Red card for Gordon and first prize in acting to..

Started by wobbller, July 27, 2008, 11:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Rois, instead of addressing the issue you choose to deflect criticism by saying it had no bearing on the resultant red card. (Incidentally we don't know this, if he had kept his feet it may have looked like a shoulder into the chest). If we choose to turn a deaf ear (or a blind guy) it's only a matter of time before players will be blatently diving in the area and all the other histrionics we see all too often in that foreign game (as Tommy Lyons laughingly referred to it last night  :D).

AZ, you're right, I can't say for definite that Dooher went down easily however I can make a fairly accurate educated guess. Like I said in the match thread, I didn't see the incident but from looking at him on the ground I presume he took a knock in the face. From viewing the replay it wasn't a wild swing with a lot of force behind it, it was a movement from the side of the body out, unless you've been working out with Shane Ryan you're not gonna have much force behind it to someone half a meter away. The minute Dooher got back to his feet he sprinted looking for the ball, anytime I've been winded there's zero chance of me sprinting immediately afterwards. Added to that there are reports on here that Dooher can hold the plank from 6 to 10 minutes, have only started with this myself recently but it certainly firms up the core and I'm nowhere near the 6 to 10 mins... So based on that I'm gonna put my neck on the line and say that IMO there is a 90% chance that Dooher dived in the incident...

I see in the Clancy and Roper incidents that the opposing teams came through so at least there was some justice done there...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Croi, I think you'll have to watch it again on d'Telly. it was a punch, and a punch into the breadbasket. Any punch into the stomach is liable to make you go down if you are not expecting it. He didn't just tickle his tummy or anything.

The fact that Dooher sprinted afterwards is neither here nor there, as he had a couple of minutes treatment as well, so he'd have recovered.

Look, I'd have my doubts too, but in this case he was clearly struck, and it's unfair to assume he dived, even if that's your suspicion.

Rois

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 28, 2008, 02:16:22 PM
instead of addressing the issue you choose to deflect criticism by saying it had no bearing on the resultant red card. (Incidentally we don't know this, if he had kept his feet it may have looked like a shoulder into the chest). If we choose to turn a deaf ear (or a blind guy) it's only a matter of time before players will be blatently diving in the area and all the other histrionics we see all too often in that foreign game (as Tommy Lyons laughingly referred to it last night  :D).

This is getting so boring now.  Did you not see the highlights?  The ref saw the closed fist, do you think it was because Brian went to ground that he gave a red card?  Come on, catch a grip, it wouldn't have been fair if he'd escaped red, would it?  
You say that justice was done in the Clancy and Roper incidents - implying that you believed there to have been an injustice in the Tyrone game - have I picked that up right, you think WM should have won?  

interested

Rois,what is your opinion on the Gordon/Clancy clash?

Rois

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Dont Matter

'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Over the Bar

Pretty damning picture that Joe, even tho he may just have touched heads with no force behind it. 

bridgegael

thats not the sending off offence,  that is before when both gordon and nancy were head to head!
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

screenexile

Don't be shit stirring that is not the incident in question, that was about a minute before the actual incident he got sent off for... the 2 of them were head to head and face to face so there was no backward movement from Gordon to constitute a headbutt. The Sunday game analysis clearly shows Gordon did not headbutt Clancy!

Oh and I am not a Down man by the way!

snatter

Its hard to say from the photo whether there's any actual touching of heads.
You can see that Clancy has grabbed Gordon inside his armpit - if somebodyr did that to you, your instinctive reaction would be to put your head down, which could look bad.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Rois on July 28, 2008, 02:29:08 PMThis is getting so boring now.  Did you not see the highlights?

Yes

Quote from: Rois on July 28, 2008, 02:29:08 PMThe ref saw the closed fist, do you think it was because Brian went to ground that he gave a red card?

Not really, IMO the ref saw Harte's hand coming out and Dooher going down, put 2 and 2 together and came up with 4. If Dooher had just bent over double or went down on one knee it would have been the same result. It is just the manner of the collapse that angered me.

Quote from: Rois on July 28, 2008, 02:29:08 PMCome on, catch a grip, it wouldn't have been fair if he'd escaped red, would it?

No, a strike is a strike, I don't think anyone here is saying otherwise.

Quote from: Rois on July 28, 2008, 02:29:08 PMYou say that justice was done in the Clancy and Roper incidents - implying that you believed there to have been an injustice in the Tyrone game - have I picked that up right, you think WM should have won?

Ah I was just delighted on a personal note for Clancy and Roper that their antics went unrewarded in terms of their team not winning...

p.s. Thanks for the directions last week (although I should have paid more attention to yours rather than Bensars). First left after the Folk Park was a narrow country lane that is obviously a ring road around the Folk Park as I turned right when I got to the end of it and passed what I thought was another Mellon Country Inn/Hotel. I couldn't figure out how they could run two hotels successfully in close proximity to each other and it wasn't till I reached Newtown that I realised what happened  :D It would have been mainly the hardcore support that would have traveled up on Sat, didn't see many groups of kids or day outers, we're a fairly reserved bunch and reflective of the traveling Tyrone support that's been down in Mullingar for the last couple of league games...

nrico2006

Quoteunless you've been working out with Shane Ryan you're not gonna have much force behind it to someone half a meter away.

Croí na hÉireann - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_inch_punch
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Croí na hÉireann

Joe Umbrella (hey)

As mentioned previously the incident in the photo was dealth with by the ref. The sending off offence happened afterwards as we all seen on TV.