For the attention of OWC'ers

Started by Jim_Murphy_74, July 30, 2008, 03:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Murphy_74

...seeing as there generally is a cross-fertilisation of topics betwen here and "Other NI Sport" on your wee website (usually something painting us a terrorist supporting filth(c)) could someone maybe cut and paste the following in there.  It is sourced from elsewhere on this discussion board  http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=7499.0

Belfast Cúchulainns win Under 16 Hurling Championship at Youth Games
28 July 2008

Cross Community Under 16 Hurling Team, the Belfast Cúchulainns, have won the Intercontinental Youth Games Under 16 Hurling Championships defeating New York 3-12 to 1-5 in the final of the competition  in Philadelphia.

The team return home on Tuesday after a 10 day American tour won every game of their section beating teams from San Francisco and Boston as well as a North American Combined team.

The hurling team, which is a cross-community inter-school hurling team of 20 Boys all of whom are under the age of 16, have five players from four schools namely Corpus Christi College, St. Patrick's College Beranagheeha, Belfast Boys Model School and Ashfield Boys School.

The tour led by Ulster GAA President Tom Daly and Director of Coaching and Games Dr. Eugene Young started in New York with a challenge match at Gaelic Park against a the New York Under 16 development team before moving on to Washington. The Washington stay of the tour included a training session with the Washington Gaels on the Mall followed by a reception at Capital Hill hosted by Congressman Joseph Crowley and Congressman Jim Walsh. The team were also guests of honour at a reception at the Irish Embassy hosted by Deputy Ambassador Tim O'Connor and a later reception with the Washington Gaels at the Northern Ireland Bureau Offices hosted by Deputy Director Aidan Cassidy.   

The team completed the tour by participating in the North American GAA Continental Youth Games in Philadelphia. 

Tom Daly President of Ulster GAA said: "I am delighted that Ulster GAA is involved in developing this flagship project which merges the two main cultural traditions of Ulster together embracing both respect and diversity."

Danny Murphy Director of Ulster GAA who established the project with school Principals Andy McMorran, PJ O'Gradey, Dan McGivern and Jim Keith highlighted that the Cúchulainns are the first of several cross community hurling teams, which the Ulster GAA plan to establish over the next year. "Already we have had great interest from other schools in urban areas that are willing to establish teams similar to the Cúchulainns and we envisage our first cross-community Hurling competition taking place in 2009. Additionally we hope to select an Ulster All-Star U-16 Hurling Team from this competition to play an international match against a Scottish Shinty select on an annual basis."

Andy McMorran Principal of Ashfield Boys School praised the project, "This has been an outstanding initiative which has given all the boys involved with the team the opportunity to see America and develop new friendships. All the lads and the adults involved in the project have developed a strong bond over the past year and it has been an excellent educational experience for all of us, I am thankful to Danny Murphy, Eugene Young and the GAA generally  for their support in developing this project."

GAA President Nickey Brennan hailed the success of the initiative - "I am thankful to both the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Office of the First and deputy First Minister for supporting this important project, it is fantastic to see the a fully representative team from Belfast travel to the games and win their section, well done to everyone involved in the project."

The cross community hurling project has been in existence for just over two years and the schools playing under the Cuchulainns banner have participated in the range of events, which included travelling to Scotland in 2007 to play Scotland in an International Shinty match. The favour was repaid on 26th June when a Scottish under 16 Shinty select travelled to Stormont to play the Belfast team in an international challenge match hosted by the UIster Council. The children who are part of the Cuchulainns team, represent both religious dominations and live in North, West and East Belfast.

/Jim.

nifan

Great story.
Get the kids playing every sport they can together, the earlier in life the better.

Chrisowc

Quote from: nifan on July 30, 2008, 04:11:53 PM
Great story.
Get the kids playing every sport they can together, the earlier in life the better.

Agreed.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Evil Genius

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on July 30, 2008, 03:46:21 PM
...seeing as there generally is a cross-fertilisation of topics betwen here and "Other NI Sport" on your wee website (usually something painting us a terrorist supporting filth(c)) could someone maybe cut and paste the following in there.  It is sourced from elsewhere on this discussion board  http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=7499.0

Is there any reason why you can't join OWC, as other GAA fans have done, and post it yourself? After all, I and other members of OWC have no difficulty in doing the reverse on here.

P.S. Good to see young people being brought together by sport.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

ziggysego

In fairness EG, I can't start threads.
Testing Accessibility

AZOffaly

Why not, God knows you have enough practice at it :D

T Fearon

Wouldn't it be great also if young kids from all over this island played soccer together under one organisational umbrella and for one island wide national team?

screenexile

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 30, 2008, 04:30:35 PM

Is there any reason why you can't join OWC, as other GAA fans have done, and post it yourself? After all, I and other members of OWC have no difficulty in doing the reverse on here.

I've tried to join OWC a few times EG and they seem to be quite selective as to who they let in. Don't know for what reason I wasn't allowed as my username was screenexile and nothing offensive.

Mentalman

Not sure if this is why Jim hasn't signed up (could be banned?), but there was the small issue of data protection a couple of years back? Nasty incident of a certain person's work email address, which they had, in fairness, foolishly used, being broadcast to all and sundry? Personally I just wouldn't trust the administrators of the site after that.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Jim_Murphy_74

EG,

2 reasons:

1) I don't want to give my work e-mail address to the admin there and my company does not allow me use other e-mail addresses.  (I could get around this by posting on my own time outside of work)
2) I don't want to pay the admin to post there.

Anyway my post was a much an experiment to see how fast news travels and the influence of it's nature on it's speed.  

/Jim.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Mentalman on July 30, 2008, 04:52:04 PM
[Not sure if this is why Jim hasn't signed up (could be banned?), but there was the small issue of data protection a couple of years back? Nasty incident of a certain person's work email address, which they had, in fairness, foolishly used, being broadcast to all and sundry? Personally I just wouldn't trust the administrators of the site after that.

Nail, head, hit.

As I stated I could go to an internet cafe, set up a gmail or something and wait for entrance to be granted but it's all too much trouble.

Alternatively I could take the risk that running against the grain on some of the viiews there that my e-mail would be published.

Anyhow, someone has kindly allowed me lurk their under their username from time to time.

/Jim.

Solomon Kane

Quote from: T Fearon on July 30, 2008, 04:42:56 PM
Wouldn't it be great also if young kids from all over this island played soccer together under one organisational umbrella and for one island wide national team?

No.

T Fearon

Well then ask your OWC chums why it is great they canplay hurling/shinty together but not soccer?

fred the red

what is this owc stand for, only white catholics??

AZOffaly