Armagh and Galway not allowed to play their quarter final in Croke Park

Started by orangeman, July 31, 2008, 11:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 02, 2008, 02:46:28 PM
AFS - Croke Park was free at most for 2 football games on the 9th and that has been known since before the championship even started without any complaints about it. Are you advocating that matches should be moved to limit to amount of people who attend the games? Why should Dublin who are the Leinster champions be moved out of the province to play their qtr-final? Why can't Armagh/Galway play their qtr-finals in their own provinces ie Tuam/Clones and there will be still more tickets for them than playing a Double header with Dublin.

Dublin are just insisting on playing on the dates that are in the fixture listing as to when they are playing - what is wrong with that?

Fair enough point. Expth the provincial thing of course but your argument for Dublin is correct.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: corn02 on August 02, 2008, 02:53:59 PM
AFS - Croke Park was free at most for 2 football games on the 9th and that has been known since before the championship even started without any complaints about it. Are you advocating that matches should be moved to limit to amount of people who attend the games? Why should Dublin who are the Leinster champions be moved out of the province to play their qtr-final? Why can't Armagh/Galway play their qtr-finals in their own provinces ie Tuam/Clones and there will be still more tickets for them than playing a Double header with Dublin.

Dublin are just insisting on playing on the dates that are in the fixture listing as to when they are playing - what is wrong with that?

Fair enough point. Expth the provincial thing of course but your argument for Dublin is correct.

Corn - Why is the provincial thing wrong?

corn02

Croke Park as such isn't viewed as Leinster venue, it is viewed at HQ, the big stage, the place teams want to play in.

Provincial winner should play there, as has been the norm. I understand what you mean about playing in their own province but you have to accept that Croke Park is above that?

DUBSFORSAM1

Croke Park though is the Leinster provincial ground and if viewed as not then a new 80k stadium needs to be built which is ridiculous...

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: AFS on August 02, 2008, 03:08:32 PM

Your point that I've highlighted is quite ironic, since if Armagh are forced to play at Clones (which is the best case scenario, and by no means guaranteed) its very likely that there'll be a good few Armagh supporters that will miss the game due to a lack of tickets. Are these Armagh supporters less important than Dublin ones? Also, what are the chances of Kerry, Mayo or Wexford agreeing to come to Clones? Its far more likely that Armagh will be dragged to an even smaller provincial ground somewhere in the midlands to face any of these teams. All I'm asking for it that every member county of the association be given equal use of the associations main stadium, which at the minute they're not.

Clones holds practically 35k which will be at least half of the available number of tickets available in Croke Park for a double header once the Premium and the Box seats are taken out so there is no way they would get less tickets. So that arguement doesn't hold water. You then have the reduced costs for fans which we keep hearing are very costly for families so thats another bonus. How many Armagh fans have been going to the championship games this year? 15-20K maybe and nearly all them will get tickets to Clones - what about the 30k Dublin fans who have been at all games who wouldn't get a ticket, are they not important at all???

With regards to the qualifier teams my point has always been that the provincial winners should get the benefits of being champions and going through the front door by getting effectively a home game and extra tickets.

So no doubt you demand that the Armagh hurlers get the exact same treatment as the Armagh footballers if you want everyone to be treated the same??

corn02

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 02, 2008, 03:03:22 PM
Croke Park though is the Leinster provincial ground and if viewed as not then a new 80k stadium needs to be built which is ridiculous...

Just don't think your getting me here.

INDIANA

its simple econmoics AFS , Dubli fill croke park, armagh don't Dublin are a cash cow, armagh aren't. The basis of your argument is technically correct in that Croke park is a national stadium not a dublin one. But i know dublin get croke park because they fill it. 82,500= 4-5m gate receipts, 5 times average a year, thats a lot of money. ot sayig its right, but thats the reason.

corn02

Agrred Indiana, just we have point out stuipid mistakes when Tankie says there has been over 70k at Dublin games this year.

ardal

What about opening up Parnell park and whacking in a massive  TV screen for a double header involving the dubs? Understand it's not the same as being in CP, but beggars can't be choosers

PatDaly

Approximately how many fans will show up on Sunday August 10th for the Cork 1/4 final and the Cork hurling semi-final? I think a triple header on Sunday August 10th with the Armagh 1/4 final being the third match is the solution.

Dublin could play next Saturday August 9th along with the Galway 1/4 final which would likely attract the lowest number of fans of all 4 quarter-finals. The Dubs could therefore have about 60% to 65% of the tickets available for their 1/4 final game.

armaghniac

A triple bill is not a runner at all, Kilkenny v Cork is sure to attract a large crowd and throw in another 10,000 for the opposition for the Cork footballers. If Armagh etc were playing we'd only get handful of tickets.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

DUBSFORSAM1

Pat - What would you do with the minors then??

Armaghmaniac - You have no problem in an awful lot of Dublin fans missing out on tickets so why is this not acceptable to Armagh fans?

INDIANA

put the minors somewhere befitting the status of u18 players. ie a provincial ground. i've said it time and again there is no necessity for minors bar the finals to be playing in croke park .dsfm.

DUBSFORSAM1

Indiana - the minors semi-finals have and should be played ahead of the senior games.....a lot of times counties are playing in both matches so it is only fair that they get the chance. We want to give people the chance to play at Croke Park so don't take it away from the minors.

armaghniac

QuoteArmaghmaniac - You have no problem in an awful lot of Dublin fans missing out on tickets so why is this not acceptable to Armagh fans?

Where did I say that I had no problem with Dublin fans missing out?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B