3G iPhone

Started by mournerambler, July 30, 2008, 03:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

There's a new upgrade for the iphone which syncs your FB contacts with your phone contacts so their FB profile pic comes up every time they ring you. The person must have their mobile number displayed on their FB page for this to work though.

It also now has push notifications for events as well. Great job it is!!

lurganblue

say this new iphone does come out in july. i'm due an upgrade from my 3G in september. do you think O2 would offer me the new one or try to palm me off with the 3GS?

take_yer_points

Quote from: lurganblue on January 12, 2010, 09:04:40 AM
say this new iphone does come out in july. i'm due an upgrade from my 3G in september. do you think O2 would offer me the new one or try to palm me off with the 3GS?

I think what happened when the 3GS came out was that the 3G became free as an upgrade and th 3GS cost a tidy sum of money which differed depending on the monthly cost of your contract. I'd imagine the same thing might happen - i.e. the 3GS will become free to upgrade (for the 16GB anyway) but the new one will cost at least £100 or something.

Candyman

Quote from: take_yer_points on January 12, 2010, 09:23:34 AM

I think what happened when the 3GS came out was that the 3G became free as an upgrade and th 3GS cost a tidy sum of money which differed depending on the monthly cost of your contract. I'd imagine the same thing might happen - i.e. the 3GS will become free to upgrade (for the 16GB anyway) but the new one will cost at least £100 or something.

Lads has there even been confirmation of the release of the new iphone?
I'd imagine this dat (July) is for America only and it'll be another 6months until we see anything happen over here...
AND it'll be a f**king rip-off!!!!!!!!!!

I got my 3GS upgrade last week and shifted it on flea-bay for £400...

thebigfella

Quote from: Candyman on January 12, 2010, 10:21:11 AM
Quote from: take_yer_points on January 12, 2010, 09:23:34 AM

Lads has there even been confirmation of the release of the new iphone?
I'd imagine this dat (July) is for America only and it'll be another 6months until we see anything happen over here...
AND it'll be a f**king rip-off!!!!!!!!!!

I got my 3GS upgrade last week and shifted it on flea-bay for £400...

Apple's product releases are generally pretty much around the same time and the last 2 Iphone updates was release around the same time. The 2 updates got released globally too (well all the main networks).
I suspect it may be a bit later this year - If the tablet rumors and the multicored processors in the next Iphone iteration are true, they may delay releasing any updates for the time being down to resourcing (pretty much what happened with OS X Leopard and the IPhone).
They have confirmed the IPhone OS version 4 will be out mid this year, I would say that would coincide with a hardware update.  As for price, with 2 other networks now having it available, I would hope it may drive prices down.

offtheground

will the the IPhone OS version 4 be available to load onto your existing phone or will it only be available on new phones? What will it offer over the existing one anyway??

thebigfella

Quote from: offtheground on January 12, 2010, 12:29:58 PM
will the the IPhone OS version 4 be available to load onto your existing phone or will it only be available on new phones? What will it offer over the existing one anyway??

I would assume the OS update would be compatible with the existing Iphones with most of the functionality compatible. Certain functionality would be incompatible due to hardware difference as seen with the 3g & 3gs.

Who knows what will be in the new OS, there should be development release out at some point but up until then everything is pure speculation. Also generally the releases to 3rd party developers generally have all the new GUI functionality/changes taken out. I do think they will allow 3rd party apps to run background processes, meaning full multitasking availability. Although I reckon it will largely depend on the rumor of new multicore CPU being true, as I think any battery improvements is largely canceled out by added a faster CPU.

Archie Mitchell

When your iPhone backs up each time you connect it, where is this data stored at? Thinking about wiping my laptop and re-installing everything again but dont wan't to wipe the iPhone backup. On the Apple site, it says it is stored here - On Windows Vista: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\, but I cant find that on my laptop. Or do I need to keep a copy of this as when I connect iPhone up again on a "new" laptop, it will just start the backup from fresh again.

thebigfella

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on January 18, 2010, 09:14:33 PM
When your iPhone backs up each time you connect it, where is this data stored at? Thinking about wiping my laptop and re-installing everything again but dont wan't to wipe the iPhone backup. On the Apple site, it says it is stored here - On Windows Vista: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\, but I cant find that on my laptop. Or do I need to keep a copy of this as when I connect iPhone up again on a "new" laptop, it will just start the backup from fresh again.

How are you trying to view the files? Are they hidden?

Also I would keep the backup, just in case something happens.

Archie Mitchell

When I go to C:\Users\My Name there is no folders called AppData there. Unless its hidden. How do you view hidden files in Vista?

new devil

I got my laptop wipped a few months a go..didn't think about the iphone back up but everything was still there when got it back

thebigfella

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on January 18, 2010, 10:54:51 PM
When I go to C:\Users\My Name there is no folders called AppData there. Unless its hidden. How do you view hidden files in Vista?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial130.html

Try that.

Puckoon

>:(

Some hewer stole Puck's iphone last night.

Minder

Quote from: Puckoon on January 20, 2010, 05:07:37 PM
>:(

Some hewer stole Puck's iphone last night.

Bollocks to that. Insurance?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Puckoon

There is no insurance for the iphone on plans over here. Its simply not available.

Its more the fact that some greasy mexican f**ker has their hands on my emails, facebook, personal text messages, pictures of the wee puck and all that, plus I had to stand at a phone booth last night pumping quarters in to get bank of america to suspend my online banking!

Any idea how difficult it is to find a pay phone in 2010?!?