said but he only gave a conditional yes to him continuing on.
Both parties issued terse statements. Both said they would honour their respective agreements and each said the question of the manager carrying out his full term was up to the other.
Am I reading too much into this?
I infer from the respective statements that there is a degree of strain between both sides in the matter.
For the record, I have stated in previous posts that I think John O'Mahony should not be replaced and that any decision on the matter was for him to make.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 14, 2008, 07:39:51 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 14, 2008, 08:54:41 AM
It is very interesting indeed to note the body language when you read what Johnno had to say about his possible third year at the helm and also what Sean Feeney had to say in reply.
First, O’Mahony says something like. “My future is not up to me; it is the call of the county board to either back me or sack me. If it has no confidence in me, I will walk away.”
Not one word of enthusiasm for the task in hand and not a dicky about plans for the future either. Does he feel another year under him will be better or worse for the state of Mayo football? We probably will never know as he isn’t about to tell us.

What Feeney really said in reply was:
“We won’t break our side of the agreement. He's there and if the f**ker wants to stay on he can do so. It’s his decision one way or the other. Probably he can’t do any worse than he’s been doing fore the last two years and anyway we’re getting quite a bad reputation for kicking managers out; however, if he can take a hint, he should do so”
Who will make the next move?

No Lar, that's not really what either of them said. You've made up a story there, we can all do that if we want. You've just taken a quote from a newspaper/website and decided that it really meant something else.

Okay then; here are the quotes attributed to O’Mahony and to Sean Feeney. Both appeared in the Mayo News and both are being taken directly from Hoganstand.com
To date, neither party appears to have contradicted what has been attributed to them.

John O’Mahony first:
"You might have a three-year term the way the GAA works, but I have never stayed in any job where I wasn’t wanted. I am willing to live by my commitment, but obviously I have to sit down with the county board and see what they want. I’ll see how the dust settles. That will be down to other people as well. It won’t be my decision, it never is," said O’Mahony.

Now I see that as a plain statement of fact; no more and no less. If the board doesn’t want him, he won’t be staying in the job. He gave a commitment to Mayo football and he is willing to live by his commitment, unless he is asked to leave
John O’Mahony and the county board agreed to a three year term.
Why then should the manager declare his hand so publicly before meeting with the county board for an interim review?
After all, he has left no room for compromise; agreed?

How did Sean Feeney react to this?
Remember Sean would have had the opportunity to study what John has had to say before issuing his reply.
"John was appointed for three years with a review and we are happy to see that through," said Feeney.
"That was the agreement and there’s no move against John. He’s there and if he wants the job it’s his."

Now, Sean appears to be saying that the board will also honour its commitment but if John wants to pull out the decision is his. There is no ringing endorsement of John’s work to date or a plea for him to continue the good work. He said the bare minimum required and then passed the onus back on O’Mahony.  Remember he has had ample time to consider what the manager said but he only gave a conditional yes to him continuing on.
Both parties issued terse statements. Both said they would honour their respective agreements and each said the question of the manager carrying out his full term was up to the other.
I infer from the respective statements that there is a degree of strain between both sides in the matter.
For the record, I have stated in previous posts that I think John O’Mahony should not be replaced and that any decision on the matter was for him to make.

I think it may be a case of cold feet from JOM, kinda half looking for a way out but not stupid enough to resign himself. He was hoping he might force a move out of the county board in my opinion.
It was a underhand shot at the county board in my opinion. Feeney saw this for what it was and just played a straight bat on it. No ringing endorsement, just telling JOM and the county that the agreement will continue as specified.
I've said all summer that as long as the season continues we should see how things work out before getting too hot under the collar.
Now with the season out of the way I have to admit I'm cautiously optimistic enough about next year. I just hope the manager is enthusiastic. He should be because his legacy is at stake here.

Good things we have at the minute
- a top class goalkeeper
- pacey, running backs (Keith Higgins, Tom Cunniffe, Peadar Gardiner, Chris Barrett)
- tough tackling defenders (Trevor Howley, Aidan Higgins)
- Experienced defenders but will they wait? (Jimmy Nallen and David Heaney)
- Two very capable midfielders in Parsons and McGarrity but we need an improvement from the latter or else we need to look at Seamus O'Shea
- a top class half-forward line in Dillon, Harte and Trevor Mort
- a very good corner-forward in Conor Mortimer
- Some very good options in a range of positions such as Andy Moran, Billy Padden, Barry Moran

So what we need
- a strong, pacey and purposeful full-back
- another scoring inside forward
- a 'go to' man at full-forward
- a bit more combatitiveness in our running backs and our midfielders

Of the assets we have at the minute JOM can't say that he unearthed someone from nowhere (this doesn't happen too often anyhow) but he can take an element of credit for paving the way through for Howley, Cunniffe, Barrett, Parsons and the formation of the half-forward line.

