Mayo Season Review 2008 - O'Mahony Confirmed for Another Year

Started by Barney, August 03, 2008, 07:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davitt Man

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 02, 2008, 02:21:07 PM
Quote from: Barney on September 02, 2008, 02:07:25 PM
QuoteMAYO manager John O'Mahony confirmed last night that he will be staying on for the third year of his three-year term and will lead Mayo into the 2009 season.
Speaking at a monthly Mayo GAA Board meeting in Castlebar, O'Mahony told club delegates that he "needed to take stock" after the All-Ireland Qualifier defeat to Tyrone. However, he informed Mayo GAA officials last Friday evening that he intended to remain on as Mayo manager.
"I feel we've made progress," he told the assembled delegates. "I said when I took the job that it'd be a challenging job...We're trying to get a real team ethic where everybody works for everybody else. Some players have bought into that more than others, some have fallen along the way...The thing about it is that everybody shares in the success. I felt after the Tyrone match that everybody needed to take stock. I would die happy if I could bring the success we all crave."
After he had finished addressing the delegates, the Mayo manager took questions from the floor on a range of issues and topics, ranging from the closed season to the central positions on the senior team.
Mayo Oifigeach na Gaeilge, Piaras Ó Raghallaigh, suggested that many delegates would have been 'disappointed' with Mayo's progress over the last two seasons.
"Anyone with that view might not have been listening when I took over the team," replied O'Mahony. "I said I had no magic wand. We'd been in four All-Ireland finals without success and what we're looking to do is build a platform to get back to that stage again.
"We have to hold the nerve. I was frustrated not to push on [this year]. I was disappointed. And when you don't have a Connacht title to show for the work, maybe that's a fair comment... If anybody feels they can do a better job...
"I didn't promise in 2006 that I'd have an All-Ireland in 2007 or 2008. We all want success...I'm not naïve enough to say that if we'd beaten Tyrone we'd be in the All-Ireland final now. But I would feel that we had enough ball in the fifteen minutes after half-time to win that game. We got no breaks, refereeing or otherwise, but we had the winning of the game in our own hands."
Following this response, a number of delegates suggested that O'Mahony be given an additional three-year term so that he could continue to build a Mayo team for the future.
The Mayo boss was given a round of applause as he left the meeting.

Is he having a sly dig at Mc D with this comment?

He is def having a cut at McD there, this is going to haunt him as long as he is the manager, the way he dealt with the McDonald issue was poor.

"We got no breaks, refereeing or otherwise"

Dunno what he is on about here, when your players go around picking the ball off the ground and not taking a goal chance when it presents itself you cant blame the ref!!

kevmy

Quote from: Davitt Man on September 02, 2008, 02:25:58 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 02, 2008, 02:21:07 PM
QuoteMAYO manager John O'Mahony confirmed last night that he will be staying on for the third year of his three-year term and will lead Mayo into the 2009 season.
Speaking at a monthly Mayo GAA Board meeting in Castlebar, O'Mahony told club delegates that he "needed to take stock" after the All-Ireland Qualifier defeat to Tyrone. However, he informed Mayo GAA officials last Friday evening that he intended to remain on as Mayo manager.
"I feel we've made progress," he told the assembled delegates. "I said when I took the job that it'd be a challenging job...We're trying to get a real team ethic where everybody works for everybody else. Some players have bought into that more than others, some have fallen along the way...The thing about it is that everybody shares in the success. I felt after the Tyrone match that everybody needed to take stock. I would die happy if I could bring the success we all crave."
After he had finished addressing the delegates, the Mayo manager took questions from the floor on a range of issues and topics, ranging from the closed season to the central positions on the senior team.
Mayo Oifigeach na Gaeilge, Piaras Ó Raghallaigh, suggested that many delegates would have been 'disappointed' with Mayo's progress over the last two seasons.
"Anyone with that view might not have been listening when I took over the team," replied O'Mahony. "I said I had no magic wand. We'd been in four All-Ireland finals without success and what we're looking to do is build a platform to get back to that stage again.
"We have to hold the nerve. I was frustrated not to push on [this year]. I was disappointed. And when you don't have a Connacht title to show for the work, maybe that's a fair comment... If anybody feels they can do a better job...
"I didn't promise in 2006 that I'd have an All-Ireland in 2007 or 2008. We all want success...I'm not naïve enough to say that if we'd beaten Tyrone we'd be in the All-Ireland final now. But I would feel that we had enough ball in the fifteen minutes after half-time to win that game. We got no breaks, refereeing or otherwise, but we had the winning of the game in our own hands."
Following this response, a number of delegates suggested that O'Mahony be given an additional three-year term so that he could continue to build a Mayo team for the future.

