Tír Eoghain vs Áth Cliath '08

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 03, 2008, 05:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyssam5

Was thinking that it is really rare to have no scoreable frees to take until the game is over? Did this suit TMcC and CMcC, both were brilliant from play, was this due to not having the added pressure of having to score frees, which they can both miss a few at times?

ONeill

Beard off today. Herself won. Job done anyway.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fuzzman

Yeah my beard is gone now too though I do have an interview tomrrow and lads at work thought I looked like a Hobo

Some good pics on the BBC website like this one below

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/photo_galleries/7565994.stm

I cut out all the match reports from Sunday and Monday to show the young fella in 20 years time when he's coming back from the Hill disappointed again and I'll be saying

Well you did chose the Dubs over the Red hand Defenders Son

reddgnhand

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on August 19, 2008, 01:58:16 PM
Quote from: orangeman on August 19, 2008, 10:48:35 AM
Watched the game last night again - Tyrone were awesome - The Dubs just didn't know what had hit them.

Had Dublin scored the goal chance early on, when Thomas Quinn gave a bad ball across to Dermot Conolly, the outcome might have been different. As it was, 1- 5 to 0-2 after 25 minutes, it was effectively game over.

Similarly the Joe McMahon goal came at a crucial time just after the Dubs had got their goal and brought the margin back to 3 points. Must have been a real blow for them to concede again straight after. In fairness as well that Dublin chance Tyrone should also have got an earlier goal when Tommy went through on Cluxton.

Im getting a bit worried about DUBSFORSAM1...he seemed to be a frequent poster on Tyrone threads up until Saturday and was sure the Red Hands were to be given an education in how the game should be played. He hasnt been seen since, I hope he's ok :'(.

I see he's appeared on resdubs spouting shite about Cavanaghs goal being illegal. 3 years he's been on here telling us how Mugsy's goal was illegal now we are going to listen to the same shite for the next 3 years. Its times like this ye wish big Sean had missed. What a f*****g anorak he is. 

corn02

I see TV3 made a big deal about the steps last night - slowed it down (think there were nine steps) had the sound down but I would guess they didn't mention McConnell tugging at him.

Zapatista

Quote from: corn02 on August 22, 2008, 12:42:34 PM
I see TV3 made a big deal about the steps last night - slowed it down (think there were nine steps) had the sound down but I would guess they didn't mention McConnell tugging at him.

Had a Dub in the pub last night complaining about that. I asked him did he really want to get into to that non issue, he said "yes, it was a big issue". I said "Charlie Redmond". He paused for a bit and said "ach sure that was in the past" I just chuckled at him ;D

orangeman

We were lucky in 2005 against Dublin, lucky in the game under lights and lucky again last week  -  I hope we're lucky against Wexford too !  ;)

Bensars

Published - Fri, Aug 22, 2008

Hail the great guru Harte

By Joe Brolly

YOU couldn't describe last Saturday's affair as a match. It was a Dublin collapse, a brilliant display by Tyrone, or partly both, but it was certainly not a match. I said before the game that Dublin needed a good start to quell the anxiety in their ranks and bring calm to the Hill. In the first quarter, they created the opportunities to build a solid lead, but didn't take them.

Dublin won seven of the first eight kickouts, but Jason Sherlock, Tomas Quinn, Bernard Brogan and Ciaran Whelan posted four bad wides in succession, and Alan Brogan hit the post from fourteen yards. By the ninth minute the score should have been 0-5 to 0-1 for the Dubs. As it was, it was 0-0 to 0-1 in favour of Tyrone, and Dublin stomachs were starting to churn.

With the score at 0-2 to 0-2, the Dubs botched a great goal chance, because Tomas Quinn dithered, took the wrong option, and gave a terrible handpass. He should either have given the handpass quickly, or carried on, using Diarmuid Connolly to dummy Justin McMahon, and slip it in the net. Justin must take a lot of credit for his role in this vital moment. Faced with an onrushing forward and another inside, he immediately started to back away towards his goals. This in turn put Tomas in two minds. Because Justin backed off, Diarmuid Connolly ran too close to the goalie, and by the time the pass was given it was too late. Kudos to Justin, who played impeccably throughout.

This was the crucial period of the game. Dublin could easily have been 1-5 to 0-2 in front (watch the video) and flying. Instead, by the 25th minute, it was 1-5 to 0-2 for Tyrone, and the water was warm in Dublin's nightmare.

Their game is a primitive one, based on power and hard-running. Against Wexford, they were able to barge their way through the defence on long solo runs. This somewhat unsubtle approach was food and drink to Tyrone's meticulously crafted defensive strategy.

I must confess to feelings of enjoyment watching Joe McMahon and Brian Dooher doubling up on the Dublin full forwards, then kicking cross-field balls and timing their runs forward to join the Tyrone attack. Paul Caffrey's decision not to assign a man-marker to these two was a disaster, and although we gave the Man of the Match to Brian, in truth, both men were equally influential for Tyrone.

Joe's performance was terrific. His tackling work was top notch. His winning and use of possession was expert, his finishing immaculate. Importantly, he plays with a sense of fun, and it is easy to admire him. The beard makes him look like the baddie in a Clint Eastwood western, you know the ones that get shot early on, and then Clint spits tobacco on their corpse.

