Where are they now?

Started by irunthev, July 29, 2008, 09:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irunthev

Just wondering if any of you know of any former inter-county players who have gone on to do remarkable / unusual things after they finished playing football. What guys moved overseas, what guys became successful in another field? I appreciate that a lot of inter county players are already successful in their chosen careers when they are playing, but I was curious if any of you know of any who have done anything slightly different or moved off somewhere other than Ireland or England. Media work not included.

5 Sams

From the great Dubs of the 70s
Robbie Kelleher - Economist/Stockbroker
David Hickey - Surgeon
The Aristocrat Years

feetofflames

Theres a fellow played for Carlow in the 80s - and he ran a successful "van and man" handy man business for years until the recession blew his lights out.  
Chief Wiggum

Hardy

I heard Ray Silke went into punditry and match analysis, but that sounds a bit far-fetched to me.

AZOffaly

Gerry McEntee of Meath is a surgeon as well I think. Isn't there also one of the Dubs 70s team abroad somewhere, and has a big job. I can't remember off hand who it is. Maybe Hanahoe?

Brian Cowen is taoiseach :D

under the bar

Enda Gormley does a fine impression of a student in the Welly & Bot most Thursdays thru to Sundays.

feetofflames

Kevin Mc Cabe became a member of the royal family.
Chief Wiggum

feetofflames

Former Armagh legend Ger Reid makes a small fortune polishing Tyrone Celtic Crosses. 
Chief Wiggum

screenexile

Martin O'Neill
Gerry McElhinney
Kevin Moran
Steve Staunton

All represented their county and went on to play professional football for their countries... I'm sure there are more I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

And then you have the Aussie Rules Lads:

Tadgh Kennelly- Sydney
Martin Clarke- Collingwood
Setanta O'hAilpin- Carlton
Aisake O'hAilpin- Carlton
Colm Begley- Brisbane
Brendan Murphy- Sydney
Kevin Dyas- Collingwood
Michael Shields- Carlton
Pierce Hanley- Brisbane

the Deel Rover

sean o domhnaill the galway midfielder will soon be appearing on a reality tv programme on Rte something to do with hotels , failte towers  i think its going to be called all for charity of course
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Orior

Down great, Colm McAlarney, sells exclamation marks to Japanese tourists in the Mourne Mountains.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

feetofflames

Keiran Mc geeny was spotted having a quiet smile to himself in Kildare over the weekend.  Unconfirmed reports suggest it may have been a touch of wind.
Chief Wiggum

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: feetofflames on July 29, 2008, 09:58:40 AM
Former Armagh legend Ger Reid makes a small fortune polishing Tyrone Celtic Crosses. 

Pulls pints in lurgan now...

Lar Naparka

David Hickey may be the one you are thinking of. He is a heart consultant in the Mater in Dublin.
Rumour has it that Ciaran Whelan is shortly going to retire and re-emerge  as a brain surgeon in Addis Abbaba
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

GrandMasterFlash

Ciaran Murray, Monaghan is now a physio with the Irish International Soccer Team.