He hasn't found the answer at full-back and full-forward but at least we have what looks like a settled enough team from 5-12 if injuries aren't a factor. That's something we didn't have post 2007 so that has to be marked down as progress. But in 2009 Ger Cafferkey HAS to be given an extended run in the league. Sink or swim.
Give Barry Moran another go at full-forward. I'm afraid the Austie option looks dead in the water much as I'd love to say otherwise.

The straightforward formation of the team out of the way probably the most disappointing aspect of the defeats this year was the lack of intelligence in players on the ball, the lack of a game flexible game plan suited to the needs of the way the game can change over 70 minutes. At times we look fierce naive. Its something you would hope that JOM might be able to influence but that hasn't looked the case so far. Time will tell if that changes.

We haven't 'cute hoors' of players that look like they know how to close out a game. I know some of that comes from experience but you have to start somewhere and managerial and coaching influence plays a big role. At the minute we are the same oul Mayo - have to be four or five points a better team to actually win a game.

And one last point, if Conor Mortimer does nothing else this winter than practice and practice taking goal chances when they present themselves, then it won't be a wasted winter.

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Barney

Unless there is a seachange in attitude from players and management next year will be the same old story.

The first thing that should be done is ask Peter Forde to come in to coach the backs.

Looking at the Tyrone game it is embarassing the lack of effort there on the part of so many players. A million miles from where they should be. Its time for some to shape up or be shipped out.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 15, 2008, 07:42:23 AM

I think it may be a case of cold feet from JOM, kinda half looking for a way out but not stupid enough to resign himself. He was hoping he might force a move out of the county board in my opinion.
It was a underhand shot at the county board in my opinion. Feeney saw this for what it was and just played a straight bat on it. No ringing

[/quote]

He is good at those allright
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

rosnarun

Quote from: Barney on August 15, 2008, 08:44:01 AM
Unless there is a seachange in attitude from players and management next year will be the same old story.

The first thing that should be done is ask Peter Forde to come in to coach the backs.

Looking at the Tyrone game it is embarassing the lack of effort there on the part of so many players. A million miles from where they should be. Its time for some to shape up or be shipped out.
so which player that trained all winter not to mention dedicate most of the last few years didn't bother to try against Tyrone?. you can't make a  statement like that gaint the members of the team with out names . Name names Just to protect the innocent
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Davitt Man

Quote from: rosnarun on August 15, 2008, 10:17:38 AM

so which player that trained all winter not to mention dedicate most of the last few years didn't bother to try against Tyrone?. you can't make a  statement like that gaint the members of the team with out names . Name names Just to protect the innocent

Need to find a reliable freetaker off the ground and to take 45s, its embarrasing a county team doesnt have a quality freetaker off the floor, look at galway and kerry last week sheehan stuck 5 frees and meehan the same including a massive 45 from his wrong side. A good free taker is a serious weapon

Lar Naparka

QuoteI think it may be a case of cold feet from JOM, kinda half looking for a way out but not stupid enough to resign himself. He was hoping he might force a move out of the county board in my opinion.
It was a underhand shot at the county board in my opinion. Feeney saw this for what it was and just played a straight bat on it. No ringing endorsement, just telling JOM and the county that the agreement will continue as specified.

For me R&GS has summed it all up there -and with a lot less bullshit than I can use myself!
I don't intend to follow this line any further but to finish up I'd say Feeney has proven to be the shrewder by far of the pair of them.
I agree that he played a straight bat. This was after having time to study JOM's statement.
In effect he said: The board will not move against the manager. We will honour our commitments. The job is still his if he wants it- and the decision to go or to stay is up to him to make.
As Iolar, and now R&GS said, there was no ringing endorsement there, not by a long shot! There was definitely no plea to continue on with the good work.

I just hope the manager is enthusiastic. He should be because his legacy is at stake here.
I cannot agree more.
I believe that he is sincerely trying to do his best for Mayo football.
He would also like to end his managerial career with an All Ireland success for his native county; that would be the icing on his personal cake for him. I sure hope he succeeds.
There is another legacy that he would like to protect and entitled to worry about.
His Dail seat would be a lot more secure if he can finish up his management stint on a fairly high note.
Now why would an experienced politician and football manager who is referring to a meeting to discuss his managerial future, come out with the following?
".....but I have never stayed in any job where I wasn't wanted. I am willing to live by my commitment, but obviously I have to sit down with the county board and see what they want  . .......It won't be my decision, it never is,....."

Is that not putting it up the county board? An underhand shot as DR put it.
He is certainly expecting a barney when they meet up. (No; not OUR Barney!) ;D

But I too am cautiously optimistic about the future.
There are lot of good young players about and we have had several good sides at u21 level, with one going all the way. Good players don't become bad players overnight and, if JOM stays aboard, he will be entering a third straight year of working with them and I'd expect a bit more concentration form him in his last attempt to establish that legacy.
BTW: Barney, I like Peter Ford but I can't see him being asked in. That would be a reflection on the manager's ability.

