Why do people say "You Know?" in every sentence?

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, July 28, 2008, 11:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nifan

Orior

I forgot about the Donegal favourite. At the end of sentences they add:

"... and things like dat der"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

screenexile

The worst I've heard is a mate of mine who says "Basically" all the time. It is just used as a sentence filler but someone saying basically 4 times in one sentence sounds extremely condescending!

under the bar

QuoteIn Tyrone, you will find the use of the word "mines", e.g. instead of "that's my ball", "that ball is mines" is used.

Can't say I've heard anyone comin out with that one? 

Orior

Quote from: under the bar on July 29, 2008, 11:13:57 AM
QuoteIn Tyrone, you will find the use of the word "mines", e.g. instead of "that's my ball", "that ball is mines" is used.

Can't say I've heard anyone comin out with that one? 

Yes, I've heard that from boys in west Tyrone.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

nifan

I use "mines" as well.
I'm more uneducated than i thought!

Not as bad as south derrys use of "yousens"

screenexile

Quote from: nifan on July 29, 2008, 11:50:48 AM
I use "mines" as well.
I'm more uneducated than i thought!

Not as bad as south derrys use of "yousens"

Brilliant... yuns and yousens are very prevalent amongst us South Derry folk alright. I'm almost immune to noticing it at this stage!

nrico2006

QuoteIn Tyrone the use of the word "wild", but pronounced "wile", is widespread, e.g. it's wile hot today.

Living in County Armagh (originally West Tyrone) and only recently have I noticed (mainly in e-mails) the use of the word 'wild' where I would have pronounced it 'wile - 'You're a wile man'.

The 'mines' saying is something that I get corrected on too as it must be just a W Tyrone thing.  People from the Strabane area are very fond of the 'you know' statement every 3 seconds whilst being interviewed - the 2 worst offenders of 'you know' I have seen have been from basically the same area - Shay Given and Steven O'Neill.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

under the bar

QuoteNot as bad as south derrys use of "yousens"

My cousins wife in vice-principal of a p.s. in South Derry.  She expects to be principal when the current one retires in a year or two.   Her use of "yousens" and even "n'you-en-zes" is the most irritating expressions I've yet to hear.  When she at one point claimed that part of Donegal was actually in the North I said a quiet prayer for the kids who were forced to be educated under her...