How do we cut out violence in Gaelic Games?

Started by feetofflames, July 28, 2008, 02:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feetofflames

Listen we can talk about this, that and everything, but what other sport would encourage moralistic debate about the rights and wrongs of a reaction to a punch.  In the street you get prosecuted but in the GAA we ask if he punched how hard was it?  And does it matter if the punch is to the bonce, belly, balls or bake.  Should there any difference to the punishment, if you are a better puncher and hurt the guy harder? 
Chief Wiggum

bingobus

15 referee's and 5 hrs of video analysis from the 137 cameras to cover every game.

full back

If you strike you have to go, regardless of how 'hard' it is - end of story.
By the same token, the GAA must come down like a ton of bricks on the diving/playacting.

On a side-note, the boys involved in the playacting must feel like right cnuts seeing themselves on TV, especially as it is pointed out on the Sunday Game

Joe Umbrella (hey)

What violence? All I see is f=cking playacting and cheating. A good old fashioned thump on the nose is a thing of the past, I'm not condoning it but's better than jumping to the deck in minimal contact like a soccer person trying to get your opponent sent off!

Brick Tamlin

simple...get Batman on the job, he wouldnt stand for the sh*te!!!..he would sort them divers out. :)

screenexile

How long have you got?

It's a tough call. On one hand there were people on the other week saying it's not a man's game anymore and now we're talking about too much violence. Of course the 2 things are quite separate as there can easily be a dirty game with punches and kicks flying off the ball yet when the ref sees the tiniest bit of contact he will blow a free. It's a strange situation we find ourselves in at the minute with our games and it's going to take a lot of time, will and effort to eradicate it and I don't see any visionary's within the GAAs structure with the drive or ability to sort out our games properly when we're still stuck in the myre of not knowing how video evidence should be used, what is defined as a proper tackle, technicalities etc. etc.

We need someone from outside (possibly rugby or soccer or Aussie Rules) to come in and look at our games and how we structure our playing rules with regard to how we use video evidence, how to get consistency with referees and officials, our disciplinary procedures, how to recruit more referees... maybe then when we get a review from someone on the outside we can work at clening our act up with regard to everything!

dublinfella

Enforce suspenstions. Even if they are a joke. The fact that your club / county can have your punishment revoked, and are willing to do so, sends out all the wrong signals.

feetofflames

Excellent point Dublinfella.  When county boards are appealing their county players suspensions do they ever once think of how the clubs that they simultanaeously are trying to govern, view this? - a case of do as I say!!and not as I do..
Chief Wiggum

Franko

To be complaining about our current game being too violent is ludicrous. The simple fact is that gaelic football (for a contact sport) is not currently troubled by an undue level of violence.  I dont know where the inspiration from this thread came from...

orangeman

Quote from: feetofflames on July 28, 2008, 02:35:57 PM
Listen we can talk about this, that and everything, but what other sport would encourage moralistic debate about the rights and wrongs of a reaction to a punch.  In the street you get prosecuted but in the GAA we ask if he punched how hard was it?  And does it matter if the punch is to the bonce, belly, balls or bake.  Should there any difference to the punishment, if you are a better puncher and hurt the guy harder? 

There is no violence in our game worth talking about and sure don't people go the Aussie games just to see a bit of clipping ?  ;)

Galforever

QuoteWhat violence? All I see is f=cking playacting and cheating. A good old fashioned thump on the nose is a thing of the past, I'm not condoning it but's better than jumping to the deck in minimal contact like a soccer person trying to get your opponent sent off!

Exactly

orangeman

Quote from: Galforever on July 28, 2008, 05:19:30 PM
QuoteWhat violence? All I see is f=cking playacting and cheating. A good old fashioned thump on the nose is a thing of the past, I'm not condoning it but's better than jumping to the deck in minimal contact like a soccer person trying to get your opponent sent off!

Exactly

I'll seconds that as well !

RadioGAAGAA

Listen we can talk about this, that and everything, but what other sport would encourage moralistic debate about the rights and wrongs of a reaction to a punch. 

Sorry, but if your gonna start that "contact" shite f**k off and watch soccer.

Those poofs drop at the faintest touch - I don't wanna see it in Gaelic.

Its supposed to be a mans game - but obviously some players just aren't man enough to play it.
i usse an speelchekor

orangeman

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 28, 2008, 05:27:24 PM
Listen we can talk about this, that and everything, but what other sport would encourage moralistic debate about the rights and wrongs of a reaction to a punch. 

Sorry, but if your gonna start that "contact" shite f**k off and watch soccer.

Those poofs drop at the faintest touch - I don't wanna see it in Gaelic.

Its supposed to be a mans game - but obviously some players just aren't man enough to play it.

The hurlers are by and large great sportsmen wo don't driop like somebody has shot them !