Is he having a sly dig at Mc D with this comment?

He is def having a cut at McD there, this is going to haunt him as long as he is the manager, the way he dealt with the McDonald issue was poor.

"We got no breaks, refereeing or otherwise"

Dunno what he is on about here, when your players go around picking the ball off the ground and not taking a goal chance when it presents itself you cant blame the ref!!

In fairness we didn't get a lot of breaks from the ref in that game. Campbell was blown up for taking the ball off the ground on the Tyrone end line when he clearly put the toe under it.

Having said that we shouldn't have needed any reffering breaks in that game and I'd say from the way Johhno is talking there he knows it to.

I'd say it's a little early to give him another 3 years yet ;)
But we'll see where we are this time next year. A Connacht title and/or a semi final appearance are within our grasp as realistic targets next imo

the Deel Rover

Quote from: kevmy on September 02, 2008, 04:48:31 PM

In fairness we didn't get a lot of breaks from the ref in that game. Campbell was blown up for taking the ball off the ground on the Tyrone end line when he clearly put the toe under it.

Having said that we shouldn't have needed any reffering breaks in that game and I'd say from the way Johhno is talking there he knows it to.

But we'll see where we are this time next year. A Connacht title and/or a semi final appearance are within our grasp as realistic targets next imo

Jesus your been far too optimistic there Kevmy, remember john o's mantra ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

moysider

Anyway that s that. At least this closure is a good thing but not sure I like the man s tone. From what was reported he got an easy enough ride from the club representatives yet his replies were peevish enough. They were reminiscent of Stan s 'Well what would you have done  '?  variety and showed scant regard for those of us who care and would like a decent review of the year. And this business again of  ' if  anybody feels they can do a better job... ' What is that?  Well yes John I think I would have done better because you got a few things badly wrong and very little right. A Gom could have got what he got right right..... so what your next move? That bothers me because he must know he did nt do a good job this year and yet he says this again weeks after he said it in what could be explained away as down to the immediate aftermath of a defeat moment. It looks like he was prepared for a grilling but nobody was in the mood for a row.
As for the delegates that proposed 3 further years. Dunno whats going on there but I have my doubts. Anyway the train will pull out again and there will be no real concern until we lose out to Galway in Salthill next Summer. But that ll be easily explained away. We always lose there right? no magic wand, we we re nt listening to what he said when he got the job [ what he did say was that he would build a platform where we would get back to a final]  time to embrace the qualifiers blah blah blah and when we get knocked out there sure there ll be f*** all paying attention anyway. Yet I m glad he s staying on because a lot of Mayo football people wanted and needed this. My biggest problem is that we wont see McDonald again but hey you cant make an omelette without breakin eggs, right?                   '

cadhlancian

Quote from: moysider on September 02, 2008, 11:49:35 PM

Anyway that s that. At least this closure is a good thing but not sure I like the man s tone. From what was reported he got an easy enough ride from the club representatives yet his replies were peevish enough. They were reminiscent of Stan s 'Well what would you have done  '?  variety and showed scant regard for those of us who care and would like a decent review of the year. And this business again of  ' if  anybody feels they can do a better job... ' What is that?  Well yes John I think I would have done better because you got a few things badly wrong and very little right. A Gom could have got what he got right right..... so what your next move? That bothers me because he must know he did nt do a good job this year and yet he says this again weeks after he said it in what could be explained away as down to the immediate aftermath of a defeat moment. It looks like he was prepared for a grilling but nobody was in the mood for a row.
As for the delegates that proposed 3 further years. Dunno whats going on there but I have my doubts. Anyway the train will pull out again and there will be no real concern until we lose out to Galway in Salthill next Summer. But that ll be easily explained away. We always lose there right? no magic wand, we we re nt listening to what he said when he got the job [ what he did say was that he would build a platform where we would get back to a final]  time to embrace the qualifiers blah blah blah and when we get knocked out there sure there ll be f*** all paying attention anyway. Yet I m glad he s staying on because a lot of Mayo football people wanted and needed this. My biggest problem is that we wont see McDonald again but hey you cant make an omelette without breakin eggs, right?                   '
lads is there any chance that this thread can be closed?

rosnarun

ehhh no no till Omahony jumps ship or is Pushed . any one got any good books on hari-kiri we can send him?
his constant whinging
'If anybody feels they can do a better job...'
shows what kind of a bully he is and why he cant get on with players with character . the missing ingredient of this and last years team showing itself in losing games after game we should have won  .I think Tyrone subsequent performances have shown what an opportunity Mayo Squandered this year by not moving JOM on sooner.
Every weak decision has a cost and don't be too surprised he gets an easy ride from hs buddies in the county board they are the fools that appointed him and shafted M&M in the 1st place.
On that at least the Lie that Moran and morrisson Quit because they fell out with each other has been nailed. was never true but spread by the usual jOM apologists , you know who you are hang your heads!
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Quote from: cadhlancian on September 03, 2008, 12:03:42 AM

No. Now f**k off and concentrate on getting Kevin Hughes not picked for the Tyrone team. P**** like you does nt deserve Hughes or the rest of the Tyrone players. I was hopin to see Tyrone beat Kerry but if it make a Gob***** like you any happier I ll reconsider. How dare you?