MacDanger

Quote from: Davitt Man on August 15, 2008, 11:20:12 AM
Need to find a reliable freetaker off the ground and to take 45s, its embarrasing a county team doesnt have a quality freetaker off the floor, look at galway and kerry last week sheehan stuck 5 frees and meehan the same including a massive 45 from his wrong side. A good free taker is a serious weapon

Good point, we badly need a top quality free taker so that when we get a free within the 45m line it's more or less a guaranteed point; we haven't had this since Maurice Sheridan.

Actually only Kerry have a really reliable free taker at the moment, all the others have a tendency to have off days.

MaroonAndWhite

Well whatever the fcuk ye do, don't let him next nor near the forwards ;)

the Deel Rover

Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on August 15, 2008, 04:36:52 PM

:D :D :D :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: MacDanger on August 15, 2008, 03:26:20 PM
Quote from: Davitt Man on August 15, 2008, 11:20:12 AM

Good point, we badly need a top quality free taker so that when we get a free within the 45m line it's more or less a guaranteed point; we haven't had this since Maurice Sheridan.

Actually only Kerry have a really reliable free taker at the moment, all the others have a tendency to have off days.
Sheehan has been well known to have the odd off day!  Trying not to be biased here but I would put himself and Meehan on a par.  I dont think its any coincidence either that both tend to take their kicks off the ground. 

Rossfan

Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on August 15, 2008, 04:36:52 PM

There's another proud Mayo ex Manager doing nothing important at the moment  ::)

I dont count talking sh1te on Radio as being important. :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

spectator

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 15, 2008, 07:42:23 AM
He should be because his legacy is at stake here.

That's being overly dramatic, imo. At the latter end of a 25 year span managing IC teams at various levels, Johnno's legacy is well formed at this stage. A late failure to make Mayo competitive in the All-Ireland race, at a time when they're in transition, will be further mitigated when considering his time consuming political responsibilities, imo.

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 14, 2008, 07:39:51 PM
"You might have a three-year term the way the GAA works, but I have never stayed in any job where I wasn't wanted. I am willing to live by my commitment, but obviously I have to sit down with the county board and see what they want. I'll see how the dust settles. That will be down to other people as well. It won't be my decision, it never is," said O'Mahony.

Now I see that as a plain statement of fact; no more and no less. If the board doesn't want him, he won't be staying in the job. He gave a commitment to Mayo football and he is willing to live by his commitment, unless he is asked to leave

No, it looks like a plain statement of fact to me also & unstantiated speculation about the other people aside, all appears not to be rosey in garden Mayo.

In the opinion of the Mayo posters here, is Mayo County Board split along political lines at this stage? On the law of averages, there's bound to be one or two discontented FF'ers who aren't too happy with the way 'things' panned out. ???

Lar Naparka

Hi Spectator, good post there.
I have not heard any indication that there might be a political split amongst the board members. I have a few Mayo-based sources that tended to be reliable in the past but nobody has mentioned hearing of any sort of split.
With regard to O’Mahony’s legacy, there are a few unique factors that set him apart from other successful managers.
For one thing, he won All Irelands alright but not with his own county.
If anything I’d imagine it puts him under even more pressure in Mayo to deliver the goods for his own people. There are no political votes to be gained in Galway or in Leitrim either; there are plenty at stake in Mayo and he will need every one he can get to make his Dail seat secure. Besides, he has stated that this coming year will be his final one as an intercounty manager. What better way to finish off on a high note than by winning Sam for Mayo?
In fairness to him, I think he genuinely wants All Ireland success for Mayo as well as for possible political advantage. From what he has repeatedly said in recent times, I believe his is genuinely motivated to do his best for his county.
I don’t doubt but that he is doing his best; it’s what he is doing that worries me! ;D

moysider

Quote from: stephenite on August 14, 2008, 01:51:21 AM
Quote from: Bod Mor on August 14, 2008, 01:38:43 AM
I think JOM should take David Brady under his wing next year with a view of taking over full time in the long run. I think DB would make a fine manager.

Sensible words - but you'll be hung for that.  ;D

I feel that whilst the likes of DB and Jimmy Nallen could be good managers eventually you really need someone with a proven track record to manage Senior Inter county teams. Whether they cut their teeth with underage county team a la Jack O Connor and Mickey Harte or prove themselves at Senior club level doesn't really matter but they do need more experience than a year as a selector with Johnno or someone else.

I also feel that the Connelly/Holmes combination will be our next management team no matter what happens.

Jesus, I hope your wrong about the next management Stephenite. Always had my grave misgivings about the current set up but ....... I ll put it this way. I m fast approaching middle age and these wasted 3 year stints are begining to take its toll on me. Being cautioned about patience and spun tales of transition and rebuilding cuts no ice after the years of bullshit I ve witnessed in this county. We need a proper coach in the Moran mould, not a former player who deserves a cut - though for some reason I believe Nallen would make an excellent coach, his superior intellect i suppose. Not a club man that got lucky either. Success at club level largely down to being lucky enough to have the best players at a given time, and luck should have no part in becoming a county manager.