Tír Eoghain vs Áth Cliath '08

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 03, 2008, 05:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

You can talk about diving all you like - you can talk about being cynical all you like !

But today, that Tyrone team played collectively as a unit and simply obliterated a Dublin team that has won 4 Leinsters in a row - so Dublin ae not a bad side -
In order to beat Dublin, and let's face it, they didn't simply beat Dublin, they absolutely annihilated Dublin, they had to play a brand of football that we hadn't seen since 2005.

So lads, please on this occasion - don't talk about being cynical, blanket defence, diving or cheating - let us salute Mickey Harte, his backroom team and the team itself on an awesome display of football. Hats off to Tyrone - they gave a superb display that everybody with the exception of green eyed monsters, would salute and herald as one of their finest days in Croke Park -

Instead of being critical of Tyrone, give them the credit which they so richly deserve tonight.

Ok it's only an AI quarter final they won, but they took out a Dublin team that was on the crest of a wave.

Well done Mickey Harte and all the lads - you're a credit !

And please forgive me - I didn't think they could win today. My faith in football has been well and truly restored.

ziggysego

Awesome display by Tyrone, simply awesome. I was sure that we'd win today, but I never dreamt we'd blow Dublin out of the water. Everyman played his part and showed the skill and determination we have become so accustomed to in recent years. Sure there was a few things I wasn't happy with, but in the grand scheme of things, it didn't affect in course of the game. For the first time since April, I can say there's a good chance for Sam this year.... if we get pass Wexford. Harte, I salute you.
Testing Accessibility

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 03, 2008, 06:08:13 PM
Ha ha! Bring them on  ;)

Would the 'pundits', paid or otherwise, now shut the fcuk up, ye total fecking, bleedin', clueless tosspots that ye fcukin' bleedin' are!

Anyways, as I said, we produced in Croke, and blew away a much touted and blown Leinster opposition. Bad luck Dublin.

Can I applaud those Dublin fans who applauded Brian Dooher as he was replaced -- fair dues a chairde, credit where credit is due.

Wexford will not be anything like easy, and sour memories of the timid collapse against Meath last year are not yet faded.

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ziggysego

I agree Fear, credit to the Dubs. Any I spoke to after the game accepted the result and conceded the better team won. Plus the clapping they gave Dooher when he was taken off was lovely. The late comers though bugged my shite, but I'll talk about that later.
Testing Accessibility

Son_of_Sam

To the drunken Dubliner I met in a Melbourne hostel on thursday night who spent an hour moaning about 2006 & telling me why Dublin would have given Kerry a better Final & why Mayo where sh1t  ;D  :D  8)

How many points did Tyrone beat Mayo by? How many points did Galway who lost narrowly to Kerry beat Mayo by? 

tyssam5

;D Nearly slept in - glad I didn't.

I'm normally an optimist but even I did not expect anything like that. Hopefully can carry it forward.

Fuzzman

Me too tysam but this year i've been very pessimistic about our performances and was worried that the new plan this year was to hold off on even trying to hard to early on so that we can peak Aug to Sept.

Problem of course with this is you can come a cropper like last year

Like the Dubs I'm totally blown away by our performance today and fair play to the whole team for such a great display of Teamwork and showing the rest of the country we're not has beens just yet

Mike Sheehy

QuoteHow many points did Tyrone beat Mayo by? How many points did Galway who lost narrowly to Kerry beat Mayo by? 

cop on. Now is not the time to have cheap shots.....you should reflect more on how many  points Kerry beat Mayo by in 2004, 2006.

I simply cant understand how lads like you have a go on the back of someone elses victory. Anyone who indulges in this shite has no pride in their own f**kin jersey...Mayomen, Downmen..all of ye..cop the f**k on. Seriously, ye should be ashamed.

Smokin Joe

I wonder how many beards will be sported the next day out against Wexford?

stephenite

Quote from: Puckoon on August 15, 2008, 06:27:35 AM
Now is that an aussie steak, a mayo steak, a tyrone steak, or a texas fillet? None of that aul kangaroo steak carry on, unless i get the hide to make a new pair of boots.

No matter, you will paying, so we will go for all four, make sure there are french fried onions and some sauce au poivoire.

I like it. :D

Even if I lose, sure isnt herself a Dr, sure its a splash in the ocean.

Steak dinner on me Puck!!

Like most I simply didn't think that Tyrone had a performance of that magnitude in them. They were pretty awesome and all credit has to go to Mickey Harte for having them peak at the right time.

his holiness nb

I think it does a diservice to Tyrone to have bitching about diving, who should have got red cards, who should have got yellows etc, as does the gloating from guys on here from counties who werent at the game yesterday. So I'll just talk about the football.

f**king depressing  :'(

I suppose the standard question in these situations is "were Tyrone that good or were Dublin that bad".
The standard answer is "a bit of both". I disagree with that totally, it should be "a lot of both".

I honestly thought the Dubs had the measure of Tyrone this year, but huge credit to them for an outstanding display of EXCITING ATTACKING football. I found myself applauding Dooher when he came off (which drew a few funny looks on the hill) but how could any honest football fan not applaud that performance? Fair play to Tyrone and good luck with the rest of the championship.