I have heard and read a lot of speculation during the week about the Tyrone beards, from dressing room pacts to fashion choices, but isn't it clear what is happening? The boys are slowly turning into Mickey Harte, the inevitable consequence of living life under the eye of the great Guru.

In due course, a religion will be founded, and he and his followers will retreat to a purpose built compound in West Tyrone, where they will bring tactical and strategic work on the football field to even greater heights, and all will live there in contentment, the only outside interference being weekly deliveries of groceries from WJ Dolan, and a six pack for Mugsy. All Tyrone footballers will live there from the ages of eighteen to thirty three, and when they retire, they will stay on and coach the younger generation in the true path of the Harte.

The contrast in the teams' styles was perfectly summed up in a three-minute spell during the third quarter of the game. In the 49th minute, Diarmuid Connolly soloed towards goal and Ryan McMenamin kept him on the sideline, waited for the cavalry, then stripped him clean. Paul Caffrey could take no more, and as Diarmuid trudged to the bench, Tyrone swept upfield, the ball pinging from white shirt to white shirt with absolute precision before Davy Harte stepped inside his man and calmly picked his spot.

Sixty seconds later, Tomas Quinn got a glimpse of goal but was swallowed up by six Tyrone men, like rats on a dead dog.

It was an immaculate Tyrone performance combining defensive meanness with precision attacks. Their movement, both of themselves and the ball, mesmerised the Dubs, even Shane Ryan looking leaden-legged.

In truth it was sad to watch them toiling against such a skilled opponent and it is clear that this group will never win an All-Ireland. Their kicking of long passes into the space was a serious error on such a slippy surface. On eight occasions in the first half, a Dubliner kicked the ball over the side or end-line. Meanwhile, Tyrone found their man with precise, soft footpassing.

A good example of this was their first point. It started with Ryan McMenamin in the full back line. Twelve unbroken passes later, Tommy McGuigan scored from the 21 yard line. Another important feature of Tyrone's method is the way they create good scoring opportunities in the scoring zone. All their scores were from good positions.

There were many examples of Tyrone's craft and ability in attack, but the best was their second killer goal. When Tommy McGuigan gathered the ball at the corner flag it looked to be a most unpromising situation, but like all Tyrone men, he was constantly scanning his options. When Joe McMahon backed off his man towards the far post, McGuigan instantly delivered a sublime pass and McMahon, in another theme running through their performance, calmly picked his spot. Enda McGinley had run into the space up the central channel when he saw Tommy McGuigan taking possession. When Tommy jockeyed from left to right, Enda saw Joe McMahon making the run into the area in front of goal, so immediately took off straight towards Tommy, bringing his man with him. Joe was clear, the pass was given, goal. Simple and beautiful. The team, not the individual.

From start to finish, a Tyrone team that must surely be below their 2005 mark were nonetheless at a different level. Alan Brogan's early injury didn't help Dublin much but it is impossible to conclude that it would have made any difference.

Tyrone had a bit of fun in the last quarter, which will be a bit of a worry for the Great Guru Harte. He would have preferred to scramble through this game, remaining under the radar as long as possible. But not even Mickey can keep things under control to that extent.

Dublin chased shadows last weekend and Tyrone's humiliation of a good Dublin team has raised the ante. Pat O'Shea's interest has been excited and Kerry will now be focused on the white shirts.

Somebody said to me afterwards that Tyrone had rolled back the years, but do not forget that nearly all of them are in their mid-20s save for Brian Dooher. Brian is 32 human years old but that is obviously meaningless given his reality-defying performance. He came off to a massive, wholehearted ovation to be replaced by Owen Mulligan (remember him?) who looked like a man arriving at Croke Park from a heavy night out at Stringfellows.

Perhaps this will be Tyrone's high point but I doubt it. Kerry will get their chance for vengeance after all, but who will bet against this elite Tyrone team and their extraordinary coach?

nrico2006

Great article and one thing he mentioned that was constantly in the media this week was the old line 'Tyrone rolled back the years' as if they were a team of veterans on one last hurrahh.  As Brolly said, Dooher was the only 'verteran' playing for Tyrone on Saturday, and I suppose Collie Holmes aswell although he doesn't feature too often, which is surprising given his performance aswell.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

his holiness nb

Whether he took too many steps or not, who gives a f**k!!

Its not like that was the deciding score  ::)

Theres too many of my fellow Dubs wanting to blame the ref, the weather etc rather than look at the manager and the team. Reality check needed for many Dubs still.
Ask me holy bollix

orangeman

Next August will be the next reality check !

supersarsfields

Typical Brolly piece. Has some valid points which he bluffs out with his usual "zany" outlook.

his holiness nb

Quote from: orangeman on August 22, 2008, 02:07:43 PM

If we keep blaming everyone but ourselves, then yes.

That said, the players arent blaming anyone else, just the odd eegit on interner forums.
Ask me holy bollix

An Fear Rua

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 22, 2008, 02:29:20 PM

That said, the players arent blaming anyone else, just the odd eegit on interner forums.

Thats a bit of a harsh punishment for losing a match...
Its Grim up North

heffo

Quote from: An Fear Rua on August 22, 2008, 03:50:19 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on August 22, 2008, 02:29:20 PM

Thats a bit of a harsh punishment for losing a match...

Maybe if the Guards had interned a few of your lot last Saturday, we'd a had a chance  ;)