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on September 03, 2008, 12:32:50 AM
Quote from: cadhlancian on September 03, 2008, 12:03:42 AM

As for the delegates that proposed 3 further years. Dunno whats going on there but I have my doubts. Anyway the train will pull out again and there will be no real concern until we lose out to Galway in Salthill next Summer. But that ll be easily explained away. We always lose there right? no magic wand, we we re nt listening to what he said when he got the job [ what he did say was that he would build a platform where we would get back to a final]  time to embrace the qualifiers blah blah blah and when we get knocked out there sure there ll be f*** all paying attention anyway. Yet I m glad he s staying on because a lot of Mayo football people wanted and needed this. My biggest problem is that we wont see McDonald again but hey you cant make an omelette without breakin eggs, right?                   '

No. Now f**k off and concentrate on getting Kevin Hughes not picked for the Tyrone team. P**** like you does nt deserve Hughes or the rest of the Tyrone players. I was hopin to see Tyrone beat Kerry but if it make a Gob***** like you any happier I ll reconsider. How dare you?

You tell him Moysider ;D We'll finish talking about 2008 when we decide, not when some gobsheen like you decides
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

the Deel Rover

Quote from: rosnarun on September 03, 2008, 12:29:59 AM
On that at least the Lie that Moran and morrisson Quit because they fell out with each other has been nailed.

Ye was thinking the same thing myself ros , and go on ya boy ya moysider  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

mannix

Is jom interested?
Maybe his players are too soft, we are becoming a bunch of wimps on the field. Conor mort pushed around by the tyrone "player" mcmenamin and nobody levelled him for it.

kevmy

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 02, 2008, 04:54:42 PM

Jesus your been far too optimistic there Kevmy, remember john o's mantra ;)

I hope that's sarcasm there Deel Rover cos we threw away a Connacht this year by giving the Herron Chokers a 20 min head start and played sh1te against Tyrone and still should have got to a AI quarter final.

I think some people are picking and choosing what they want from Johnno's reported statement. His supporters will take the good stuff and his opponents will take the dodgy stuff.

What I propose is for all of us to A) accept the fact JOM is managing for another year, B) leave the seniors alone for a couple of months as talking too much about next year now is a bit frivolous, C) get behind the minors in a couple of weeks time and D) when FBD and the league come next year everyone get out in support.
People where giving out last year about poor atmosphere around the county. Well only fans can build to up so regardless of who's managing or who's playing we should get totally behind the lads next summer and hopefully we'll get a fairly long one out of them

MAIGH EO ABÚ

the Deel Rover

Quote from: kevmy on September 03, 2008, 10:51:17 AM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 02, 2008, 04:54:42 PM

I hope that's sarcasm there Deel Rover cos we threw away a Connacht this year by giving the Herron Chokers a 20 min head start and played sh1te against Tyrone and still should have got to a AI quarter final.

I think some people are picking and choosing what they want from Johnno's reported statement. His supporters will take the good stuff and his opponents will take the dodgy stuff.

What I propose is for all of us to A) accept the fact JOM is managing for another year, B) leave the seniors alone for a couple of months as talking too much about next year now is a bit frivolous, C) get behind the minors in a couple of weeks time and D) when FBD and the league come next year everyone get out in support.
People where giving out last year about poor atmosphere around the county. Well only fans can build to up so regardless of who's managing or who's playing we should get totally behind the lads next summer and hopefully we'll get a fairly long one out of them

MAIGH EO ABÚ

aye it was a touch of sarcasm Kevmy
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Lar Naparka

QuoteNo. Now f**k off and concentrate on getting Kevin Hughes not picked for the Tyrone team. P**** like you does nt deserve Hughes or the rest of the Tyrone players. I was hopin to see Tyrone beat Kerry but if it make a Gob***** like you any happier I ll reconsider. How dare you?

That's the style, Moysider! You tell him!
Janey Mac; there I was in me last post sorta half-apologising for comin' back to give the pot another stir and using McStay and Sean Rice to back me up.
I don't think any Mayo supporter here needs to be told when its time to shut up.

