3G iPhone

Started by mournerambler, July 30, 2008, 03:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

QuoteA question lads, perhaps a silly one. if I bought an i-phone in the USA could I use it here at home on my local network?  Apart from the charger etc would there be any other problems. The music player would be the least important part of the phone for me. Would like a phone that has wifi and good internet options and maybe a few apps. No overly a techno guy hence the nature of the question.

I would assume that as long as the phone is unlocked, you should be able to use it anywhere.  Is there a big price differential between here and the US in the iPhone? 

Sandino

Not sure but I think they are about $200.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

muppet

Quote from: KT on May 17, 2010, 01:31:58 AM
Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice - I'd downloaded quite a few songs from itunes onto my iPhone.  I hadn't sync'd the iPhone with the computer post downloading songs (although I'm not sure what good that would've done since I was only allowed to operate them on one machine).  Anyway I promptly lost the damn iPhone and now I've got my replacement, does anyone know of a way to retrieve the songs I've already bought without paying for them again?? Thanks in advance!

You should be able to download purchases with the new phone.

Can't remember exactly how to do this, I think if you open iTunes look at the 'Store' tab and hit 'authorise computer'. My understanding is that this allows you to places purchases on 5 (anyone??) different devices.

Try to sych then with the new phone and see if they transfer.

There is a way if the above doesn't do it, so don't give up.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: balladmaker on May 17, 2010, 12:04:48 PM
QuoteA question lads, perhaps a silly one. if I bought an i-phone in the USA could I use it here at home on my local network?  Apart from the charger etc would there be any other problems. The music player would be the least important part of the phone for me. Would like a phone that has wifi and good internet options and maybe a few apps. No overly a techno guy hence the nature of the question.

I would assume that as long as the phone is unlocked, you should be able to use it anywhere.  Is there a big price differential between here and the US in the iPhone?

No problem using it here. Also the charger usually has its own transformer, like newer laptops, so all you need is the correct plug/adapter.
MWWSI 2017

Puckoon

Quote from: Sandino on May 17, 2010, 12:36:45 PM
Not sure but I think they are about $200.

Its about 200$ with a 2 year contract to buy the device. The device is currently locked into the AT &T network over here, so you'd need to have it jail broken to use at home with an irish/uk provider.

taken from wiki

Most iPhones are sold with a SIM lock, which restricts the use of the phone to one particular carrier, a common practice with subsidized GSM phones. Unlike most GSM phones however, the phone cannot be officially unlocked by entering a code. The locked/unlocked state is maintained on Apple's servers per IMEI and is set when the iPhone is activated.

While the iPhone was initially sold in the US only on the AT&T network with a SIM lock in place, various hackers have found methods to "unlock" the phone from a specific network.[199] Although AT&T is the only authorized iPhone carrier in the United States, unlocked iPhones can be used with an unauthorized carrier after unlocking.[200] More than a quarter of the original iPhones sold in the United States were not registered with AT&T. Apple speculates that they were likely shipped overseas and unlocked, a lucrative market before the iPhone 3G's worldwide release.[201] Unlocking iPhones in the U.S. is done because many would-be users dislike being tied to AT&T or consider their monthly fees too expensive.[32][not in citation given]

On November 21, 2007, T-Mobile in Germany announced it would sell the phone unlocked and without a T-Mobile contract, caused by a preliminary injunction against T-Mobile put in place by their competitor, Vodafone.[202] On December 4, 2007, a German court decided to grant T-Mobile exclusive rights to sell the iPhone with SIM lock, overturning the temporary injunction.[203] In addition, T-Mobile will voluntarily offer to unlock customers' iPhone after the contract expires.[204]

AT&T has stated that the "iPhone cannot be unlocked, even if you are out of contract".[200][205] On March 26, 2009 AT&T in the United States began selling the iPhone without a contract, though still SIM-locked to their network.[206] Such iPhone units are often twice as expensive as those with contracts, because Apple and AT&T lose the deferred income

If you're not the most tech savvy guy, like me, I would'nt imagine it would be worth the hassle.

ildanach

I am going getting an iphone but am not in immediate rush (can wait unitl july) but if i get one now will it run on iPhone OS 4 software or are they not available yet. Or will i be able to install this version of the software if the phone does not have it?
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Minder

Quote from: ildanach on May 22, 2010, 05:17:42 PM
I am going getting an iphone but am not in immediate rush (can wait unitl july) but if i get one now will it run on iPhone OS 4 software or are they not available yet. Or will i be able to install this version of the software if the phone does not have it?

