weekend away in Ireland

Started by phpearse, July 28, 2008, 04:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazer

JF's is no longer advertising as being the highest pub in Ireland, its 'FAMED' as being the highest pub in ireland
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

Hardy

Quote from: slow corner back on July 31, 2008, 07:59:50 PM
How many oldest pubs in ireland are there. There was one on the old belfast to dublin road somewhere in meath

The c**k in Gormanston.

[Edit] Feckin stupid censor. C o c k is a perfectly acceptable word and the pub is called the C o c k.

bennydorano

Just back from hols in Wexford last week, but cant shake the holiday bug and thinking of buggering off again for a long weekend somewhere soon,  Many been to Tramore in Waterford? was thinking of it maybe although it's a right oul hoof from ourma.

gerrykeegan

Tramore is a kip. Was staying in Dungarvan for a week this summer, drove over to see it and we drove straight out of it. That was confirmed by somebody I know from waterford. It's full of Dubs (not that I have anything against Dubs, i'm married to one and my son is one)
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Lazer on July 31, 2008, 10:20:40 PM
Quote from: fred the red on July 31, 2008, 10:15:43 PM
Johnny foxes is the highest pub in ireland.

Ponderosa, Derry: 947ft
Johnny Foxes: 910ft

The Ponderosa, now that brings back memories, many is the pint I had in there on the way back from Belfast in my younger days.

Agnes Dipesto

If you are considering the West Coast, particulary Mayo PH, you should check out Clare Island or Achill Island. Would def suit the short break away.

Donagh

Is the Fleadh not on that weekend? Same place as last year - Tullamore.

rosnarun

if you are going tto Mayo you cant beat mulranny .  the old great southern/western hotel now the park inn in the middle of the village is a beautiful spot great golf beaches walks ect . not too far from either westport or achill. Apartments there are top class
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

el Chino

Quote from: Donagh on August 07, 2008, 06:41:19 PM
Is the Fleadh not on that weekend? Same place as last year - Tullamore.

the fleadh is indeed on, cant wait 4 it, will be a good way to round off the summer
and its onli 30eur to camp, eat ur heart out oxegen!!lol

bennydorano

Quote from: gerrykeegan on August 07, 2008, 05:14:52 PM
Tramore is a kip. Was staying in Dungarvan for a week this summer, drove over to see it and we drove straight out of it. That was confirmed by somebody I know from waterford. It's full of Dubs (not that I have anything against Dubs, i'm married to one and my son is one)
What is Dungarvan like?  Didn't actually think it was a 'resort' type town?

gerrykeegan

I think Dungarvan is lovely, its got a recent makeover,they have a lovely park in the centre of it,with a kiddy play area, you can drive up the Copper coast which is stunning, it has a lovely little harbour in it. The gold coast golf club is very good as is Dungarvan Golf club. We werent looking for amusements (our lads only 1.5) and there are none in Dungarvan, Plenty of pubs and restaurants, big shopping centre. Its a mighty trek for you for a weekend, do you own a helipcopter?

bennydorano

Might be a bit unrealistic for a long weekend alright, might do next year's hols.  Had a nosey there,  is that Clonea beach/strand far from Dungarvan?

gerrykeegan

I forgot about that beach, its a about 2/3 miles outside Dungarvan, blue flag if I remember correctly.

The Iceman

Enniscrone is a good wee spot - Ballina near by - good craic in the summer and plenty of ones about

Galway - I would head to Lough Rea too - a lot of bars - great countryside and quiet - 4 hours drive down the road from armagh - stop in garvagh for soup and spuds in Kittys
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

the Deel Rover

Quote from: The Iceman on August 08, 2008, 03:07:21 PM
Enniscrone is a good wee spot - Ballina near by - good craic in the summer and plenty of ones about

Galway - I would head to Lough Rea too - a lot of bars - great countryside and quiet - 4 hours drive down the road from armagh - stop in garvagh for soup and spuds in Kittys

In fairness theres loads of Lovely wee spots and Beaches that are near ballina and slightly off the beaten path , Lacken Strand come to Mind and then there is lough Conn where one of My favourite places to stop for a pint is Healy's of pontoon where the scenery on a good day  is absolutely unreal. You then have Enniscrone and Ballina Golf club beside ya and if you want to travel a few miles you can go back to Belmullet golf Club for a game . Plenty of Fine watering holes in Ballina As well Crockets on The Quay, The Broken Jug, Murphy's, Brennans and of course if you want to talk football then you have to go to Mc's Bar .
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001