Tír Eoghain vs Áth Cliath '08

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 03, 2008, 05:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 22, 2008, 01:58:59 PM
Great article and one thing he mentioned that was constantly in the media this week was the old line 'Tyrone rolled back the years' as if they were a team of veterans on one last hurrahh.  As Brolly said, Dooher was the only 'verteran' playing for Tyrone on Saturday, and I suppose Collie Holmes aswell although he doesn't feature too often, which is surprising given his performance aswell.

True enough but the 97/98 minor lads are all 27/28 now and have a lot of miles on the clock as well. Given the frustrating years Tyrone have endured since 2005 I think the phrase "rolling back the years" is fair enough, lets be honest it was a huge performance that pretty much nobody expected. I would also say those frustrating years will be great motivation for Tyrone at this stage, they must have felt in 2005 that they would be competing for Sam again in 2006 and 2007 but instead were hit by those massive injury problems. You never know whats in front of you and for a lot of the lads this could be their last chance at winning an All-Ireland.

orangeman

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on August 22, 2008, 04:02:39 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 22, 2008, 01:58:59 PM
Great article and one thing he mentioned that was constantly in the media this week was the old line 'Tyrone rolled back the years' as if they were a team of veterans on one last hurrahh.  As Brolly said, Dooher was the only 'verteran' playing for Tyrone on Saturday, and I suppose Collie Holmes aswell although he doesn't feature too often, which is surprising given his performance aswell.

True enough but the 97/98 minor lads are all 27/28 now and have a lot of miles on the clock as well. Given the frustrating years Tyrone have endured since 2005 I think the phrase "rolling back the years" is fair enough, lets be honest it was a huge performance that pretty much nobody expected. I would also say those frustrating years will be great motivation for Tyrone at this stage, they must have felt in 2005 that they would be competing for Sam again in 2006 and 2007 but instead were hit by those massive injury problems. You never know whats in front of you and for a lot of the lads this could be their last chance at winning an All-Ireland.
[/b][/i]

Absolutely true - so enjoy the moment while it lasts !

Puckoon

That was at least a fun article to read by Brolly - nice to see him highlighting Joey - who was my man of the match....after Dooher.

red hander

Quote from: Puckoon on August 22, 2008, 05:25:04 PM
That was at least a fun article to read by Brolly - nice to see him highlighting Joey - who was my man of the match....after Dooher.

Along with Enda, Big Joe is probably our most underrated player (according to the so-called pundits) but the supporters know different

orangeman

Quote from: red hander on August 22, 2008, 06:08:34 PM

Along with Enda, Big Joe is probably our most underrated player (according to the so-called pundits) but the supporters know different

It's probably more that we haven't seen too much of him in recent years.

red hander

Quote from: orangeman on August 22, 2008, 06:18:41 PM
Quote from: red hander on August 22, 2008, 06:08:34 PM

It's probably more that we haven't seen too much of him in recent years.

True, man of the match in the 2005 semi IMO and playing a blinder until he went off injured in the final

ONeill

Knowing Joe's best position is some conundrum. I think he was first used as a wing half back, then full back, then midfield and now in the forward division - Mr Utility.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Zapatista on August 22, 2008, 12:55:09 PM
Quote from: corn02 on August 22, 2008, 12:42:34 PM
I see TV3 made a big deal about the steps last night - slowed it down (think there were nine steps) had the sound down but I would guess they didn't mention McConnell tugging at him.

Had a Dub in the pub last night complaining about that. I asked him did he really want to get into to that non issue, he said "yes, it was a big issue". I said "Charlie Redmond". He paused for a bit and said "ach sure that was in the past" I just chuckled at him ;D

The referee, Aidan Mangan, used a bit of nous and common sense, and played advantage -- Mc Connell was hanging off him, and therefore he couldn't solo or bounce the bleedin' ball! Strewth! Would some folk get a life. Well done referee (though they probably hanged him for it when he returned to Tralee).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

I actually think the ref slightly favoured us in terms of what he termed as acceptable on the day. He received fierce criticism last year after the Dublin/Derry game in that he favoured Dublin. Everything went our way.

Fear ón Srath Bán

I think it more of a case of us profiting more from his (eminently sensible) adjustment to the conditiions -- doubtless he let a lot go, but we had a whole lot more of the play where those decisions were given the benefit of the doubt. I thought we were penalised harshly in the first quarter, but he copped on from there  ;)

ONeill

Harder working teams usually get the rub of the green and that's the way it should be. Tyrone's biggest challenge now is exerting the same effort when favourite!

INDIANA

possibly the most ridiculous comment i've read on this website an absolutely laughable suggestion.

orangeman

I honestly thought that Caffrey was gobsmacked along the line throughout the game, unable to take in what was unfolding in front of him.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Looking like our Ladies are picking up from where our lads left off: Half-time in the Ladies and Tyrone ahead of Dublin by 2-04 to 0-03.

Oh dear, more adversity for Dublin at the hands of the Red Hands  ;)

Result: Tyrone Ladies win by 2-12 to 1-09, with Dublin scoring a goal on the death to add a degree of respectability to the final score.

An Laoch

your minor ladies didnt fare so well against the dubs :)