Fota in Cork

Started by full back, July 30, 2008, 10:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

Lads,
Has anyone been to this wildlife park?
Is it any good or worth travelling down to see?

AZOffaly

I've been, and it is well worth a visit if you are down near Cork. I wouldn't drive all the way from the north specially, but it's definitely worth a visit. Kids will love it as well.

brokencrossbar1

We go on a regular basis. It is a grand spot and you can take a picnic or eat out of the cafe there.  You can also head across to Fota House for a walk around.  If you are down this way it is a definite runner.  Kids will love it.

full back

Would be coming down specifically to see it.
Either that or see one of those safari parks across the water.
Had a look at the website - was wondering about the range of animals in comparison to other parks
Cheers lads

5 Sams

Quote from: full back on July 30, 2008, 10:56:35 AM
Would be coming down specifically to see it.
Either that or see one of those safari parks across the water.
Had a look at the website - was wondering about the range of animals in comparison to other parks
Cheers lads

Try the neighbouring county ;)
The Aristocrat Years

Hardy

Worth seeing, but not worth going to see, like the Giant's Causeway. No - depends on how far you're traveling, of course and there are probably few enough things in the country that are worth a special 500+ mile round trip. Of course there are lots of other things to do around here, so if you make a few days of it you can take a cruise on Cork Harbour (from Cobh), take a deep sea fishing trip (PM me for local contacts if interested), visit the city, the  English market, Cork City gaol (19th century), Barryscourt Castle, Kinsale, beaches, good food, take in a county championship hurling match, etc.

If you are going to Fota, make sure you're there for the cheetah run - feeding the cheetahs by pulling the meat along on an overhead wire and making them chase it. Kids will love that. I think it happens mid-afternoon - you could contact them to check.

They have cheetahs, giraffes, various monkeys, antelope-like yokes, various birds, including flamingoes, kangaroos, ostriches, zebras.

www.fotawildlife.ie/

turk

Quote from: Hardy on July 30, 2008, 12:03:51 PM
Worth seeing, but not worth going to see, like the Giant's Causeway. No - depends on how far you're traveling, of course and there are probably few enough things in the country that are worth a special 500+ mile round trip. Of course there are lots of other things to do around here, so if you make a few days of it you can take a cruise on Cork Harbour (from Cobh), take a deep sea fishing trip (PM me for local contacts if interested), visit the city, the  English market, Cork City gaol (19th century), Barryscourt Castle, Kinsale, beaches, good food, take in a county championship hurling match, etc.

If you are going to Fota, make sure you're there for the cheetah run - feeding the cheetahs by pulling the meat along on an overhead wire and making them chase it. Kids will love that. I think it happens mid-afternoon - you could contact them to check.

They have cheetahs, giraffes, various monkeys, antelope-like yokes, various birds, including flamingoes, kangaroos, ostriches, zebras.

www.fotawildlife.ie/

and ducks! Ducks are excellent

Hardy

They are indeed. Especially with plum sauce.

downgirl

Went out there one day at the start of 2nd year, to be honest I'd say only go if you are going to be in Cork or somewhere relatively nearby.  We travelled out on the train from the station on Maccurtain Street to Fota, it was only a couple of euro return as well.  I have photos of it somewhere up on my bebo so you can go look if you want see if it would be worth the while!!  They had a wee baby giraffe when we went which was cute!!

J70

I was there about ten years ago. It was pretty nice with the lemurs and the South American rodents (I think they were capybaras) roaming free, as well as the cheetahs, zebras and so on in the field enclosure. Well worth a visit if you're in the area.

Kerry Mike

QuoteTry the neighbouring county

Now now be nice to the neighbours.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football