Tír Eoghain vs Áth Cliath '08

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 03, 2008, 05:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: winsamsoon on August 16, 2008, 06:32:42 PM
Yes the old puke football soon sorted he potential all Ireland Dubs out. Heres hoping it sorts Kerry out aswell. Purely to hearthe new excuses the media come up with.

Surely you mean Wexford? ???
If you were any use you'd be playing.

glenullinabu

i said a while ago i fancied this tyrone team to put a run together (though i was pretty wrong about armagh though ;) ) - tyrone to eat up wexford

ziggysego

Going for a few drinks tonight tram at McGinn's in Killyclogher. Brilliant game today. Dooher was my MoTM.
Testing Accessibility

Farrandeelin

Once again another shock. But then again, looking at Dublin over the past 4 years they've always crumbled when the pressure came on. Hand on heart, I thought Dubs were the only team going to put it up to Kerry this year. I have to say I'm delighted Caffrey is gone. He went way down in my rating after his shoulder on Morrison 2 years ago. I cannot understand how Collie Moran was Dublin captain. Or how Whelan starts (and finishes! ;)) each day for Dublin, or how Shane Ryan can be so poor the day after having one of his best ever performances.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

time ticking away

Fantastic performance from Tyrone but Dublin must have the worst tackling backs in Ireland. Everytime a Tyrone forward ran at a Dublin back he broke the tackle......    But who cares ;D
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

Armamike

Tyrone were brilliant.  Reminded me a bit of Meath's mauling of Kerry in 2001.  Brilliant team performance and effort all round. Always took the right options.  The pleasing thing for Tyrone supporters would be the movement and hunger of the players, i.e. forwards getting back to defend and the defenders getting forward in support and taking scores.  At this stage i'm starting to believe that Dooher must have a pact with the devil or something.  Unbelievable workrate and performance for a man at this stage in his career.

They will have more than enough for Wexford so it looks like they'll be in the final. I still don't think they'll have enough to beat Kerry if they meet, but who would bet against them?  

Dublin were overhyped again this year. They can be an absolutely clueless bunch at times.  They just haven't had the quality on the pitch nor the brains off it to win the AI.  
That's just, like your opinion man.

In the Onion Bag

I expected a cracker and I got one, albelit not the one I expected.

Although Dooher was easliy MoM, Mickey Harte must get much praise plaudits for planning the nullification of Shane Ryan so early in the game.  Without Ryan Dublin don't function.
They quicker the Dubs find a replacement for thug Whelan the better for them, he's a millstone, Tyone just roughed him up a bit and it worked and after that - job done.

Sean Cavanagh at FF will be a major worry for any opposition, he just powered past the Dublin FB line. On top of this I note that from today's impressive total only 4pts came from frees and several defenders got on the card.

This Tyrone team has crept into the semis under the radar, ironically, probably thanks to the Down defeat, but now they must fancy their chances, I do.   It doesn't come easy for a Down man to praise Tyrone but today the earned every ounce.  Well done, go on and take a 3rd Sam.

goh4205

Fair play to Tryone, they full deserved their win & possibly should have won it by more.  As someone above said when the pressure is really on Dublin bottle it, like the did against Armagh in 03 and Tryone in 05.
No point in blaming caffery, he has limited footballers to work with, who are over hyped & over rated.

SCENTOFSAM

the phrase men and boys comes to mind

LaurelEye

Quote from: tram on August 16, 2008, 06:24:56 PM

"Tyrone supporters examine the Dublin defence while on their way to Gorey"
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

behind the wire

has anyone mentioned the frontal charge cavanagh made on whelan? very bad challenge, could have caused serious injury.

if it had been whelan on cavanagh everyone would be shouting about it.

He who laughs last thinks the slowest

In the Onion Bag

Quote from: behind the wire on August 16, 2008, 07:16:02 PM
has anyone mentioned the frontal charge cavanagh made on whelan? very bad challenge, could have caused serious injury.

An 'opportunity tackle' which both players entered into freely.  Whelan can have no complaint.  His actions shortly afterwards showed he cannot take it when its put up to him.  I would not have liked to have been the weakling in his schoolyard.

joemamas

quote author=In the Onion Bag link=topic=8804.msg356591#msg356591 date=1218910780]
Quote from: behind the wire on August 16, 2008, 07:16:02 PM

An 'opportunity tackle' which both players entered into freely.  Whelan can have no complaint.  His actions shortly afterwards showed he cannot take it when its put up to him.  I would not have liked to have been the weakling in his schoolyard.
[/quote]

Opportunity tackle my arse, Whelan had just caught a ball over his head and had just landed, he got a shoulder charge to the head, if it was the other way around , a lot of poasters here would be calling for a red to Whelan.

screenexile

Bad challenge by Cavanagh but not a 'yella' tackle as we would refer to in Derry. Whelan had the ball and Cavanagh challenged him, bad challenge which deserved a yellow card but nothing more than that. Certainly not anything aimed at the head but Cavanagh certainly meant to hit him hard... and Whelan didn't catch the ball above his head either! Whelan showed himself up badly today with his off the ball antics (off the ball being far worse in my book than a tackle made during the course of the game) Another retirement possibly?

I was going to wait until the Dubs poster's got back but what the hey.. I've said it before and I'll say it again. You cannot win an All Ireland with so many passengers! McConnell, Griffin, Cahill, Connolly, Bonner, Sherlock, Keaney (to an extent... goes missing a lot in games) and Quinn are not up to it at this level. The calibre of subs the Dubs brought on compared to Tyrone also tells its own tale... Casey, Magee and Vaughan are not going to turn a match on its head and win it for you, while Tyrone called on lads like Mulligan, Mellon, Hughes and Penrose, all lads who have proven themselves at this level!

Tyrone are a shadow of the team that won the All Ireland a few years ago but as was said today they all have footballing ability and they certainly gave the Dubs a footballing lesson. I think Kerry will be a bridge too far but the way things have gone there can be a massive shift from game to game and who can say Wexford won't put it up to them.

As for the Bearded one? Well what can you say, the man is a footballing genius! How Tyrone fans could have contemplated getting rid of him is stupid. We'd take him in the morning and I'd be near certain we'd win an All Ireland. He has proven again he is the best manager about at the minute and who's to say he won't achieve more. Great performance! (Yuck I feel dirty saying that about Tyrone :-[ :-[)

The Voice Of Reason

The conditions were really terrible there today, so firstly I wouldn't go too hard on Dublin ... 90% of teams would've struggled out there today, it was really really miserable.

I don't think today was about Dublin being bad, it was just about Tyrone being awesome. Their basic skills were a joy to watch. The ball handling and footpassing were terrific, every footballer in the country should aspire to having that basic skillset. Tyrone just had the more skillful players today.

As said by someone else earlier, Colm McCullagh has fantastic vision. I'm still dubious about how good he is at breaking tackles, but he's worth his place on the team alone for his vision and playmaking abilities.

I feel sorry for Dublin. A lot of the lads on that panel are top guys, and they put in a massive effort, as did Pillar Caffrey. I just hope that the Dublin fans recognise that, and that they realise how bloody tough it is to win matches at this level.