I suppose the one bit of comfort for the Dubs who were awful, is that its the end of the Pillar era. The team that promised so much, yet ultimately proved the doubters right, they couldnt do it on the big stage.
When you are in big trouble against a rampant Tyrone team and your first decision to try to turn the game is to bring on Paul Casey, you really have to wonder. That said, it cant be all blamed on Pillar, there was a lot of big players out there who just didnt perform.

Time now to wipe the slate clean and start afresh.

As dissapointing as it was, sure its only football and we will be back in Croke park dreaming of SAM again next summer, call that arrogant, or foolish, I prefer endlessly optomistic.

Good luck to Tyrone, you fully deserve your place in the semi, and earned it in style. And the fans were great craic and conducted themselves impeccably too. Cant praise Tyrone enough in general after yesterday. You proved this doubter wrong, thats for sure.
Ask me holy bollix

orangeman

When you are in big trouble against a rampant Tyrone team and your first decision to try to turn the game is to bring on Paul Casey, you really have to wonder. That said, it cant be all blamed on Pillar, there was at of big players out there who just didnt perform.

When I saw Paul Casey coming on I couldn't believe it - Dublin needed forward power - not a half back at that stage !

red hander

Best performance since 2005 final, Tyrone were awesome and the Dubs were poor ... clueless.  Fair play to the magnanimous Dubs on this thread, great to read.  I fancied us to win since the draw ... the hype round the Dubs was ridiculous since they beat Wexford, a Wexford team who showed us their true colours against Armagh

Bottom line, the hype of pundits doesn't win games, footballers win games, and the footballers who won the game yesterday have Celtic crosses in their back pockets, been there, got the T-shirt ... form is temporary, class is permanent..

Finally, to those calling for Mickey Harte's head earlier in the season, wise the f**k up now

Bud Wiser

QuoteI think it does a diservice to Tyrone to have bitching about diving, who should have got red cards, who should have got yellows etc, as does the gloating from guys on here from counties who werent at the game yesterday. So I'll just talk about the football.

f**king depressing 

I suppose the standard question in these situations is "were Tyrone that good or were Dublin that bad".
The standard answer is "a bit of both". I disagree with that totally, it should be "a lot of both".

I honestly thought the Dubs had the measure of Tyrone this year, but huge credit to them for an outstanding display of EXCITING ATTACKING football. I found myself applauding Dooher when he came off (which drew a few funny looks on the hill) but how could any honest football fan not applaud that performance? Fair play to Tyrone and good luck with the rest of the championship.

I suppose the one bit of comfort for the Dubs who were awful, is that its the end of the Pillar era. The team that promised so much, yet ultimately proved the doubters right, they couldnt do it on the big stage.
When you are in big trouble against a rampant Tyrone team and your first decision to try to turn the game is to bring on Paul Casey, you really have to wonder. That said, it cant be all blamed on Pillar, there was a lot of big players out there who just didnt perform.

Time now to wipe the slate clean and start afresh.

As dissapointing as it was, sure its only football and we will be back in Croke park dreaming of SAM again next summer, call that arrogant, or foolish, I prefer endlessly optomistic.

Good luck to Tyrone, you fully deserve your place in the semi, and earned it in style. And the fans were great craic and conducted themselves impeccably too. Cant praise Tyrone enough in general after yesterday. You proved this doubter wrong, thats for sure.

That's a commendable post your holiness and fair play to you.

I have to say I feel sorry for the Dubs and like it or not the Leinster championship was dead until they arrived on the scene.  I feel particularly sorry for Shane Ryan, Whelan, Cluxton and the Ballyboden lads Keany and Moran.  Maybe Dinny Breen will explain what went wrong and judging by his view that "Laois think they are better than they are" or some crazy idea like that perhaps the Herald in particular put too much pressure on the lads.   Like I say, it is a crazy idea because if you take it to a logical conclusion then Kildare must have went out against Cork thinking they were worse than they actually are so maybe the new setup will introduce more ball work and less gym work.   As you say, time to wipe the slate clean and start afresh but now is not the time for anyone to be slating the players.

EDIT:  Just on the issue of bar stool experts who castigate players and think they know everything.  Watched the last Dubs game in my local and a group of eejits, one in particular had it in for one of the Dubs players who certainly was not deserving the loud criticism he was getting, "xyz player is a f%%%ing &***er , he is this, he is that etc."   What said loudmouth did not realise was that it was the players sister who was doing the lounge service. He was in mid sentence saying he was a uselss cnut when magically and with slight of hand two full pints of Guinness fell right off the tray she was holding and landed in said loudmouths lap.  We all went outside for a smoke, well actually to break our hearts laughing!
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Barney

Fair play to Mickey Harte and Tyrone. Simply outstanding.

I'm no Dubs fan but the players involved on that panel have spilt blood, sweat and tears to try to bring themselves up to Tyrone's level partciularly since the 2005 Final. When their chance came everything that could go wrong on the day went wrong and they had no answers. Caffrey was never the man to bring this team over the line and probably stayed 2 years too long. It will probably take another 2/3 years to have another decent shot.

When you peel away the hype though the hard facts are that since 2002 Dublin have only beaten Donegal, Derry x 2, London, Sligo and Roscommon from outside Leinster. In other words no big name slain.