Just wait until the new one comes out, someone from O2 or whatever network will try and get yo to take the 3GS now. If you do get a 3GS now you can get OS4 through ITunes when it is released.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ildanach

thanks for the advice
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

supersub

I know you can never tell exactly when it will be release, but has anyone heard any rumours lately about the new one?

Shrek

Quote from: supersub on May 26, 2010, 09:47:25 AM
I know you can never tell exactly when it will be release, but has anyone heard any rumours lately about the new one?

not sure if there are any rumours, but it should be announced on the 7th June

thebigfella

Quote from: Shrek on May 26, 2010, 10:00:44 AM
Quote from: supersub on May 26, 2010, 09:47:25 AM

not sure if there are any rumours, but it should be announced on the 7th June

Most like they will announce it at the Worldwide Developers Conference on June 7th. Jobs is giving the keynote too, so that usually indicates a big announcement, I'll let you know as I've been invited to it  :D

Olly

PEOPLE ARE KILLING THEMSELVES BECAUSE OF THE IPHONES.

Another death hits China iPhone maker's plant

A tenth employee of iPhone-maker Foxconn jumped to his death late on Wednesday, just hours after the company's chairman promised to make life better for employees at the sprawling production site in southern China.

The company did not give details of the death but China's official Xinhua news agency reported on Thursday that an initial police investigation indicated the 23-year-old man from northwest China had committed suicide by jumping from a seventh floor dormitory balcony.

The spate of deaths has thrown a spotlight on the labour practices of Foxconn, a unit of Taiwan's Hon Hai Precision Industry, whose clients include Apple, Hewlett Packard and Sony Ericsson.

Apple and other clients have said they are investigating working conditions at Foxconn, which has some 420,000 employees at its base in Shenzhen and has come under fire for its secretive corporate culture.

Workers live inside the factory complex and churn out products for the world's leading computer and phone companies in round-the-clock shifts.

Taipei-based Hon Hai spokesman Arthur Huang confirmed the tenth death but denied reports on three Taiwan TV stations that another person, a young woman, had also jumped late on Wednesday, surviving with serious injuries.

Just hours before the latest reports, the usually media shy Foxconn Chairman Terry Gou had opened the company's sprawling facilities in Shenzhen to reporters and vowed to take sweeping action to prevent more deaths.

Gou made another trip back to the plant on Thursday following the Wednesday media tour. Pictures on Taiwan TV stations showed him boarding his private jet.

All 10 of the deaths have been of young migrant workers, among the millions who leave the poor hinterlands of China for the boom towns of the south and east coastal areas in search of work and high wages.

Two others have been seriously injured after also jumping from buildings, in incidents that labour groups say expose the harsh working conditions at Foxconn.

Li Ping, secretary general of the Shenzhen municipal government, told a news conference on Wednesday that the pressure of being away from home with little care from society was part of a complex set of factors underpinning the suicides.

He said the government was joining with the police and Foxconn to consider a range of ideas such as building up sports and cultural facilities to improve the living environment, Xinhua reported.

The firm was training about 100 mental health counsellors and installing 1.5 million square metres of nets to stop workers from jumping, Xinhua said.

The safety nets will cover nearly all dormitories and factories.

"Although this seems like a dumb measure, at least it could save a life should anyone else fall," Gou was quoted as saying.

In a report to clients, Bank of America/Merrill Lynch said that while the incidents would affect Hon Hai's image, they are unlikely to cause a significant impact on earnings, a view echoed by UBS, which noted that Hon Hai remains a "top-notch supplier".

Foxconn shares rose 4.2 percent in a Hong Kong market up 1.2 percent, having fallen to a seven month low earlier this week. Hon Hai shares fell 0.4 percent in Taiwan, with the broader market up 1.1 percent.

In another sign of unrest in southern China, Japanese car maker Honda said on Thursday a labour dispute had shut down one of its parts plants, causing the closure of four car making plants.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Candyman

Feck thats daylight robbery!!!!

Archie Mitchell

Leg End

i Think i heard on here somewhere before that someone knows someone who fixes iphone screen for much cheaper than apple, was i imagining things or can anyone help me?
we're here for a good time, not a long time