That's right, kevmy, and that is the way it has been for everyone since the beginning of time. People pick up on what they see as important and play down what they see as getting in the way.
Johnno's case is no different to any other.
He was never going to get things easy in Mayo, no matter what he did. But he knew what he was letting himself in for when he took the job and he certainly took long enough to make his mind up before accepting the position.
Now, I won't ever criticise him too much for what he has done in the last two years because I feel he has done sweet damn all. :P
What he has said and what others have said in his favour does concern me a good deal at times.  But I've been down that road too often to go on about it any more.
Right now, he has got the backing of the board for another year. I've no doubt at all that relations between him and the board are strained and that can hardly help matters. Another problem is that he is now working within a very limited time frame- can he do anything in one more year than he accomplished in the last two?
The point hasn't escaped me that he took over in 2006 in a far healthier position than he finds himself in now. Back then, he has a solid nucleus of seasoned players who had battled through to the finals of 2004 and '06 and he had a very promising bunch of good U21 lads coming through as well.
That's a position many managers wouldn't mind finding themselves in.
Maybe the poor devil is doing his best and that's what worries me. :D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

furboot

JoM needs to get rid of that political way of managing and deliberating and making statements - am i the only one that thinks he is gone into that middle of the road position that politicians have come to embrace - always have something to say without saying anything (and then we all try to second guess if it actually means somethin) - don't make any rash decisions - try to keep all sides happy - and so on..... right decision by both JOM and County Board but would be great too see less of the nice guy and a few more actions to move things along. We haven't moved to far forward in 2 years (mostly sideways) so it has to happen in Y3.....

moysider

Mayo go back to work this month as clubs debate Croker 'windfall'

Mike Finnerty

MAYO manager John O'Mahony will begin his preparation for next season later this month, he told club delegates at last night's meeting of the Mayo GAA Board.
Along with his selectors Tommy Lyons and Kieran Gallagher, and the Mayo team's statistician Martin Carney, O'Mahony said that he intends to get the ball rolling for the 2009 season as soon as possible.
"Myself and the management team hope to meet with the players in the next few weeks, and hold trials later in the year so that we can identify a group to go forward into the FBD League and National League," he explained.
"There are a lot of opinions out there...Some people feel a new team is needed, others feel certain older players should stay on. What we're trying to do is blend young and old players together, young players need a guiding hand. Some people showed up well during the year and some didn't...Sport is not an exact science."
The Mayo manager also answered a number of questions from delegates who asked O'Mahony for his thoughts on a range of issues, including the central positions on the senior team, the Sigerson Cup's affect on Mayo players, and the team's progress under his tenure.
Swinford delegate, Peter Geraghty, began the debate when he asked if the Mayo manager was happy with the spine of his team at this moment in time.
"I'd love to get solutions," replied O'Mahony. "You've seen all the players we've tried, the teams we've put out. It's our wish to try and settle these positions. If you know a list of people that can play right down the middle, I'd like to see it. If they're out there, I want to know."
Ballinrobe delegate Billy Horan was also among the delegates who spoke. He asked the Mayo manager if he would have expectations that some of this year's minor team could break through to senior football in the near future.
"I was sitting in the stand last weekend and hoping that a lot of them would grow up quickly," O'Mahony said with a smile. "What really impressed me was the manner of their win, the way they went about their business as a team.
"The way they worked for each other, battled for each other. They maximise their ability as a team and that's what I'd love to our senior team doing. Yes, I do think there's hope for the future."
MEANWHILE, Mayo GAA Board Chairman, James Waldron also told delegates that the clubs of the county were to receive €250,000 over three years from Croke Park as a result of the stadium being opened up to rugby and soccer last year.
The meeting was told that every county in Ireland would receive the same amount of money (approximately €83,000 per year for three years) which would be divided between four clubs per year that were undertaking major developments.
A number of delegates expressed their disappointment with the amount of money being given back to clubs, and also with the fact that every club would not benefit in some way from the windfall. "We were led a merry dance," remarked one club delegate.
The County Board asked the assembled delegates to consider giving some, or all, of this year's allocation towards developing and upgrading training pitches at Mulvey Park, Castlebar. However, following a lengthy debate it was decided that all the money would be distributed between four clubs this year.
The clubs in question will be decided upon at a later date.

This is part of Johnno s county board response to some pretty innocent questions. Again there is the defensive stance when it is nt really necessary. I ve highlighted a few things that I would have issue with but I m only going to comment about one of them.

Trial games - that word again. Wonder will McDonald  be invited along? What does he need trial games for? The dogs in the street could pick 25 of his 30 Championship panel for next years Championship without trial matches right here and now. You d think he d had learn t his lesson by now on this meaningless bladder. He must still think the MWR listeners  of 3 years ago are typical Mayo fans. Feed them any ould parochial hall guff and they ll love it.